To those of you going to Columbus

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

To those of you going to Columbus

Post by Fan Since '54 »

If you havn't already started your trek (auto) you will be starting soon (air). Enjoy your voyage. And for those of you who have not already seen the "Script Ohio" live, don't do the "bah, humbug" when this happens. It is probably college football's best tradition...without being prejudice. It is certainly my choice. And definately don't do what the team upriver did...boo it. Respect what the home team brings to the table there.

And last but not least, come home safely.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: To those of you going to Columbus

Post by WaveProf »

Saw it twice at the Horseshoe as a kid, and once at Tad Gormley with my (then 4 year old) band obsessed son, when OSU was practicing for the Sugar Bowl. It really is impressive.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The various videos posted on youtube of the OSU band doing various tributes (most famous probably being Michael Jackson after he passed) are incredibly impressive as well. I'm usually one to want to take advantage of every second of the tailgate, but I plan on heading to the stadium earlier than normal this weekend.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:The various videos posted on youtube of the OSU band doing various tributes (most famous probably being Michael Jackson after he passed) are incredibly impressive as well. I'm usually one to want to take advantage of every second of the tailgate, but I plan on heading to the stadium earlier than normal this weekend.
Yes, this tailgate sounds more interesting than a lot of the away game ones I've been to, but for me it couldn't compete with the skull session (though the music obsessed 6 year old factors into that as well). Either way, a lot going on this weekend on the banks of the olentangy
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

We get it, prof, you're going to the skull session. Good luck getting in the door and if you do, enjoy wearing green in there.

I'll be drinking beer and meeting fellow greenies, including a handful of regulars here who I'd otherwise never meet.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I didn't mean it like it was news. I meant it like "it was a hard decision because the tailgate sounds fun". It's nice to have a gameday location where there's lots of places we'd all like to be, rather than all of us huddled in one corner of the quad as the rest of Tulane's campus doesn't even know a football game is going on. (and yes, I know that is a tad unfair/harsh at Tulane, but you get my point)
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Besides your family and johnny4's (lifelong OSU fans), do you know of any other Tulane fans choosing the skull session over the tailgate (or even over nothing)?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I don’t know anyone else that’s going to Columbus st all, so not a big sample size. I’d guess over half of the Tulane contingent will do the tailgate (I usually do when going to road games). But experience also demonstrates that there will be a good smattering of people at the game who don’t do the tailgate. Their reasons will differ: The cost, not liking group tailgates, wanting to go do other things on campus like the skull session, or not wanting to devote the whole day to the football game (treating the trip as a vacation). I’ve met people at previous away games from each category. I don’t know how the percentages will play out at OSU, and wouldn’t claim to know. Based on yogwf I’d guess a extremely high % are doing the tailgate. But all of my TU experiences have convinced me that yogwf isn’t an accurate sampling of the fan base. So who knows. I wouldn’t claim to be able to guess.

I will say is the first time I can remember not knowing any real life who are going to the game. Lots of people on here seem to be going, including a few I also know in real life, but i haven’t heard of other people I know who are going. That’s a first for a major away game
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

FYI, there was a "Script Saints" played at Saints games back when. I don't remember which band did that (anyone here remember?) but it was very nice. But it wasn't "Script Ohio", by any means.

Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

PeteRasche wrote:The various videos posted on youtube of the OSU band doing various tributes (most famous probably being Michael Jackson after he passed) are incredibly impressive as well. I'm usually one to want to take advantage of every second of the tailgate, but I plan on heading to the stadium earlier than normal this weekend.
And they also, from time to time, let a celebrity "dot the "I". Jack Nicklaus comes to mind. And he is an alum. A relatively famous one. :roll:

Fan since '54
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Watching a man eat Popeye’s in Cincinnati = surreal
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:Watching a man eat Popeye’s in Cincinnati = surreal
Prof being in my town and not even contacting me to see if I'm around = not cool.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Pete—-I flew in an hour ago and am headed to a funeral this evening in Circlevikle. It isn’t a typical trip. The whole reason I convinced the fam to come was timing it to meet more family to finally spread my grandmother’s ashes (been 7 years). Flew into Cincinnati but headed to rural Ohio as we speak
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

