Hurricane stuff -

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Hurricane stuff -

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

gerryb323 wrote:Image
you in some sort of therapy class ?? :wink:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Thank goodness (?) we lost in the first round of the Metro tournament and skipped home on a three-legged flight from Louisville just ahead of that storm which shut down half the airports in the nation only hours after we got home... Hard to believe it was that big and New Orleans was spared, only suffering a dusting of snow on the northshore and some quickly-remedied power outages.

Now back to tropical talk and not blizzard talk....
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

sr wrote:
you in some sort of therapy class ?? :wink:
Makes me think of Kandinsky.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Florida Panhandle Greenies: Michael as Cat 4 with massive storm surge. Hope you read this well inland.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Pressures:
- Michael - 933 Cat 4 at 8AM CDT

- Katrina - 902 Cat 5

- Camille - 900 Cat 5

- Wilma - 882 Cat 5
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:Pressures:
- Michael - 933 Cat 4 at 8AM CDT

- Katrina - 902 Cat 5

- Camille - 900 Cat 5

- Wilma - 882 Cat 5
Thanks, I was wondering how Michael compared. The only saving grace is 1) Michael will make landfall before he has a lot more time to get worse and, 2) He’s a fast mover so it won’t be the days of battering and feet of rain. It will be interesting to see what the pressure is at the next update.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:Pressures:
- Michael - 933 Cat 4 at 8AM CDT >> 931 @ 9AM

- Katrina - 902 Cat 5

- Camille - 900 Cat 5

- Wilma - 882 Cat 5
Thanks, I was wondering how Michael compared. The only saving grace is 1) Michael will make landfall before he has a lot more time to get worse and, 2) He’s a fast mover so it won’t be the days of battering and feet of rain. It will be interesting to see what the pressure is at the next update.
Next update - 10 AM CDT
Last edited by sr on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:Just curious for those of you with more "experience" - is there a previous example of a hurricane that hit the gulf coast that just popped up out of nowhere in the Caribbean and headed straight into the US? Seems like those "Caribbean pop-ups" are few and far-between and when they do occur, they seem to just immediately run aground into Central America without getting very strong, and die out with minor damage.
Opal maybe. Drifted across the Yucatan before heading for Florida in 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Opal
Victory is never permanent
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Real Time -

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

This brings back some bad memories.

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

One of my favorite areas on the Florida Panhandle is the area around Hwy 30A (between Destin & Panama City) which is going to get hit hard. It will be a bit West of the eye, but with those winds - not good.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

For the record I'm not rooting for the hurricane
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Pressure - 919 @ 12:00 CDT
Winds - 150
Last edited by sr on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:For the record I'm not rooting for the hurricane
It's clearly a Russian hurricane which hates Midwestern linemen.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I interviewed Trey Parker and Matt Stone for "Team America: World Police" and in their press notes before the interview, I read that they were asked why they chose the subject matter for their puppet movie.. Trey said "well, we were going to do 'The Day After Tomorrow' with all puppets. But the original was so funny on its own, we couldn't possibly have made it any funnier."

I laugh hysterically whenever it's on.. the multiple tornado scene in LA is probably the worst of the joke of a career belonging to Roland Emmerich. I can't believe they are allowing him to do a remake of Midway... will probably involve aliens blowing up the Arizona with some sort of death ray.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:Sadly it's going to stay that way (or get worse) until one of their reporters is killed. That's pretty much the only way the stupidity will be reined in.
Video is circulating of Cantore nearly getting taken out by a 2x4 turned missile in Michael.
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Sadly it's going to stay that way (or get worse) until one of their reporters is killed. That's pretty much the only way the stupidity will be reined in.
Video is circulating of Cantore nearly getting taken out by a 2x4 turned missile in Michael.
And to him, anything short of being instantly killed is just TV gold and cements his legacy in his own mind.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Johnny Mac wrote:
I interviewed Trey Parker and Matt Stone for "Team America: World Police" and in their press notes before the interview, I read that they were asked why they chose the subject matter for their puppet movie.. Trey said "well, we were going to do 'The Day After Tomorrow' with all puppets. But the original was so funny on its own, we couldn't possibly have made it any funnier."

I laugh hysterically whenever it's on.. the multiple tornado scene in LA is probably the worst of the joke of a career belonging to Roland Emmerich. I can't believe they are allowing him to do a remake of Midway... will probably involve aliens blowing up the Arizona with some sort of death ray.
AMERICA......F Yeah!!!!!
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

BACONWAVE wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

AMERICA......F Yeah!!!!!
Speaking of Emmerich..... Independence Day 2 just finished playing on FX channel.....lololol
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:

Midway is going to star Woody Harrelson and MandyMoore.... that is all you need to know
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

sr wrote:One of my favorite areas on the Florida Panhandle is the area around Hwy 30A (between Destin & Panama City) which is going to get hit hard. It will be a bit West of the eye, but with those winds - not good.
Don't worry, SR, I live there and stayed here during the storm. Luckily for us, it went further east than they anticipated. All we got was a day of rain and winds that may have gusted to 50 mph. We didn't even lose our power. We were spared, but Panama City, Mexico Beach and Apalachicola got hammered. You are right, this is a beautiful place and we are lucky to live here.