Cincinnati Roll Call

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Re: Cincinnati Roll Call

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

For some reason this post wound up on another thread....so reposting

I think that Tulane wore their welcome with the casual Ohio area alumni who made the effort to trek to Columbus, who are now not going to invest themselves in another outing with a potential loss so close together.

But as they say: it's better to start somewhere and I too am glad that they are making an effort. Because we have made many away trips where Tulane did nothing. So enjoy the tailgate.

For some reason Tulane doesn't notify THE PARENTS of the players that these tailgates happen and so the parents are left to fend for themselves or just wander around on their own. I remember ONE time when Mary sent an email to the parents about a tailgate and one of the parents showed me the email and said it was the first time in four years they had ever been notified ahead of time about any pre-game activity at an away game.

So Pete: an easy to way to ADD about 80-100 people to your tailgate would be to include the families of our student athletes. It's just a crazy idea.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Not necessarily crazy, but should be SOP. What are the NCAA rules on comping parents/families of athletes?
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

I'm pretty sure they can't receive anything of value.

But I hope that they are being included in the communications.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:For some reason this post wound up on another thread....so reposting

I think that Tulane wore their welcome with the casual Ohio area alumni who made the effort to trek to Columbus, who are now not going to invest themselves in another outing with a potential loss so close together.

But as they say: it's better to start somewhere and I too am glad that they are making an effort. Because we have made many away trips where Tulane did nothing. So enjoy the tailgate.

For some reason Tulane doesn't notify THE PARENTS of the players that these tailgates happen and so the parents are left to fend for themselves or just wander around on their own. I remember ONE time when Mary sent an email to the parents about a tailgate and one of the parents showed me the email and said it was the first time in four years they had ever been notified ahead of time about any pre-game activity at an away game.

So Pete: an easy to way to ADD about 80-100 people to your tailgate would be to include the families of our student athletes. It's just a crazy idea.
Hmmm that's weird, met a player's family at a tailgate. Very nice people
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

sr wrote:Need a bit more participation -

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 42369?s=20
Wasn’t there a pretty big group that went to OSU but not the tailgate? I know most of the Greenbackers that went didn’t attend the tailgate. Besides, most that traveled to OSU aren’t going to go back for Cincinnati.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:
sr wrote:Need a bit more participation -

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 42369?s=20
Wasn’t there a pretty big group that went to OSU but not the tailgate? I know most of the Greenbackers that went didn’t attend the tailgate. Besides, most that traveled to OSU aren’t going to go back for Cincinnati.
The problem is that (we've been told) there are over 1000 alumni in Cincinnati and they are completely disengaged, disinterested, or otherwise "lost". Tulane and Cincinnati once had a strong connection through Procter and Gamble (P&G is based here, used to own New Orleans-based Folger's coffee, Tulane engineering grads would get hired by Folger's then eventually work up through corporate and end up here). But either through poor management of alumni, or apathy of those alumni due to decades of losing, or both, the number of locals who care about Tulane athletics is less than 20.

And yeah, obviously, proximity to the OSU game is a problem. Literally nothing we could do about that. The OSU game was scheduled far before this year's AAC schedule was created.

I should also add, and this is not specific to Cincinnati folks but rather indicative of our alumni base in general, but at the OSU tailgate, I was in a conversation with several folks (in front of Mike Fitts, no less), who, upon mention of the UC game, said, "why are we playing Cincinnati too? They're in the Big East, right?" Seriously. Five years into the AAC and our own alumni - even ones who bothered to come to the OSU game - don't know anything about our conference affiliation.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

I was talking to a recently graduated Xavier alum who bemoans their sad athletics and telling her she can attend our games and current students can get student tickets for Tulane and she was so excited that we play Memphis. She kept asking how that was, I had to explain more than once that they’re in our conference. I think the concept of conferences is just completely lost on the general population just in general.

I talk to my students about it and they don’t understand conferences either. Like they hear “SEC” and understand that, but then everything else is just flyover country.

I once had a firm conversation with parents in the bookstore who kept trying to convince me that I was incorrect about Tulane not being Division 2. This was like 5 years ago.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

DrHullabaloo wrote:I was talking to a recently graduated Xavier alum who bemoans their sad athletics and telling her she can attend our games and current students can get student tickets for Tulane and she was so excited that we play Memphis. She kept asking how that was, I had to explain more than once that they’re in our conference. I think the concept of conferences is just completely lost on the general population just in general.

I talk to my students about it and they don’t understand conferences either. Like they hear “SEC” and understand that, but then everything else is just flyover country.

I once had a firm conversation with parents in the bookstore who kept trying to convince me that I was incorrect about Tulane not being Division 2. This was like 5 years ago.
I keep harping that conferences are meaningless, beyond making it easier on the AD to schedule. It galls me that the "playoffs" are basically limited by conference, even when the best team in the nation happens to not be in a favored conference (e.g., Tulane in '98). The "conference" mystique is counted for way more than it deserves.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Just chillin at the tailgate with Rodney Holman and Jim Boyle.

A little star struck but playing it cool...
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Just thawing out my year old skyline chili (made a year ago for the Cincinnati home game) and thinking about how its gonna suck compared to the real skyline I had two weeks ago in Cincy
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:Just chillin at the tailgate with Rodney Holman and Jim Boyle.

Rodney Holman was in Tecmo!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sprout1550
Coach Level

Unread post by sprout1550 »

PeteRasche wrote:Just chillin at the tailgate with Rodney Holman and Jim Boyle.

Very cool.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Pete---

1) that's awesome for you, I'm truly excited

2) this is awesome for me too. I've been feeling REALLY old the last few weeks. Then I had to google who those two football players were, and realized I didn't know because they graduated college when I was 4 and 6 respectively. I feel like I just got carded at the 7/11 :)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:Pete---

1) that's awesome for you, I'm truly excited

2) this is awesome for me too. I've been feeling REALLY old the last few weeks. Then I had to google who those two football players were, and realized I didn't know because they graduated college when I was 4 and 6 respectively. I feel like I just got carded at the 7/11 :)
You buy your booze at 7/11?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count