PeteRasche wrote:Besides your family and johnny4's (lifelong OSU fans), do you know of any other Tulane fans choosing the skull session over the tailgate (or even over nothing)?
We'll be at the tailgate. I look forward too meeting you! I found you in the background of one of our pictures from the women's basketball game, so I'll know who to look for. :wink:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny4 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Besides your family and johnny4's (lifelong OSU fans), do you know of any other Tulane fans choosing the skull session over the tailgate (or even over nothing)?
We'll be at the tailgate. I look forward too meeting you! I found you in the background of one of our pictures from the women's basketball game, so I'll know who to look for. :wink:
Or just look for the 6'11 guy
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

WaveProf wrote:Watching a man eat Popeye’s in Cincinnati = surreal
It was probably from a gas station :?
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

windywave wrote:
Johnny4 wrote:
Or just look for the 6'11 guy
Pete, if you happen to be sitting in front of an OSU fan, be sure to sit up straight in your seat. No slouching. :wink:

FS'54
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

FS'54, I don't know if you managed to find a way to see the game, but they had band alumni day. They did FOUR simultaneous script Ohios, one in each corner of the field facing each direction, using the current and alumni band members. A 100 year old WWII vet dotted the i facing the main home sideline. It was impressive.

I'm sure the halftime show will make YouTube at some point. The Tulane nod featured a guy surfing (with moving wave behind him), morphing into the word "wipeout". :lol: After that they made a big birthday cake outline for the 100 year old guy, and inside of it had two walking stick figures playing horns, balloons, and other stuff (all of this animated by band members marching around forming these shapes). They then did a tribute to America, playing "God bless America" while forming "USA" across the whole field.

The Tulane fans in attendance were appreciative.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

No I did not Pete. But I did listen on the radio. I tuned out at the half for a while to grab a sandwich, and when I came back Graf was describing just what you discribed. I'm sure it must have been awesome. And I'm gonna try to find a video of that somewhere on the net. Thanks.

About the game. From listening to Graf, it definitely sounded it was like men vs boys. I'll let you figure out which was which. :roll:

FS'54
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUMB played skull session. 6000 osu fans clapping to TU fight song. Then played about 5 more

OSU band played the TU fight song on the field during pregame and formed a Crest T

The birthday cake at half time wasn’t for the hundred-year-old man, it was for the 50th anniversary of the alumni band.

And I’m fairly sure that the wave at half time and surfer was to match the Beach boys song and that the entire arrangement have been created in 1995 by the guy who died that the halftime show was arranged by a memory of

Great seeing Pete, Dr H, and BC yesterday. Ugly first half performance. Did better against 2nd string.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PS: when the osu fan base practices how to spell their state name every five minutes, the student section is responsible for the first O. They had placards that said “eaux”
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

This is what happened yesterday in Columbus @ halftime. Ohio State outdid themselves this time. The Script Ohio part starts at about the 11:20 mark.

https://news.osu.edu/ohio-state-marchin ... -saturday/

Fan since '54
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Heh, prof, goes to show what happens when you are half-distracted by kids and hearing what everyone around you is postulating about what's going on. I couldn't hear the announcer and half the time couldn't even make out the song from where we were sitting. Everyone around us just assumed the surfing guy wiping out was because of Tulane being the green wave, I don't think anyone even knew they were playing the Beach Boys. :lol: And I probably misremembered the cake thing. But the walking guys were awesome. :mrgreen:
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

WaveProf wrote:PS: when the osu fan base practices how to spell their state name every five minutes, the student section is responsible for the first O. They had placards that said “eaux”

From the TP

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... udent.html
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:Heh, prof, goes to show what happens when you are half-distracted by kids and hearing what everyone around you is postulating about what's going on. I couldn't hear the announcer and half the time couldn't even make out the song from where we were sitting. Everyone around us just assumed the surfing guy wiping out was because of Tulane being the green wave, I don't think anyone even knew they were playing the Beach Boys. :lol: And I probably misremembered the cake thing. But the walking guys were awesome. :mrgreen:
Yes, the walking guys were awesome. And I'd of been the same way if (1) I hadn't of happened to be at the skull session and (2) I didn't happened to have a kid so obsessed with music that he went quiet and 100% attentive during halftime (because he was tired, and coupled with the lack of a chairback, he was the epitome of a distraction the rest of the game lol)