The Art of the Upset: Tulane’s blueprint for pulling a shock

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: The Art of the Upset: Tulane’s blueprint for pulling a s

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
waverider wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:I really believed that, in WF's Third Year with his Offense humming along, that this could turn out to be a pretty good game. “The dawn is brief and the day full often belies its promise.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
I had hoped we could keep it close for a half, and that was assuming we’d be 3-0 going into the game. I expect we will play hard and give good effort like OU last year. I think this OSU team is a lot better than that OU team.
That OU team was stacked and could have easily played for the national title. I think we are talking about two very similar caliber teams. But we matched up better with them. They were certainly more porous on defense than OSU will be. It's going to be tough sledding.
Our defense certainly didn't match up well. I think we match up better this week FWIW.
This has me intrigued. Where/how do you think we match up better? You're 100% right about our defense vs OU last year. Though to be fair they put up points on Georgia, one of the best defenses in all of college football last year.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
waverider wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:I really believed that, in WF's Third Year with his Offense humming along, that this could turn out to be a pretty good game. “The dawn is brief and the day full often belies its promise.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
I had hoped we could keep it close for a half, and that was assuming we’d be 3-0 going into the game. I expect we will play hard and give good effort like OU last year. I think this OSU team is a lot better than that OU team.
That OU team was stacked and could have easily played for the national title. I think we are talking about two very similar caliber teams. But we matched up better with them. They were certainly more porous on defense than OSU will be. It's going to be tough sledding.
Our defense certainly didn't match up well. I think we match up better this week FWIW.
This has me intrigued. Where/how do you think we match up better? You're 100% right about our defense vs OU last year. Though to be fair they put up points on Georgia, one of the best defenses in all of college football last year.
I think the defense will do much better vs Ohio State, unless the offense does absolutely nothing. OSU's has far more conservative plays in their playbook than Riley has in his at OU. Riley's mentality is find exploit the weaknesses for big chunks. OSU's wants to impose their will by playing stronger and sharper. Imposing your will and wanting to "work on stuff" don't always work real when the latter is part of your gameplan. So the less OSU's offensive game-plan respects us the better. They will wan't to grade their O-line out on basic run plays and practice short timing routes with their QB. OU's "work on stuff" mode was going pedal to the metal all of the time.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

TCU has one of the most aggressive and fastest defenses in the country and held Ohio State to 28 points (I think OSU had two defensive scores) and 500+ yards. We are giving up on average about 500 yards a game. I cannot see any scenario where our young pups up front will be able to slow this juggernaut down.

On offense, we will do nothing if our QB cannot execute.

If you were betting the game, would you lay the 37?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tjtlja wrote:TCU has one of the most aggressive and fastest defenses in the country and held Ohio State to 28 points (I think OSU had two defensive scores) and 500+ yards. We are giving up on average about 500 yards a game. I cannot see any scenario where our young pups up front will be able to slow this juggernaut down.

RE: I am betting they don't bring their "A" game-plan. Let me explain. The amount of plays coaches have in their playbooks are in the triple digits. However, each week they only practice roughly 30-80 plays(these are the plays the play-caller has on his sheet for the week). Those plays are chosen based on how they think their team can be successful against the opposing defenses. However, in lay-up games they tend to take a large chunk of the play-sheet/game-plan and fill it with plays that are not based on the opposing teams defense, but rather plays they want to work on or that involve players they want get experience. Also some times they insert these play to simply not overuse their favorite plays and tip their tendencies to future opponents. We fit into the "Lay-up" game strategy. We are the weakest team they play this year.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote:TCU has one of the most aggressive and fastest defenses in the country and held Ohio State to 28 points (I think OSU had two defensive scores) and 500+ yards. We are giving up on average about 500 yards a game. I cannot see any scenario where our young pups up front will be able to slow this juggernaut down.

As you intimate, it's all about what you think Tulane's offense will do here. Only way to stop OSU offense is to keep it off the field.

Meanwhile Feb 19, 2017 popped into my memory. I saw Tulane disappointingly lose to Army in baseball at Turchin and though I had tickets, I passed going to the Tulane WBB game scheduled late that afternoon. I thought it would be a beat down. Too bad. That was the game Tulane with the ball at game end lost to UConn 63-60 and barely missed stopping its 100 game winning streak and its elite ranking. So this fan gave up in advance but the team and the coaches didn't.

