Unintended Consequences

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unintended Consequences

Post by WaveProf »

New rule go in effect this year:

1) preventing schools to limit where one can transfer

2) allowing players to redshirt even if they play in up to four games.

I'm not sure many predicted those rules to be used TOGETHER (along with the graduate tranfer rule) to allow seniors to play four games, be unhappy with their touches and/or playing time, and then quit the team planning to transfer and play a fifth year. But it's precisely what two WR's (one for OK State and one for Arkansas) are doing.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... t-transfer

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... s-transfer
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Unintended Consequences

Post by gerryb323 »

Yeah, there's been even more than that. I'm curious why they wouldn't have to sit out the first 4 games next year to fulfill the year off, but I don't know the exact rules and don't have the time to look it up
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Yeah, there's been even more than that. I'm curious why they wouldn't have to sit out the first 4 games next year to fulfill the year off, but I don't know the exact rules and don't have the time to look it up
Well, since four or less games don't "count"...
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Yeah, there's been even more than that. I'm curious why they wouldn't have to sit out the first 4 games next year to fulfill the year off, but I don't know the exact rules and don't have the time to look it up
They don't count toward the redshirt year, but I thought you had to do a "year in residence" when you transfer. I guess with the grad transfers that is moot, but some of the guys transferring are not grad transfers
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:New rule go in effect this year:

1) preventing schools to limit where one can transfer

2) allowing players to redshirt even if they play in up to four games.

I'm not sure many predicted those rules to be used TOGETHER (along with the graduate tranfer rule) to allow seniors to play four games, be unhappy with their touches and/or playing time, and then quit the team planning to transfer and play a fifth year. But it's precisely what two WR's (one for OK State and one for Arkansas) are doing.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... t-transfer

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... s-transfer
Hmm... the OK state reciever in question is our newest coaches son. :wink:
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
They don't count toward the redshirt year, but I thought you had to do a "year in residence" when you transfer. I guess with the grad transfers that is moot, but some of the guys transferring are not grad transfers
If they're not grads, they'd have to sit out the entire next season, so they'd be better off playing out the whole year and then redshirting the next season at the new school. Guessing this quirk only applies to those who will graduate and then transfer.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Looks like the QB. Who started the first four games for Clemson is going to do the same thing
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Clemson and Alabama in particular have churned QBs but it's obviously universal as we have seen at LSU and TU.

Maybe it's my libertarian streak but folks should be allowed to go where they want to for school same as we pick our employer. (Yes, Don Quixote here is against professional drafts too.)

Meanwhile let's see where the OK SU fellow lands??? :-D
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:Maybe it's my libertarian streak but folks should be allowed to go where they want to for school same as we pick our employer.
I’m split. Part of me longs for the days when as a kid in the 60s we knew every player on the Red Sox and the player spent his entire career there. Those days are gone forever. That chimera got a stake through my heart when the Rocket wound up, after a cup of coffee with the Blue Jays, with the Evil Empire.

Then you have the other side of the coin when in my GE days Jack Welch said “on Fridays we’re even”. It’s hard to stay loyal to a team when the players are ephemeral but then as college sports fans we should know better because the players are only leased for a few years. This new rule just makes the lease agreement effective for the first month of a season.

WaveProf named the OP well. It’s getting to where any organization should have a person whose sole job is to look at any proposed new policy and say “what’s the worst that could happen?” What is the most ridiculous thing that might happen after I take off my blinders of ...”that could never happen!”? Call it the Vice President of WTF!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I like the new red shirt rule and massively like graduate transfer rule, for just the reasons Bay implies. But the unintended consequence of being able to combine the two is a bit more suspect to me. But I think it will be a rare enough thing that it’ll be far from disaster.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Baywave1 wrote:Clemson and Alabama in particular have churned QBs but it's obviously universal as we have seen at LSU and TU.

Maybe it's my libertarian streak but folks should be allowed to go where they want to for school same as we pick our employer. (Yes, Don Quixote here is against professional drafts too.)

