Hurricane stuff -

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Hurricane stuff -

Post by PeteRasche »

Sadly it's going to stay that way (or get worse) until one of their reporters is killed. That's pretty much the only way the stupidity will be reined in.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

The Weather Channel can spin it any way they want, but it was nothing short of bullshiat reporting... end of story. It had nothing do with footing.. it had everything to do with a reporter trying to make conditions look worse than they were for ratings effect. Jim Cantore was noticeably bummed out on air Friday morning when the storm was downgraded.. I mean seriously dude, poker face it at least. All the Weather Channel vets know the only time they get watched is during storms... or if the hot meteorologists wear skimpy mini dresses.. which I base on the frequency of texts I get from my perv buddy saying I need to tune into the weather channel.

It reminds me of when the 2008 hurricane (I think Gustav) hit New Orleans... CNN had a reporter live along the Industrial Canal and he was showing how the water from the surge was overtaking the "levee" and it was going to be disastrous if the water got any higher... well, the "levee" was actually the closed metal doors from a loading dock along the industrial canal and of course water was spilling over and through it because.. they were metal fking doors, not a levee. Someone obviously called him on his bullshiat because 1) that reporter was not on the air again and 2) they stopped reporting the "imminent levee breach" again.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

JM, I vividly remember Cantore during one of the gulf hurricanes in the mid-2000s (maybe Ivan), they sent him to where expected landfall was going to be, but the storm turned and it was a light mist and slight breeze where he was... He literally did a report from the back of a moving pickup truck to increase the appearance of the wind. And was visibly disappointed that he had missed out. Meanwhile, some young cub reporter was in the belly of the beast, reporting from in a parking deck and screaming in fear as shrapnel flew by. I'm sure someone back at the base in Atlanta felt the wrath of Cantore once he returned for mistakenly sending him to the wrong place.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

well, I can see you are all concerned about my condition after the storm, so let me update you... there is flooding in my general area.. two routes into Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) are blocked off due to the water overtaking the bridges. Hopefully it will recede as the rain has stopped... they canceled all schools tomorrow... smart move actually because of the detours that are going to have to happen with the flooding.

This morning, we were trapped in our driveway by this downed.. well, I'm calling it a tree, but my wife said it was merely a branch and I should get my a99 out of the car and move it... I was able to do so without the chainsaw.. this time

AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Johnny Mac wrote:well, I can see you are all concerned about my condition after the storm, so let me update you... there is flooding in my general area.. two routes into Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) are blocked off due to the water overtaking the bridges. Hopefully it will recede as the rain has stopped... they canceled all schools tomorrow... smart move actually because of the detours that are going to have to happen with the flooding.

This morning, we were trapped in our driveway by this downed.. well, I'm calling it a tree, but my wife said it was merely a branch and I should get my a99 out of the car and move it... I was able to do so without the chainsaw.. this time

It has been raining up here in the Tri-Cities all day, probably will continue through a good part of tomorrow. My son has been complaining about the flash flood warning that are creeping across the bottom of the screen, thus affecting his ability to look at the various scoreboard components of Sunday Night Football. I think that we have dodged a bit of a bullet; the center was predicted to come over us, but now looks to be a bit east of us. Since we are over 8 inches above average for rain for the year, an extra 3-4 inches would be hard to go anywhere, even up here.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

No denying the TWC reporting has been a joke, but in all seriousness, glad y'all are okay.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:Sadly it's going to stay that way (or get worse) until one of their reporters is killed. That's pretty much the only way the stupidity will be reined in.
In the Submarine Force we said that all lessons learned were written in blood and they usually were. Here’s hoping they learn sooner.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

This is some crap …
Brian McNoldy@BMcNoldy
Don't shoot the messenger, but the very skillful ECMWF ensemble is indicating that once #Florence exits the northeast coast, it could restrengthen, and loop back toward the Carolinas this weekend into early next week. Not too likely, but a realistic possibility.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Disturbances -

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We might want to hope for some rain against Memphis. So far they've only looked vulnerable against Navy and that was in a rainstorm.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

they are listing that yellow x as 10% chance of formation into a tropical system over the next five days
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Revised outlook --

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Florence remnants -

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

sr wrote:Florence remnants -

according to the meteorologist here in Charlotte, that is incorrect
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I'm surprised 54 isn't battening down the hatches for Kirk yet. That's the one with the predicted path right into the Gulf.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:I'm surprised 54 isn't battening down the hatches for Kirk yet. That's the one with the predicted path right into the Gulf.
Probably trying to think of something other than juju our good vibrations for the thread title
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Kirk dissipated per the last advisory
Victory is never permanent
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:I'm surprised 54 isn't battening down the hatches for Kirk yet. That's the one with the predicted path right into the Gulf.
Probably trying to think of something other than juju our good vibrations for the thread title
A rose by any other name...
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

gerryb323 wrote:
wait...you're on to something...we don't need science to help protect us from hurricanes. we just need '54 to start posting good juju threads for the hurricane.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Atlantic view - Kirk has reformed

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

sr wrote:Atlantic view - Kirk has reformed

the NHC doesn't think he's gonna last... they have him dwindling down to a minor depression headed for central America
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

EURO/GFS models trying to sniff something tropical here --

MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

sr wrote:EURO/GFS models trying to sniff something tropical here --

so there may or may not be anything and it could go anywhere?