Seat License

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Seat License

Post by windywave »

Baywave1 wrote:One additional point: Tulane's donation policy for years has been that "every boat floats on its own bottom" from a contribution standpoint. Med donations gets you med benefits, Athletics gets you seat preferences, etc. Common policy across many American Universities but by definition it sometimes does not encourage intra-University teamwork.

LSU to encourage donations to its academic and research sides (which have been anemic by any measure with a notable exception or two like Pennington) now will give you Tiger Athletic Foundation credits/benefits for some giving to non-Athletics.

I'm not advocating Tulane adopt this LSU holistic approach. Just noting others nearby are doing it.
All donations go into the same pot at Tulane, you're just ear marking them for athletics. This caused me confusion the first time I donated
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
LSU Law Greenie
Coach Level

Post by LSU Law Greenie »

windywave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:My only issue is the per seat pricing hurts the 6.3 % of fans who have season tickets in all 3 major sports in premium sections. Currently you can buy 2 or 4 seats in the best premium sections for a $1,500 donation (coaches corner level). Under the new plan, 2 season tickets in the 3 major sports in those sections would require a seat donation of $2,200 before you pay for the actual tickets, 4 season tickets would be double or $4,400 for your seat donation.

Its even worse for me personally as I have 16 football season tickets, 4 in baseball and 4 in men's basketball. I usually use 4 to 6 football tickets a game and then give the others away to clients, friends, or just people I know who can't afford to bring their kids to the games. I know I'm the exception to the rule but the new pricing structure will definitely force me to reduce my number of season tickets, not buy season tickets in some sports and/or move tickets to sections with no annual donation.

Just food for thought.
Come on man, complaining because you can't buy 16 tickets for one donation?
I get what you're saying but forget me and my 16 football season tickets - see above how it affects people with even 2 or 4 tickets in the premium sections.
2 tickets go from a $1,500 seat donation to $2,200 and 4 tickets in the premium section will now cost $4,400. My only point is that it negatively impacts those who do what I think Tulane would want everyone to do - buy premium tickets in all 3 major sports.

If you only buy football or baseball tickets - then this is probably a good deal as you can get better seats for a reasonable price and I understand that. I just don't see where even with the price changes there will be a wave of people looking to upgrade or a major increase in season tickets. For that to happen you have to win on a consistent basis and Tulane has proven unable to do that in any sport as of late.
My name is T. J. Acosta and I approve this message!
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Things work out OK for me. I have been giving at the $1,500 level. I have 4 seats in section 208 in Westfeldt Terrace, 2 seats in section T in Devlin, and 2 seats in section 203 in Turchin. I'm happy with all seating locations. New seat donations total $1,600. $100 more. ( I wish my annual flood insurance rate increase was that low.)
Lady Wave
President's Circle

Post by Lady Wave »

Since I'm being asked to pay more for my seats in front of the press box, I'd like to ask them to keep the fans of the opposing team to a minimum in my section.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Lady Wave wrote:Since I'm being asked to pay more for my seats in front of the press box, I'd like to ask them to keep the fans of the opposing team to a minimum in my section.
AMEN! At moment you can buy tickets ad hoc on the fifty per game for at most face value (and sometimes less on resale market.) No PSL fee needed.

If you are going to charge a premium for premium seating than make it premium exclusivity. No one sneaks into the Glazer seats. Extend the same security to West Side.

Visitor sectiion is supposed to be the North End Zone not the 50 yard line in front of the press box.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Lady Wave wrote:Since I'm being asked to pay more for my seats in front of the press box, I'd like to ask them to keep the fans of the opposing team to a minimum in my section.
Very reasonable request.
Lady Wave
President's Circle

Post by Lady Wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
AMEN! At moment you can buy tickets ad hoc on the fifty per game for at most face value (and sometimes less on resale market.) No PSL fee needed.

If you are going to charge a premium for premium seating than make it premium exclusivity. No one sneaks into the Glazer seats. Extend the same security to West Side.