Meanwhile let's see where the OK SU fellow lands??? :-D
I am comparable to Ron Swanson and the I view the draft differently differently in that the players actually play for the league since it is the actual corporation(NFL) and not the semi-franchised branches(teams).
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

TUPF wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Maybe it's my libertarian streak but folks should be allowed to go where they want to for school same as we pick our employer.
I’m split. Part of me longs for the days when as a kid in the 60s we knew every player on the Red Sox and the player spent his entire career there. Those days are gone forever. That chimera got a stake through my heart when the Rocket wound up, after a cup of coffee with the Blue Jays, with the Evil Empire.

Then you have the other side of the coin when in my GE days Jack Welch said “on Fridays we’re even”. It’s hard to stay loyal to a team when the players are ephemeral but then as college sports fans we should know better because the players are only leased for a few years. This new rule just makes the lease agreement effective for the first month of a season.

WaveProf named the OP well. It’s getting to where any organization should have a person whose sole job is to look at any proposed new policy and say “what’s the worst that could happen?” What is the most ridiculous thing that might happen after I take off my blinders of ...”that could never happen!”? Call it the Vice President of WTF!
Wade Boggs was worse.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote:I like the new red shirt rule and massively like graduate transfer rule, for just the reasons Bay implies. But the unintended consequence of being able to combine the two is a bit more suspect to me. But I think it will be a rare enough thing that it’ll be far from disaster.
It's happened like 8 times this week already
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:Looks like the QB. Who started the first four games for Clemson is going to do the same thing
I think Bryant's play will be now be...
2018- redshirt; 2019- JC; then two years of eligibility left at a FBS school
if he didn't redshirt this year he would a) have to red shirt at FBS school and then only have one year of eligibility. or B) play one year at a JC and one at FBS
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

The big problem is that there are very weak incentives for kids to stay.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Looks like the QB. Who started the first four games for Clemson is going to do the same thing
if he didn't redshirt this year he would a) have to red shirt at FBS school and then only have one year of eligibility. or B) play one year at a JC and one at FBS
Bryant's a senior. he'll redshirt this year then grad transfer for next year. he only has one year of eligibility left.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I can't help but think a coach is going to get burned by this (i.e. Lawrence gets hurt and Clemson doesn't have Bryant to fall back on) and it will be no more Mr. Nice Coaches.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:I can't help but think a coach is going to get burned by this (i.e. Lawrence gets hurt and Clemson doesn't have Bryant to fall back on) and it will be no more Mr. Nice Coaches.
Unintended consequences. :wink:
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Bryant's a senior. he'll redshirt this year then grad transfer for next year. he only has one year of eligibility left.
You are right. i was confusing him with Johnson their 5 star Soph who left this summer.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

From ESPN: "How Coaches are Prepping for When, not If, QB's Transfer"

http://www.espn.com/college-football/in ... -transfers
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:From ESPN: "How Coaches are Prepping for When, not If, QB's Transfer"

If I was a 4 or 5 star and I wanted to play earlier I would consider a mid to lower level FBS school were I could play immediately and not be trumped one year later by the staff's next shiny new toy. As far as the draft goes its pretty proven that there is little to no reason to go to a top 10 school to raise your value. I think there is a stat about the Big 10 not having a QB drafted in the first round since Kerry Collins or something like that. Like 20 years. Look at Oliver from Houston. He is the perfect example how to go to a mid level program. The main reason I think they are going is they are being paid. It isn't about winning championships because if that was the case they wouldn't transfer.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:I can't help but think a coach is going to get burned by this (i.e. Lawrence gets hurt and Clemson doesn't have Bryant to fall back on) and it will be no more Mr. Nice Coaches.
Maybe if they were nice in the first place, the kids wouldn't transfer?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
Well they make as many promises as politicians in some cases.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Well they make as many promises as politicians in some cases.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:From ESPN: "How Coaches are Prepping for When, not If, QB's Transfer"

If I was a 4 or 5 star and I wanted to play earlier I would consider a mid to lower level FBS school were I could play immediately and not be trumped one year later by the staff's next shiny new toy. As far as the draft goes its pretty proven that there is little to no reason to go to a top 10 school to raise your value. I think there is a stat about the Big 10 not having a QB drafted in the first round since Kerry Collins or something like that. Like 20 years. Look at Oliver from Houston. He is the perfect example how to go to a mid level program. The main reason I think they are going is they are being paid. It isn't about winning championships because if that was the case they wouldn't transfer.
North Dakota State