Tulane being a 37 point dog to OSU is probably about right. (I would bet Tulane hard if it moved to 40.) Those thinking Tulane will lose by 35 in each half or 70 overall could be right. Or perhaps we see another result like the 2017 UConn game. Yeah that's a one percenter but you still have to play the game. So let's see how Tulane and Fritz benchmark against OSU on the field not in some idle pregame speculation like mine.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Poseidon wrote:

RE: I am betting they don't bring their "A" game-plan. Let me explain. The amount of plays coaches have in their playbooks are in the triple digits. However, each week they only practice roughly 30-80 plays(these are the plays the play-caller has on his sheet for the week). Those plays are chosen based on how they think their team can be successful against the opposing defenses. However, in lay-up games they tend to take a large chunk of the play-sheet/game-plan and fill it with plays that are not based on the opposing teams defense, but rather plays they want to work on or that involve players they want get experience. Also some times they insert these play to simply not overuse their favorite plays and tip their tendencies to future opponents. We fit into the "Lay-up" game strategy. We are the weakest team they play this year.
Ouch. Reality bites.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Ohio State football vs. Tulane game picks: Weird spot for Buckeyes to cover the big spread?

author says take Tulane and the points, Oh, and on paper thinks we're better than Rutgers and Oregon State.........

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/09/o ... ulane.html
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

The Tulane UConn womens' game is a great comparison.

I agree with the writer that we are better than Rutgers and Oregon State. We drew against Wake Forest in regulation and I believe they are much better than both of those teams. Wake lost by a score to #23 Boston College last week. Rutgers got blown out 55-14 by Kansas, and Oregon State lost a close one to Nevada.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

This thread sucks. The "plan" is play good football, don't make mistakes, and make "the play" that you need to make to win the game. You could say that for just about every game. If OSU plays bad football, makes mistakes and doesn't make "the play" they lose, as would any team. When we win I don't want a celebration I want the team to just walk off the field and start getting ready for next week. Tulane isn't App state in FCS. We have played in the Rose Bowl for Chrissakes. Act like you've been there before.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:We are the weakest team they play this year.
I can't believe we're worse than Rutgers
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:We are the weakest team they play this year.
I can't believe we're worse than Rutgers
Rutgers beat a FBS, we haven't. That said I think OSU probably thinks we are the weakest team. I was speaking from their perspective. They scheduled us as a rent a win. That is reality. I personally think we are better than Rutgers.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:This thread sucks. The "plan" is play good football, don't make mistakes, and make "the play" that you need to make to win the game. You could say that for just about every game. If OSU plays bad football, makes mistakes and doesn't make "the play" they lose, as would any team. When we win I don't want a celebration I want the team to just walk off the field and start getting ready for next week. Tulane isn't App state in FCS. We have played in the Rose Bowl for Chrissakes. Act like you've been there before.
You are right. To mix your point and mine, the complacency that goes along with the gameplan trickles down into the play on the field and more mistakes and less "the plays" happen. I am simply trying to give an opinion why this could turn into a very competitive game.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:This thread sucks. The "plan" is play good football, don't make mistakes, and make "the play" that you need to make to win the game. You could say that for just about every game. If OSU plays bad football, makes mistakes and doesn't make "the play" they lose, as would any team. When we win I don't want a celebration I want the team to just walk off the field and start getting ready for next week. Tulane isn't App state in FCS. We have played in the Rose Bowl for Chrissakes. Act like you've been there before.
You are right. To mix your point and mine, the complacency that goes along with the gameplan trickles down into the play on the field and more mistakes and less "the plays" happen. I am simply trying to give an opinion why this could turn into a very competitive game.
Not could be should be competitive
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If we make good play calls and execute those plays using good choices and without mistakes - like we did against OU for a half last year - we'll move the ball, eat clock, and score. I don't care that the opponent is, on paper, the best Ohio State roster in the history of Ohio State. It's all on us (not saying we win, but if we want to stay close, this must happen).

Unfortunately, after three weeks, it doesn't appear we are making good calls nor making good choices nor playing without mistakes. That's why I went from "we're gonna shock the world" over the summer to "I'm still gonna enjoy it no matter what" now.
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

What happened to guessing the score? Ohio State 48 - Tulane 17. Cover!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

HOO-ahh! That is the atiTUde that is essential to being a winner. It may suck to lose, but it sucks even more to behave like a loser. And it sucks still more to think like a loser. ROLL WAVE!