Visitor sectiion is supposed to be the North End Zone not the 50 yard line in front of the press box.
I sat in Section 101 Friday night to get out of the rain, and all I saw was a sea of blue on the West Side (including some squatting in my seats). The view is crap in 101, but it was nice for once to be among all Tulane fans.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

come up to the Westfeldt Terrace; the last 2 sections on either end between 10 yd line and goal line have great sight lines and require only a $100 per seat donation on top of $175 season ticket price. That's about $45 per game for each ticket.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Has anyone ever considered developing a plan whereby you are required to wear Tulane gear to get to your seat on the east side between the 40s?
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

build a wall (just kiddin') ...SMU would never pay for it.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Things work out OK for me. I have been giving at the $1,500 level. I have 4 seats in section 208 in Westfeldt Terrace, 2 seats in section T in Devlin, and 2 seats in section 203 in Turchin. I'm happy with all seating locations. New seat donations total $1,600. $100 more. ( I wish my annual flood insurance rate increase was that low.)
My flood insurance refund (reduced premium) was almost that big.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Lady Wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

I sat in Section 101 Friday night to get out of the rain, and all I saw was a sea of blue on the West Side (including some squatting in my seats). The view is crap in 101, but it was nice for once to be among all Tulane fans.
I like my spot in 120, but I have a feeling it’s only going to become more of a visitors section as more people migrate out of there due to feeling priced out from having to pay a donation to sit amongst the visiting school’s fans. I noticed a good bit this year that have moved either to the west or to the family section from there.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Roller wrote:Has anyone ever considered developing a plan whereby you are required to wear Tulane gear to get to your seat on the east side between the 40s?
Russia?
Lady Wave
President's Circle

Post by Lady Wave »

randymc wrote:come up to the Westfeldt Terrace; the last 2 sections on either end between 10 yd line and goal line have great sight lines and require only a $100 per seat donation on top of $175 season ticket price. That's about $45 per game for each ticket.
I love the view from my seat - I'm in the top row, but I still feel like I'm on the field. I also picked that side so I would only have the sun in my face if there's a noon game. I really want to stay put. Just wish so many others hadn't migrated over to the home side.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

my seats last year were on the 50 yard line on press box side, pretty high up in that middle section.
now, sit on 30 yard line in Westfeldt Terrace. The new seats are three times nicer, as is the view of the game and the surrounding (Tulane) fans. each to his own, of course.
Lady Wave
President's Circle

Post by Lady Wave »

randymc wrote:my seats last year were on the 50 yard line on press box side, pretty high up in that middle section.
now, sit on 30 yard line in Westfeldt Terrace. The new seats are three times nicer, as is the view of the game and the surrounding (Tulane) fans. each to his own, of course.
I think the 30 yard line in Westfeldt costs more than 35 yard line on the press box side? I'd rather deal with the visiting riff raff than do a big price increase.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

When they were explaining this new pricing system, it will go down for those that have 2 or 4 season tickets, but for the 6% (according to Tulane), that buy more than 4 tickets, it will be a price increase.
This is particularly true, for those that buy tickets to only 1 sport, and most likely 2 sports. If you buy tickets to all 3 sports (football, men’s basketball, baseball), it will cost you more.

The only suggestion that was given, is that you purchase some tickets in the premium area, and then additional tickets in the “no donation” area.

I don’t know how you satisfy everyone - Tulane has to raise more revenue, and at the same time, you can’t get more money out of most Tulane fans. The fans that have been used to donating $1,500, or $5,000 and buying 10 or 12 tickets, are going to be hit hardest. Again, this is supposed to be about 6% of season ticket holders.

In our case, we were donating $1,500, and buying 2 tickets for football, and 2 tickets for baseball. We were in Westfelt for football, and over by 3rd base for baseball. In this new model, I think we will save a modest amount of a couple hundred dollars a year. If we were to sit behind home plate, that savings would probably change to actually costing a couple of hundred dollars extra a year.

Glazer is now a possibility, where it took $5,000 (plus tickets), and a 5 year commitment, it’s now cheaper, if you buy only 2 tickets - $3,000 plus the cost of the tickets.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Tulane has not received many phone calls about the new plan.

If you aren’t sure how this will specifically affect you, please call them. Football 2019 season ticket renewals will start in January, ending in April.

I did ask them to address the issue where visitors can buy seats in certain sections, without having to pay an extra fee. No promises, but they will look at what they can do about this specific issue.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

noladave wrote:When they were explaining this new pricing system, it will go down for those that have 2 or 4 season tickets, but for the 6% (according to Tulane), that buy more than 4 tickets, it will be a price increase.
This is particularly true, for those that buy tickets to only 1 sport, and most likely 2 sports. If you buy tickets to all 3 sports (football, men’s basketball, baseball), it will cost you more.

