Cincinnati Roll Call

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Cincinnati Roll Call

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Anyone coming in for this one?

Tulane has been in contact with our local chapter president, there will be an official (but much smaller scale than OSU) tailgate party thrown. No details yet, the Tulane folks were completely swamped on the OSU one until this past weekend.

I'm not expecting much of a turnout - for one thing, they have not sent a peep to even the local Cincinnati area alumni yet.

As mentioned in another thread, game is at Noon ET, 11 am CT. ESPN2 or ESPNU.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Cincinnati Roll Call

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I guess I missed details on this so please reeducate me. Did you folks break 200 for OSU tailgate? Worth the $55?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Baywave1 wrote:I guess I missed details on this so please reeducate me. Did you folks break 200 for OSU tailgate? Worth the $55?
Yes and yes
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:I guess I missed details on this so please reeducate me. Did you folks break 200 for OSU tailgate? Worth the $55?
Yes and yes.

Final attendance was around 225 or so, though a handful of name tags went unclaimed. There were a lot of people who did not do the official tailgate (most, if not all, of the Greenbackers) so we had way more than that at the game. OSU has a room they reserve for visiting tailgates, so it was nice. Large room with food at one end, a couple of drink stations. Patio outside with some high tables, a bar, and a couple of cornhole sets. TUMB came through early and played, handed out doubloons and beads. Food was good. Fitts and the Dannens were there. Amy Dannen came by our table and gave my kids nice Nike angry wave t-shirts (arguably would have cost more than half a tailgate entrance fee). I spent so much time chatting with folks that I definitely didn't eat and drink $55 worth, but I didn't feel cheated at all because it wasn't about that to me.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Thanks for the report folks. I think these events should be nice and self-funding but $55 was most I had ever heard of for comparable party. Glad it was worth it.

Invite all your UC buds from work and make them drink Green Wave beer for UC event. :mrgreen:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:Invite all your UC buds from work and make them drink Green Wave beer for UC event. :mrgreen:
I'd be torn between punishing our enemies by making them drink it vs. admitting something so bad has our name on it.

BTW, the food and drink at the tailgate seemed to be a package deal by OSU. Beer was longneck domestics and Blue Moon (maybe one other non-domestic). Nothing special or New Orleans specific. They did have "visitor's beer" in the stadium and the choice was Abita Purple Haze.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: They did have "visitor's beer" in the stadium and the choice was Abita Purple Haze.
Seems ubiquitos and popular in the midwest. I have friends from Michigan who drink it a lot. When they visited NOLA they were "shocked" to find out Abita makes "other beer besides purple haze"

The stadium also had NOLA themed food. "Cajun hamburgers with crawfish gumbo and jalepeno cheese". Sounds, um, disgusting. And I'm not sure what they are calling gumbo is a gumbo.....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Tailgate info just hit Facebook. $25 for adults, $15 for under 21,12 and under free. Food TBD.

I'm guessing they're expecting a small turnout...
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:Tailgate info just hit Facebook. $25 for adults, $15 for under 21,12 and under free.
Roll with the Wave as we take on the Cincinnati Bearcats! The tailgate will take place on Sheakley Lawn, right next to the visitors entrance to the stadium. Come join fellow alumni for food, drinks, and plenty of fun! More information and parking maps coming soon.

For food there will be Scrambled Eggs, Breakfast Potatoes with Peppers and Onions, Crisp Bacon, Sausage Links, Assorted Muffins and Danish. There will also be a selection of Coffee, Decaf and Orange Juice, as well as Craft/Domestic Beer, Wine, Mimosa's, Soda and Water to drink.
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Unread post by tumbuuh »

Really glad to see that the alumni office is being more proactive in getting tailgates set up at away games. There was a time they were completely MIA even when alumni were reaching out to them about it. And breakfast and mimosas sounds like a great idea for an early game.
We praise thee for thy future, Alma Mater;
The vista of its glory gleameth far.
We shall ever be part of thee, great Mother;
Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

tumbuuh wrote:And breakfast and mimosas sounds like a great idea for an early game.
Breakfast is my favorite meal, so bacon, eggs, and booze is pretty close to perfect for me. :mrgreen:
windywave
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:And breakfast and mimosas sounds like a great idea for an early game.
Breakfast is my favorite meal, so bacon, eggs, and booze is pretty close to perfect for me. :mrgreen:
Kegs and eggs
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Kegs and eggs
I almost wrote "countdown to windy saying 'kegs and eggs... 4...3...2.."
windywave
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Kegs and eggs
I almost wrote "countdown to windy saying 'kegs and eggs... 4...3...2.."
That's how college football was intended to be played.
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:Breakfast is my favorite meal,
Hipster :coolshades:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Stupid Double Post
Last edited by windywave on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
How is that hipster? Sure if you have vegan egg and tofu omelet with gluten free avocado toast maybe (or you pay 9 bucks to mix captain crunch and cocoa pops) but otherwise no frick way.
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote:
If anyone actually believes liking breakfast is a hipster thing, they're an idiot (and I know you were joking prof, but you obviously got the idea from somewhere).

