Kevin Zhang officially official

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

Kevin Zhang officially official

Post by long green »

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/8 ... class.aspx

Was mentioned earlier but warrants a thread, I say. Welcome aboard, Kevin.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: Kevin Zhang officially official

Post by GreenieBacker »

and, needless to say, we need him. Welcome to the Tulane Family!
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Yes, glad he got in!

Very impressive resume. Anyone know his stats while playing for any of those teams?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Better yet they still list Wood as a signee. Positive sign that his clearinghouse issues will be resolved.

Separate note FWIW they also describe Crabtree and Wood as guards.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

So he played for a team in Indiana that won the national title two years ago, then transferred to the Florida school his team beat and led THAT team to the national title this past year?

So now you play for your local school and if you are good enough, you transfer to another school somewhere else in the country to better showcase your skills? In HIGH SCHOOL?

We're stunned at all the transfers in college... Looks like it's not starting in college anymore.

The word chattel comes to mind, along with all the negative connotations it carries.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

looks like Tulane has also added to their hoops roster, 6-5 walk-on guard Grant Quinn, who had been attending Oklahoma University. He is a Texas native.
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle ... =211178311
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:So he played for a team in Indiana that won the national title two years ago, then transferred to the Florida school his team beat and led THAT team to the national title this past year?

So now you play for your local school and if you are good enough, you transfer to another school somewhere else in the country to better showcase your skills? In HIGH SCHOOL?

We're stunned at all the transfers in college... Looks like it's not starting in college anymore.

The word chattel comes to mind, along with all the negative connotations it carries.
Yeah, this has been going on, combined with a lot of these schools aren't even really schools.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

my buddy snapped a picture of him at the football tailgate along with Ajang, Sehic and another player.. he texted that the entire team eventually showed up to that tent
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:my buddy snapped a picture of him at the football tailgate along with Ajang, Sehic and another player.. he texted that the entire team eventually showed up to that tent
Sure, they had a tent last year too. I don't think this is news...
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Word is in early workouts, Zhang is very athletic and may have best vertical leap on the team. He may not have stature to bang the boards with typical AAC front court guys but who knows? He might jump over them?

Regardless, We have a month or so before MBB hits the court officially. Might as well start the juices flowing......
mandevillewave
Riptide Level

Post by mandevillewave »

If he has a better vertical than Daniels, that would be impressive.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

mandevillewave wrote:If he has a better vertical than Daniels, that would be impressive.
Yeah, Phil Hick'ish would be nice ...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:
mandevillewave wrote:If he has a better vertical than Daniels, that would be impressive.
Yeah, Phil Hick'ish would be nice ...
:mrgreen:

Sure would!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

For some reason, I'm thinking about basketball right now. It would obviously be Hicksian if Zhang has that same combo of height, reach and jump to allow him to play similarly tall above the rim while he adds some expected bulk with the college training and eating regime. I guess we start finding out next month. I'm just hoping he, some, all of the frosh can contribute. All tbd.

Meanwhile I assume Zhang has a decent outside shot that should improve under the development of this staff. Another tbd.

Meanwhile I'm thinking randomly that Daniels could be an interesting football player with his demonstrated athleticism and vertical leap. Now that is true idle speculation but why not after watching the Cincy game today. :?
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

One and done??!!!?!

can't see that happening but if true would boost future recruiting.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

I'm okay with it and BTW .... Damn two NBA drafted in two years would be good
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Especially since Kevin was actually recruited by Dunleavy and Staff
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I'm guessing that kid tweeting it is Zhang's dorm hall mate.

Zhang was not even the top recruit from his high school team and several of the interviews regarding him talked about how he had developed really well during the previous summer and might even start to get looks from low D1 or D2 schools. Then Tulane signed him and a year of MD coaching is going to get him drafted?

I thought the NBA prized defensive ability these days. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he can stop anyone.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:I'm guessing that kid tweeting it is Zhang's dorm hall mate.

Zhang was not even the top recruit from his high school team and several of the interviews regarding him talked about how he had developed really well during the previous summer and might even start to get looks from low D1 or D2 schools. Then Tulane signed him and a year of MD coaching is going to get him drafted?

I thought the NBA prized defensive ability these days. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he can stop anyone.
Pete, Everything you and Zhang's roommate say could be true. Not mutually exclusive. In short, he could be one and done for Chinese pro leagues. Pay there is reputedly pretty good and China/Asia is wildly mad about pro basketball and NBA. Most pro leagues in countries trying to "develop" a sport (like CFL rosters and even U.S. MLS rosters) have minimum required numbers for nationals. Yes most countries have tariffs and local content quotas to protect the home talent for domestic pro leagues. Who knew?

However I'm all in favor of him having the NBA as his stretch goal. Meanwhile can he start in 2019 for Liaoning Scale Industry Flying Leopards??!!

Meanwhile I'm rooting for Tiger Mom insisting he can play pro basketball anytime anywhere after he gets that Tulane diploma!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Ya know, bay, I hadn't even thought of the idea that he might leave to play pro over there (the phrase "one and done" has such an NBA assumption tied to it). You're absolutely right. I mean, if France had the pay and the options available, Ona Embo probably would be gone too...