Notebook: McMillan No. 2 QB

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Notebook: McMillan No. 2 QB

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Notebook: McMillan No. 2 QB

Post by visualmagic »

Nice to see
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

If he’s that far along then getting reps against OSU could be beneficial. If he’s really grasped and understands nearly 100% of the playbook, I’d have him ready to go in against Memphis if things start looking bad again.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

It's a big move to move both Daniels and Ledford to WR. If Banks goes down, that doesn't leave anybody backing up McMillan. Still, good to see him taking the back up role as expected.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:It's a big move to move both Daniels and Ledford to WR. If Banks goes down, that doesn't leave anybody backing up McMillan. Still, good to see him taking the back up role as expected.
If Banks goes down, one of the two will go back to getting QB reps.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I mentioned earlier that our WR depth was very concerning and this confirms it. Why can’t we sign QB’s and WR’s. I thought Fritz reputation coming in was an offensive guru. We definitely need to sign two quality QB’s and three quality WR’s.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

The last few games of last season demonstrated that Fritz will allow a mix of run / pass equally. Before that the prevailing thought was that he was run oriented and only pass if you must. Hard to attract WR and QB’s with that rep. I believe it was more Banks than Fritz, he was comfortable with the run game, not necessarily the pass options, until the end of the season. But Fritz’s rep preceded him.

Would like to see what McMillan can do, a lot of hype. Even with limited knowledge his abilities should be apparent if he plays. Should be fun to watch With the 101,000 buckeyes looking on...
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

This is both good and bad. Good that McMillan is getting closer to pushing Banks for playing time. If Banks continues to play poorly McMillan could takeover soon.

Bad that moving Daniels to receiver shows that Fritz has still failed to successfully recruit a Quarterback out of high school who will eventually become the starter.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Wave Revival wrote:This is both good and bad. Good that McMillan is getting closer to pushing Banks for playing time. If Banks continues to play poorly McMillan could takeover soon.

Bad that moving Daniels to receiver shows that Fritz has still failed to successfully recruit a Quarterback out of high school who will eventually become the starter.
if Daniels doesn't end up leaving like Brantley and McClain, he should have a couple of seasons behind McMillan and Howard to learn and it will be his team for his Jr. and Sr. seasons.. the sad thing is, today's kids think today is their day and if it isn't their day at one spot, they will move to somewhere where it will be their day.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Wave Revival wrote:This is both good and bad. Good that McMillan is getting closer to pushing Banks for playing time. If Banks continues to play poorly McMillan could takeover soon.

Or at least ready to be third string this year just in case. It doesn not inspire much confidence in this staff to recruit the skill positions. So far the best running back they have recruited came in as a QB. Mooney is only skill player that has panned out at the position he was recruited at.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

+1 Wave Revival

and as has been argued, play Banks against OSU so he can get his brains beat in playing Hero Ball, give McMillan another week to get ready and then play him, see what he's got.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:the sad thing is, today's kids think today is their day and if it isn't their day at one spot, they will move to somewhere where it will be their day.
This is the problem. I don't know if we tell the kids when we're recruiting then that they will come in and be the starter, but Banks was clearly going to be the starter, if healthy, this year. Brantley and McClain had to know that. If they wanted to red shirt and compete for next year, I have to think Willie would have been happy to have that discussion, especially with the new rules. It's completely unreasonable for a 2 star recruit to expect to start from day 1, and if they don't get to do that they transfer. I mean I like the confidence, but let's live in reality.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

What exactly does a 3rd string QB do besides sit on the bench and hope the first two get hurt? Daniels is/will be very much in the QB competition next spring and fall unless the two transfers are clearly better. Ledford moved to WR last year but was competing for back up QB this season until McMillan emerged. Just seems like a lot of panic over nothing.

We need to get that first good QB so other good QBs will want to come here. We had hoped Banks would have a big season and put the offense “on the map” with other dual threat QBs. So far, not so good.
Tulane Greenbackers

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

QBs are frequently if not the best close to the best athlete on the team. Get playmakers on the field however you can. Discussion closed
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:QBs are frequently if not the best close to the best athlete on the team. Get playmakers on the field however you can. Discussion closed
ahh.. the Hines Ward theory... recruited as a QB... moved to RB, back to QB, over to WR.. had a decent career as a WR in the pros.. you may have heard of him

or if you prefer a Tulane angle, Jerome McIntosh... or how about Darius Bradwell?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:QBs are frequently if not the best close to the best athlete on the team. Get playmakers on the field however you can. Discussion closed
ahh.. the Hines Ward theory... recruited as a QB... moved to RB, back to QB, over to WR.. had a decent career as a WR in the pros.. you may have heard of him

or if you prefer a Tulane angle, Jerome McIntosh... or how about Darius Bradwell?
What part of discussion closed was hard to understand? :king:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

waverider wrote:What exactly does a 3rd string QB do besides sit on the bench and hope the first two get hurt? Daniels is/will be very much in the QB competition next spring and fall unless the two transfers are clearly better. Ledford moved to WR last year but was competing for back up QB this season until McMillan emerged. Just seems like a lot of panic over nothing.

We need to get that first good QB so other good QBs will want to come here. We had hoped Banks would have a big season and put the offense “on the map” with other dual threat QBs. So far, not so good.