... seriously, hipsters can't claim breakfast is theirs... I'll punch somebody in their fake hornrims and rip out their pretentious beard if I have to...
WaveProf
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote: If anyone actually believes liking breakfast is a hipster thing, they're an idiot (and I know you were joking prof, but you obviously got the idea from somewhere).

... seriously, hipsters can't claim breakfast is theirs... I'll punch somebody in their fake hornrims and rip out their pretentious beard if I have to...

Being overly defensive and resorting to threatening violence ALSO sounds pretty hipster to me :coolshades:

Obviously I was completely joking. And no one owns breakfast. But I think the joking about breakfast with hipsters comes from the recent obsession with places in New Orleans that seem like a diner, feel like a diner, but close at 1 or 2 PM and ONLY offer breakfast. There is practically one on every corner on Magazine and int he CBD (I think the marigny too), and usually a line out the door. It isn't a bad thing per se, Slim Goodies (one of those places) is one of the few non chain restraurants left on that stretch of magazine. But it is amazing how we suddenly got SO many all breakfast places, and how super popular they are. Hence people joking about breakfast/hipsters
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote:Being overly defensive and resorting to threatening violence ALSO sounds pretty hipster to me :coolshades:
Yeah, hipsters are known to be violence-prone, right? :lol:
WaveProf wrote:But I think the joking about breakfast with hipsters comes from the recent obsession with places in New Orleans that seem like a diner, feel like a diner, but close at 1 or 2 PM and ONLY offer breakfast. There is practically one on every corner on Magazine and int he CBD (I think the marigny too), and usually a line out the door. It isn't a bad thing per se, Slim Goodies (one of those places) is one of the few non chain restraurants left on that stretch of magazine. But it is amazing how we suddenly got SO many all breakfast places, and how super popular they are. Hence people joking about breakfast/hipsters
What I don't understand is how it took McDonald's like 40 years to think, "hmmm, maybe folks would like breakfast food after 10:30 am" and how they were SHOCKED at the huge hit it immediately became and how much their earnings jumped. I mean, c'mon, it's breakfast. The main provider of bacon. :!:

It would be funny if the actual business sense decision behind these "breakfast only" places were descendant from McDonald's decision. Hipsters being influenced by McDonald's is an amusing thought.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:Yeah, hipsters are known to be violence-prone, right? :lol:
Maybe its just the hipsters in Uptown NOLA, but I'm always shocked by how predictably bro-ish male hipsters tend to get once they feel "triggered". hence my joke

PeteRasche wrote:It would be funny if the actual business sense decision behind these "breakfast only" places were descendant from McDonald's decision. Hipsters being influenced by McDonald's is an amusing thought.
Now THAT's funny
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

By the way, attendance for this tailgate is enough to make them never do it again.

As of about 30 minutes ago, the registration list was... ME.

I have two friends I know are coming who haven't signed up yet, so that makes three. And then my former teammate Antonio Jackson (a born and raised Chicagoan who had the sense to move here... just kidding windy) just signed up with a couple of guests. So I guess we'll spend two hours reminiscing about Tulane basketball in the early 90s and getting REALLY drunk. Hey, someone's gotta drink all that beer and mimosas...
:angel:
windywave
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:By the way, attendance for this tailgate is enough to make them never do it again.

As of about 30 minutes ago, the registration list was... ME.

I have two friends I know are coming who haven't signed up yet, so that makes three. And then my former teammate Antonio Jackson (a born and raised Chicagoan who had the sense to move here... just kidding windy) just signed up with a couple of guests. So I guess we'll spend two hours reminiscing about Tulane basketball in the early 90s and getting REALLY drunk. Hey, someone's gotta drink all that beer and mimosas...
I'm thinking it will be similar in Ames.... I'm already signed up for Northwestern and have pretty solid commitments (for an event in two years) from people including non Tulane people.
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:I have two friends I know are coming who haven't signed up yet, so that makes three. And then my former teammate Antonio Jackson (a born and raised Chicagoan who had the sense to move here... just kidding windy) just signed up with a couple of guests. So I guess we'll spend two hours reminiscing about Tulane basketball in the early 90s and getting REALLY drunk. Hey, someone's gotta drink all that beer and mimosas...
Honestly, that sounds like a good time.... :lol: