Basketball media day / 1st baseball scrimmage Wednesday

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Basketball media day / 1st baseball scrimmage Wednesday

Post by noladave »

This was very quietly announced today, via Tulane Athletics twitter - basketball media day (men and women) is Wednesday, 11:30 to 12:30. Didn’t get an email, so I was not able to make plans to attend.
I don’t know if they are even having media. It will be streamed on Facebook and Twitter.

https://bit.ly/2OefOkS

And, as long as the weather holds up, Wednesday will also be the 1st scrimmage of #FallBall.. Then fall break comes along, and the guys are off through the weekend.

And for those that complain about not enough scrimmages - the past couple of days, batters have gone up against “live” pitching. Each pitcher threw to a handful of batters. It will be nice to see some of the younger guys in the field - our infield is pretty much set, and if healthy, Owen will be in CF, so most of the position guys are settled, just a few to be decided.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Re: Basketball media day / 1st baseball scrimmage Wednesday

Post by Tulane49 »

noladave wrote:This was very quietly announced today, via Tulane Athletics twitter - basketball media day (men and women) is Wednesday, 11:30 to 12:30. Didn’t get an email, so I was not able to make plans to attend.
I don’t know if they are even having media. It will be streamed on Facebook and Twitter.

https://bit.ly/2OefOkS

And, as long as the weather holds up, Wednesday will also be the 1st scrimmage of #FallBall.. Then fall break comes along, and the guys are off through the weekend.

And for those that complain about not enough scrimmages - the past couple of days, batters have gone up against “live” pitching. Each pitcher threw to a handful of batters. It will be nice to see some of the younger guys in the field - our infield is pretty much set, and if healthy, Owen will be in CF, so most of the position guys are settled, just a few to be decided.
Looks like right field and DH are only positions open. I want to see the backups since we will have a big turnover after this season
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

You would hope to see changes at catcher and SS. Surprised to hear that's not the case.
We deserve so much better
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Story from the official site:
Dunleavy, Players Participate in Tulane Basketball Media Day
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1 ... a-day.aspx
The main thing. Our guys understand that because I tell them all the time, NBA-wise, that nobody's ever won a championship in the NBA in the last probably 20 plus years if they haven't been in the top 10 in defense in the league. So, all those years where you saw the Houston Rockets' or Denver Nuggets' scoring like a gazillion points a game, well if they weren't top 10 (defensively), they've got no chance. And last year, you saw the Houston Rockets were down, but they've got the top five in defense and they were knocking at the door. So again, for us, our point of emphasis all the time is the ability to defend. I feel like with our depth we could have more consistency at the defensive end of the floor. I think we'll be a better shot-blocking (and) a better rebounding team this year. I think our guys know we have third-year guys that understand what we're trying to do and how to do it and have been very good at trying to communicate those things to our younger players. That's the really big part of it, like how long does it take for guys that you think are going to be in your lineup. I think our three freshmen will be in our playing rotation. Our two guys from last year who were redshirts will be in our playing rotation. So how quickly can they get connected to everyone else and communicate what's trying to be done on the floor?"
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:You would hope to see changes at catcher and SS. Surprised to hear that's not the case.
You’re not excited about running it back with a lineup that won 25 games?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Guess we'll save some bandwidth by combining baseball & basketball ...
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:You would hope to see changes at catcher and SS. Surprised to hear that's not the case.
& so it begins...... :roll:
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote:
This morning I almost posted "how long until a thread which also covers basketball gets turned into nothing but a b**ch-fest about our baseball coach" but I thought I'd be nice and give y'all the benefit of the doubt that maybe football season has calmed you down.

Fail.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Story from the official site:
The main thing. Our guys understand that because I tell them all the time, NBA-wise, that nobody's ever won a championship in the NBA in the last probably 20 plus years if they haven't been in the top 10 in defense in the league. So, all those years where you saw the Houston Rockets' or Denver Nuggets' scoring like a gazillion points a game, well if they weren't top 10 (defensively), they've got no chance. And last year, you saw the Houston Rockets were down, but they've got the top five in defense and they were knocking at the door. So again, for us, our point of emphasis all the time is the ability to defend. I feel like with our depth we could have more consistency at the defensive end of the floor. I think we'll be a better shot-blocking (and) a better rebounding team this year. I think our guys know we have third-year guys that understand what we're trying to do and how to do it and have been very good at trying to communicate those things to our younger players. That's the really big part of it, like how long does it take for guys that you think are going to be in your lineup. I think our three freshmen will be in our playing rotation. Our two guys from last year who were redshirts will be in our playing rotation. So how quickly can they get connected to everyone else and communicate what's trying to be done on the floor?"
I read this and all I can think is, "if this is really our focus, where the hell has the defense been the past two years?"
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:Story from the official site:
I read this and all I can think is, "if this is really our focus, where the hell has the defense been the past two years?"
Our defense did show improvement over the course of the season went on last year. A lot of it was due to having Frazier, but as a team we looked less out of place.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
This morning I almost posted "how long until a thread which also covers basketball gets turned into nothing but a b**ch-fest about our baseball coach" but I thought I'd be nice and give y'all the benefit of the doubt that maybe football season has calmed you down.

Fail.
I know, surprisingly this great football season has not made me forget that the baseball team has been really bad for two years.

If 2 posts that spanned 3 sentences about the baseball team constitutes a “b**ch-fest” then there’s probably going to be a lot of those.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote:If 2 posts that spanned 3 sentences about the baseball team constitutes a “b**ch-fest” then there’s probably going to be a lot of those.
It only takes a tiny break in the levee to lead to a flood.

Personally, I'm not really high on the basketball program right now. I'm hoping to be proven very wrong, but I feel like we're going to be worse than last year by quite a bit and hear a lot of "our key guys are still young"... you know, the perpetual mantra of the Tulane fan in several sports.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:
visualmagic wrote:If 2 posts that spanned 3 sentences about the baseball team constitutes a “b**ch-fest” then there’s probably going to be a lot of those.

Personally, I'm not really high on the basketball program right now. I'm hoping to be proven very wrong, but I feel like we're going to be worse than last year by quite a bit and hear a lot of "our key guys are still young"... you know, the perpetual mantra of the Tulane fan in several sports.
We’re in agreement on the basketball program then. I just don’t see how we get better losing Reynolds and Frazier. They were far and away our 2 best players
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:

I hope you're wrong and think you may be. Last year when Melvin wasn't on the floor we played better team basketball because when he was on the floor it devolved to the Melvin show. Think Bulls pre Jordan buying in and post buying in.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I hope you're wrong and think you may be. Last year when Melvin wasn't on the floor we played better team basketball because when he was on the floor it devolved to the Melvin show. Think Bulls pre Jordan buying in and post buying in.
Is there any data that backs that up?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

That is my opinion based on an eye test.
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

It would take someone with a lot of stats and full game charts running the numbers, but I do recall that there were times when Frazier went out and our offense still was able to score just fine. What I don't know - and quantifying it would take a lot of work - is how our defense did when Frazier was out.

Offensively, I'm more concerned about losing Reynolds. He was the mandatory "guy you give the ball to when you need a bucket", which every team needs. He might not be the guy to single-handedly score 20 points in the last 10 minutes and carry us to a win when we were down, but when things got tight at the end of a game, Reynolds would calmly take his defender down to the block and drain an 8-foot fall-away dagger, or come off a screen on an inbounds play and drain a 23-foot three. As much talent as he had, Frazier was not that guy (we'd typically get a crazy, forced shot when we tried him). Without Reynolds, we lose a lot of those games where we held slim leads late. I don't know whether we have a guy like that (I doubt we do)... everyone is pinning hopes on Daniels but I envision he'll be more like Frazier than Reynolds in terms of his effect on a game.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

As a team, our overall Ortg (An estimate of points scored (for teams) or points produced (for players) per 100 possessions.) was 104.1
Drtg (Defensive Rating; an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions) was 105.4

Melvin Frazier’s Ortg was 114.2 (2nd on the team to Sehic) and his Drtg was 101.8 which was 1st on the team.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote:As a team, our overall Ortg (An estimate of points scored (for teams) or points produced (for players) per 100 possessions.) was 104.1
Drtg (Defensive Rating; an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions) was 105.4

Melvin Frazier’s Ortg was 114.2 (2nd on the team to Sehic) and his Drtg was 101.8 which was 1st on the team.
Now you're just talking gibberish. :lol:

I understand these are the metrics that modern sabermatricians use to quantify everything but there is an unknown, unmeasurable factor about how a team plays when a certain player is on the court (or not) which can't be measured. You can measure shots taken, even open looks taken or not, etc., but things like "did a player overlook a pass he could have made to the block which likely would have resulted in an easy bucket because the defender was overplaying and there was no backside help, and instead feel compelled to pass to the 'star' who was open at the three-point line and subsequently missed a three?" Basketball is such a fluid game in that way that there's a definite limit to what stats can show.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

As a new Tulane (but longtime college basketball) fan, I look at a 17-18 team that had two NBA-caliber players but struggled to a mediocre record in a good (but not great) conference, and my natural conclusions are that (a) the rest of the players performed below AAC average, (b) the coaching was poor, and/or (c) the star players were somehow a disruptive element (either on or off the court). Seems like (d), all of the above, might have been in play.

Here's to the 18-19 season and the growth of a young team with a lot of potential. :-D
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:As a team, our overall Ortg (An estimate of points scored (for teams) or points produced (for players) per 100 possessions.) was 104.1

a

So are you bolstering or rebutting my point?
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Angrywavedad, I've followed MBB at Tulane only slightly less than football. I also have had (and still have) season tickets and rarely miss a game. Last year was hard to figure, we never seemed to gel nd create any consistency for any length of time. Maybe that was the lack of a stronger PG, maybe it was the lack of strong inside game, maybe it was a Professional HC trying to understand a college game. I honestly don't know. I will tell you that Reynolds was the ultimate team player and that Frazier was scary good on Defense and played the entire game. I just don't see how we've replaced either and I'm not sold this Staff understands how different the college game is.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Yes. The Bulls were definitely better without Jordan.
We deserve so much better
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Yes. The Bulls were definitely better without Jordan.
And you show a lack of understanding of what I was talking about.
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Couple of quick points: in short overall to use the grade school term, Melvin last year was not a ball hog. He would often go minutes without even touching the ball much less taking a shot. The only exception perhaps was the UNC game where he clearly said, "We may be being blown out but I'm not being blown out."

I think Melvin's most underestimated aspect (to use Fritz speak) is that he played assignment basketball really well. He listened to the coach's and that's why his development exploded.

This year, I'm keeping a firm hand on my wallet and will not make any bets. There simply is too wide a range of potential unpredictable results.

However if there is to be a positive breakout season, I think/guess/hope/pray, it will literally center around Koka. Dunleavy is right. It's about the defense. We'll find out starting in about three weeks.