The only suggestion that was given, is that you purchase some tickets in the premium area, and then additional tickets in the “no donation” area.

I don’t know how you satisfy everyone - Tulane has to raise more revenue, and at the same time, you can’t get more money out of most Tulane fans. The fans that have been used to donating $1,500, or $5,000 and buying 10 or 12 tickets, are going to be hit hardest. Again, this is supposed to be about 6% of season ticket holders.
Bring back the ultimate fan pack deal for people that have seats in all 3 sports?
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I don’t know about the ultimate fan pack, but there are sections that require NO DONATION. That seems to have been lost somewhere along the line.

You will only pay for the PREMIUM areas.

Also Football Season ticket prices will stay the same for next year. It is simply the per seat donation that is changing.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

noladave wrote:I don’t know about the ultimate fan pack, but there are sections that require NO DONATION. That seems to have been lost somewhere along the line.

Also Football Season ticket prices will stay the same for next year. It is simply the per seat donation that is changing.
I don't think it's lost that there are sections with no donations, but 'buy crappier seats or pay more' in a mostly empty stadium/arena/ballpark does come across as a poor message to the small percent of people it affects.

Edit: I'm not one of the people it affects, as it turns out that basketball and baseball schedules are tough to manage with two small kids. How come no one warns you about this stuff??? :-D :-D
LSU Law Greenie
Coach Level

Post by LSU Law Greenie »

MattK wrote:
noladave wrote:I don’t know about the ultimate fan pack, but there are sections that require NO DONATION. That seems to have been lost somewhere along the line.

I don't think it's lost that there are sections with no donations, but 'buy crappier seats or pay more' in a mostly empty stadium/arena/ballpark does come across as a poor message to the small percent of people it affects.

Edit: I'm not one of the people it affects, as it turns out that basketball and baseball schedules are tough to manage with two small kids. How come no one warns you about this stuff??? :-D :-D
THIS!!! Everyone understands that Tulane needs to raise revenue but the easiest way to do that is put a winning product on the field. "Buy crappier seats or pay more" is not how I would approach this. The people who currently have season tickets are the die hard fans - you have to be because you're not currently buying season tickets because we win so much and are always in the post season :roll: I know who the 6% are as I'm one of them and its the same 50 people I see at everything - we go to the big 3 sports plus women's basketball and volleyball games - we go to the games at the end of a season when the post season hasn't been a possibility for months.

With that being said, I've already contacted Tulane and moved my men's basketball season tickets to a section with no donation (let's be honest, until we start winning on a regular basis you can sit wherever you want). I'm not renewing my 4 baseball season tickets - why bother? The stadium is always less than half full (and that's being kind) and I'll just buy individual tickets for the games I go to. For football I'm going to cut my season ticket allotment in half. Oh the joys of being a Tulane fan :mrgreen:

Roll Wave! Beat Cincinnati!
My name is T. J. Acosta and I approve this message!
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

[quote="LSU Law Greenie" I'm not renewing my 4 baseball season tickets - why bother? The stadium is always less than half full (and that's being kind) and I'll just buy individual tickets for the games I go to. [/quote]

For baseball the last couple seasons, I've bought the 5 game packs and redeemed them at the ticket office when i can make it. and for weekday games you can just buy a walkup ticket, as it's cheaper than the per ticket price of the 5 game pack.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

So "crappy" tickets cost less and "good" tickets cost more, and this is a point of contention?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

noladave wrote:Tulane has not received many phone calls about the new plan.

If you aren’t sure how this will specifically affect you, please call them. Football 2019 season ticket renewals will start in January, ending in April.

I did ask them to address the issue where visitors can buy seats in certain sections, without having to pay an extra fee. No promises, but they will look at what they can do about this specific issue.
Not many phone calls because most don't know how they are affected till all the ticket prices come out. You said the prices stay the same but on Tulane's site in the example they give it indicates the price went down. So they shouldn't fool themselves thinking it went over well. Much too early to tell that. Another reason it's too early to tell is because many Tulane fans just stop buying rather than calling and wasting their time arguing with them based on a lack of responsiveness over the years.
We deserve so much better