Hullabaloo goes AFTER the Extra Point

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Hullabaloo goes AFTER the Extra Point

Post by DrHullabaloo »

I am just making sure that this is reiterated since the TU staff at the watch party tried juju-ing our ep.

That is all, everyone else carry on.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Hullabaloo goes AFTER the Extra Point

Post by waverider »

I saw when you tweeted this and all I could do was shake my head. Not surprised one bit.

Since we are talking the hullabaloo, can they turn the speed down to normal levels when doing it in the stadium? John Moschitta Jr Would have trouble keeping up.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Speaking of Hullabaloos... interesting observation from Cincinnati: Cincy spreads out the visiting team's tickets over 6 sections, stretching from the 10 to the 10 (yes, 80 yards of sideline). And the seats are generally in the first 5 rows of each section. Sounds crazy, right? But we realized:

1. Their seating flattens out in the bottom 20 rows or so (the seat risers are not steep). Their fans don't want to pay high dollars for 50-yard-line, 2nd- or 3rd-row seats and only get to see the back of the visiting team's helmets. So basically they're selling what "seems like" really good seats to the visitors, but sticking them with really bad sightlines.

2. They spread out our fans so there's no way to get any volume to our cheering. I think my section probably had 20 or so Wave fans in it. I had bought three together (me and two friends) and there were three Wave fans behind us and two to our left. After that, there were a couple more way down at the other end of the section, a few rows back. And we could spot random folks down the sidelines both directions. During the tailgate I heard various folks talking about where they were sitting (when they picked up their tickets at will call) and they were all over the place. So (bringing back why I put this here), there was no Hullabaloo after scores. Nobody was gonna do it basically alone.

It was an interesting thing for them to do - I have never been to any stadium or arena where the visitors were scattered rather than stuck in a single section together. But it certainly worked.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:Speaking of Hullabaloos... interesting observation from Cincinnati: Cincy spreads out the visiting team's tickets over 6 sections, stretching from the 10 to the 10 (yes, 80 yards of sideline). And the seats are generally in the first 5 rows of each section. Sounds crazy, right? But we realized:

1. Their seating flattens out in the bottom 20 rows or so (the seat risers are not steep). Their fans don't want to pay high dollars for 50-yard-line, 2nd- or 3rd-row seats and only get to see the back of the visiting team's helmets. So basically they're selling what "seems like" really good seats to the visitors, but sticking them with really bad sightlines.

2. They spread out our fans so there's no way to get any volume to our cheering. I think my section probably had 20 or so Wave fans in it. I had bought three together (me and two friends) and there were three Wave fans behind us and two to our left. After that, there were a couple more way down at the other end of the section, a few rows back. And we could spot random folks down the sidelines both directions. During the tailgate I heard various folks talking about where they were sitting (when they picked up their tickets at will call) and they were all over the place. So (bringing back why I put this here), there was no Hullabaloo after scores. Nobody was gonna do it basically alone.

It was an interesting thing for them to do - I have never been to any stadium or arena where the visitors were scattered rather than stuck in a single section together. But it certainly worked.
Smart
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

Pete - chicken! One must always do the Hullabaloo!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Pete - chicken! One must always do the Hullabaloo!
As I've said here before, and I'm not alone, I loathe the hullabaloo. It was not used during my time at Tulane (or if it was being used by old-timers at football games, they were all on the other side of the Dome and we couldn't hear them... And of course, scores were few and far-between in those days). It was not used at baseball until after I was gone. I remember seeing the lyrics written on a Tulane athletics poster early in my career and thinking they were stupid and dated, and was relieved that no one ever did it during my time there. I believe in previous discussions here about this, someone stated it died out in the mid- to late-80s and came back with baseball in the late 90s.

Just my opinion. That said, I've never begrudged others from doing it and certainly wouldn't ever try to stop anyone.