Panic should be running rampant through Tulane. We need to win now. There are no more mulligans. And you cannot win without a top tier QB, especially at Tulane. We are already behind in recruiting as we have no QB’s committed for next year and signing day is around the corner. Will WF have to settle on another QB prospect that doesn’t fit his system. Panic/Utmost urgency is where we are and now add WR to that list. Do you realize we are recruiting OL to run an offensive system that our QB’s cannot execute. Sign a couple of QB’s that can challenge any starter we have. That is a must going into next year.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:the sad thing is, today's kids think today is their day and if it isn't their day at one spot, they will move to somewhere where it will be their day.
This is the problem. I don't know if we tell the kids when we're recruiting then that they will come in and be the starter, but Banks was clearly going to be the starter, if healthy, this year. Brantley and McClain had to know that. If they wanted to red shirt and compete for next year, I have to think Willie would have been happy to have that discussion, especially with the new rules. It's completely unreasonable for a 2 star recruit to expect to start from day 1, and if they don't get to do that they transfer. I mean I like the confidence, but let's live in reality.
Brantley was here for two years. I think the writing was on the wall that he would not play this year and decided to take his talents elsewhere. I think WF made a mistake with this kid. And I don’t blame the kid for leaving. These student athletes bust there azz every single day. They want to play. You would want the play if you were good enough, and realistically knew you could start elsewhere. Coaches come and go, and schemes and personnel change. I don’t think anyone on this board would stay at a school knowing they should be playing more and can get that opportunity elsewhere.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

If panic is running rampant at Tulane then we have a bigger problem than recruiting. We as fans can be concerned/worried/frustrated/urgently wanting results, but I sure hope our coaching staff isn't panicking. You said we need to bring in 2 QBs and 3 WRs in another post. Well, we already have 1 QB in for next year in Howard, plus we know we get McMillan back and that doesn't count the two we just moved to WR. We definitely need to improve at the position, but we don't need to act like the cupboard is totally bare. Mooney and Encalade are just Juniors. We should be bringing in guys to replace them, but as far as next year (this year too) is concerned, we are looking for a #3 WR. Signing day will be here soon, but there's still time to haul in guys in key positions.

I'm not saying you don't have some very valid concerns tj, but when you express them in full panic mode it makes what you're saying lose credibility.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:If panic is running rampant at Tulane then we have a bigger problem than recruiting. We as fans can be concerned/worried/frustrated/urgently wanting results, but I sure hope our coaching staff isn't panicking. You said we need to bring in 2 QBs and 3 WRs in another post. Well, we already have 1 QB in for next year in Howard, plus we know we get McMillan back and that doesn't count the two we just moved to WR. We definitely need to improve at the position, but we don't need to act like the cupboard is totally bare. Mooney and Encalade are just Juniors. We should be bringing in guys to replace them, but as far as next year (this year too) is concerned, we are looking for a #3 WR. Signing day will be here soon, but there's still time to haul in guys in key positions.

I'm not saying you don't have some very valid concerns tj, but when you express them in full panic mode it makes what you're saying lose credibility.
Encalade is a Sr. so is Clewis our current No. 3.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:If panic is running rampant at Tulane then we have a bigger problem than recruiting. We as fans can be concerned/worried/frustrated/urgently wanting results, but I sure hope our coaching staff isn't panicking. You said we need to bring in 2 QBs and 3 WRs in another post. Well, we already have 1 QB in for next year in Howard, plus we know we get McMillan back and that doesn't count the two we just moved to WR. We definitely need to improve at the position, but we don't need to act like the cupboard is totally bare. Mooney and Encalade are just Juniors. We should be bringing in guys to replace them, but as far as next year (this year too) is concerned, we are looking for a #3 WR. Signing day will be here soon, but there's still time to haul in guys in key positions.

I'm guessing there's a reason we keep moving Ledford to WR and bringing in transfers over him. I don't think we can count on him as a QB going forward. So that leaves us with Howard, McMillan, and Daniels for next year which means we certainly need at least one QB. Since we're focused on running QBs that usually means they can play another position so there's no reason not to sign two.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Outlaw, thank you for the well thought out post. You make valid points.

I think we are in panic mode. And it is bigger than just football recruiting. It has to do with winning, conference affiliation, fan base, and fundraising. We must start winning now. There is a tomorrow, but it may be our final shot.

Since football is king, we need to sign players who can win. And there is no bigger fish to get than a capable QB. I find it crazy we are recruiting OL for one scheme, and signing QB’s that don’t fit that scheme.

Bottom line is that Tulane athletics is in panic mode unless the grand prize is playing in CUSA type leagues for years to come.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Next year we have two legit D-1 QB's in Howard and McMillan. McMillan will then graduate. So yes we definitely need to bring in two legit D-1 QB's next year. Ledford and Daniels are not capable D-1 QB's. We'll likely have to keep bringing in transfers at the position based on our lack of recruiting at the position by this staff. Brantley and company left because they didn't believe in the current coach to develop them.
We deserve so much better
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I still contend that this Staff needs to bring in a QB Coach who can help spot, then recruit and finally develop a top QB. Or at least one that will understand and have the skill set to run this Offense.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The development aspect has certainly been troubling. I don't think anyone thought we'd see this level of regression from Banks in his second year.