Jonathon Brantley

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Jonathon Brantley

Post by WaveProf »

Eastern Illinois is implementing a new "air raid" offense with a new OC, and Brantley was in a 3 man race (as of July22) to be the starter---though they plan to play at least two qb's either way

https://jg-tc.com/sports/college/eiu-fo ... 28e7f.html

Reports from first fall scrimmage (Aug 18)

https://jg-tc.com/sports/college/mixed- ... c4902.html

EIU opens the season at Arkansas, their only FBS game of the year
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Jonathon Brantley

Post by Baywave1 »

I wish all three of our exes well. I think if all end up starting this year (yes, I know two FCS and one JC but still), it will be a compliment to Banks and the Tulane program.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:I wish all three of our exes well. I think if all end up starting this year (yes, I know two FCS and one JC but still), it will be a compliment to Banks and the Tulane program.
I look at it more of a comment on previous recruiting (yes, including by Fritz) that none of these guys, at least one of whom was expected to start next year after Banks departs, landed on an FBS roster.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:I wish all three of our exes well. I think if all end up starting this year (yes, I know two FCS and one JC but still), it will be a compliment to Banks and the Tulane program.
I look at it more of a comment on previous recruiting (yes, including by Fritz) that none of these guys, at least one of whom was expected to start next year after Banks departs, landed on an FBS roster.
Yeah you could say that but I prefer my view.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Loss to Arkansas 55-20

Brantley: 18-25 134 with 1 TD and 0 INT. Ran 12 times for 13 yards.

Backup QB Woodberry 9-15 for 96 yards and 2 TD. 0 INT

Loss to Illinois STate 48-10

Lost the start to WOodberry who went 13-21 for 109 yards. 0 TD 1 INT

Brantley came in in relief: 9-15 52 yards. 0 TD 0 INT. Ran 11 times for 42 yards
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Week 3 loss to Indiana State 55-41

Jonathon Brantley started:
37-49, 443, 4 TD, 0 INT. 9 rushes for 15 yards (leading rusher for the team).

Backup QB Harry Woodberry 2-5, 12 yards, 0 TD, 0 IN
Last edited by WaveProf on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:Week 3 lose to Indiana State 55-41

Jonathon Brantley started:
37-49, 443, 4 TD, 0 INT. 9 rushes for 15 yards (leading rusher for the team).

Backup QB Harry Woodberry 2-5, 12 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
Some experts here said he can't throw the ball.
We deserve so much better
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

He is the only guy Fritz recruited at QB that fits his system. Everyone knew he was hurt his freshman year. Last year, his play against Oklahoma was better than anyone thought it would be. Those stats are very impressive against Indiana State. Wish he would have stayed.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

J. Brantley

Post by tjtlja »

Eastern Illinois loses 41-40 today. Brantley was 25-43 for 288 yards and a couple of TD’s.

Teddy Veal caught 4 passes for 39 yards for La Tech against the tigah.

Glen C. is currently 14-35 for 157 yards against Houston with 9 minutes. Getting beat worst than we did.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: J. Brantley

Post by OGSB »

tjtlja wrote:Eastern Illinois loses 41-40 today. Brantley was 25-43 for 288 yards and a couple of TD’s.

Teddy Veal caught 4 passes for 39 yards for La Tech against the tigah.

Glen C. is currently 14-35 for 157 yards against Houston with 9 minutes. Getting beat worst than we did.
Wish Brantley hadn't left. I'm sure he's happy he's playing but they're 0-4.
Victory is never permanent
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: J. Brantley

Post by gerryb323 »

If only there were a thread with his name on it a mere 4 threads down this page
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Week Four loss 55-41 to Indiana State
37-49 443 4TD 0 INT, 9 rushes for 15 yards (leading rusher)

backup QB 2-5 12

Week Five loss 41-40 to Tennessee State
25-43 288 2TD 0INT, 11 rushes for 38 yards (leading rusher)

backup QB 5-6 105 1TD 0INT

Week Six win 52-38 vs Tennessee Tech
Did not play
Brantley was available, but injured with a hip pointer. Woodberry started and played the entire game. Here's an article about that:
https://jg-tc.com/sports/college/easter ... 58495.html
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

So EIU is 1-5 and their only win was the last game where Brantley didn't play?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:So EIU is 1-5 and their only win was the last game where Brantley didn't play?
Yup
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:So EIU is 1-5 and their only win was the last game where Brantley didn't play?
Yup
Well I'm glad he has really good stats and can throw the ball.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Their entire offense is based around basically never running the ball. He has a lot of yards but also a lot of attempts.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:Their entire offense is based around basically never running the ball. He has a lot of yards but also a lot of attempts.
Their mistake not to take advantage of his running abilities. Glad he's healthy and throwing the ball well.
We deserve so much better
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Pete---considering their odd offense, I'm curious if his throwing stats are that good. I'm too lazy to run the math, but I've recently been convinced by an argument that argues that yards per attempt (minus drops) is the most accurate stat for weighing a QB. I'd be curious what is considered a good number for that stat, and I'd be curious where he rates out.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote:Pete---considering their odd offense, I'm curious if his throwing stats are that good. I'm too lazy to run the math, but I've recently been convinced by an argument that argues that yards per attempt (minus drops) is the most accurate stat for weighing a QB. I'd be curious what is considered a good number for that stat, and I'd be curious where he rates out.
ypa is definitely a good stat for measuring QBs (or, more accurately, offenses)...median for FBS is 7.60. FYI, Banks is 46th (of 116) with 7.87 ypa. Median for FCS is 7.13, Brantley is slightly lower (58th out of 105) with 6.99. Chase Fourcade is just on the plus side of the middle, with 7.34 ypa.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs ... vidual/908
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Thanks for the research ML. And that lines up with what I was guessing.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Week Seven 49-22 loss to Jackson State
28-39 243 2TD 0INT, 10 rushes for 18 yards (leading rusher)

Backup QB 10-22 143 0TD 1INT