Tulane men's hoops: Sehic, Cornish looking for improvement

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Tulane men's hoops: Sehic, Cornish looking for improvement

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 279d3.html

hoping we can create a MBB Topic free of the SOS re:baseball

Junior point guard Ray Ona Embo, who has not practiced this preseason due to patellar tendinitis, will miss up to two more weeks after having a platelet-rich-plasma (PRP) injection.

so who will be our starting PG if Embo is still lame?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane men's hoops: Sehic, Cornish looking for improveme

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Barrett?? I like Cornish but he had spurts last year where he was a turnover machine as backup PG. However if he has developed a consistent shot and overcome the streakiness, he could be play ok PG because he would post up the defender all night long.

I think Daniels has the basketball skills to do it efficiently but then you lose his ability to play spectacularly doing other things as a 2 where he can play above his pay grade and make his opponent look silly.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

so I'm guessing none of the new guys are capable of playing a competent PG?

what is it about Tulane? We can't recruit QB's and we can't recruit the QB in MBB, a PG?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

GB, Ouch but seemingly true. However I thought the transfer sitting out has reputation to be effective point guard?
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Another story:
Tulane's three-man weave comes with a twist: 'This is not punishment,' Mike Dunleavy says
https://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2 ... oning.html
Where Tulane (14-17 overall, 5-13 AAC in 2017-18) needs significant improvement is on defense; the team ranked 11th out of 12 AAC teams at 74.1 points allowed.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Are there any articles on the three freshmen and how they are progressing?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

The guys I really would like to hear updates about are Barrett and Crabtree.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

looked to me like Dunleavy LOVED Barrett. I never saw the magic and preferred Slater
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:looked to me like Dunleavy LOVED Barrett. I never saw the magic and preferred Slater
Did Barrett even play that much? I hardly remember him touching the floor because he was hurt most of the year.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Pete he did get hurt relatively early but he got put in by Dunleavy a good amount when healthy. He wasn't particularly quick, his ball handling skills were alright and he didn't seem to have much of a shot. He was tall and Dunleavy likes his Guards tall
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Barrett played 31 minutes over 7 games. 4.4 minutes per game in which he appeared.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:The guys I really would like to hear updates about are Barrett and Crabtree.
Crabtree?!?!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
semyhre12
Rookie

Unread post by semyhre12 »

PeteRasche wrote:The guys I really would like to hear updates about are Barrett and Crabtree.
I was at media days yesterday. The only thing Dunleavy mentioned about Barrett was that he felt like Shakwon was the most creative playmaker on the team and that he had the ability to create easy shots for other players on the team who couldn't create those shots. I asked him about Zhang and Walker as well, but not Crabtree or Wood. Dunleavy did mention that while in some of last year's games they only felt comfortable playing 7 guys, this season they should feel comfortable playing 10... There are currently 11 scholarship players who will be eligible to play this season so I'm wondering who the one he's not comfortable playing is or if he just made a mistake by saying 10 instead of 11.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

semyhre12 wrote:
I was at media days yesterday. The only thing Dunleavy mentioned about Barrett was that he felt like Shakwon was the most creative playmaker on the team and that he had the ability to create easy shots for other players on the team who couldn't create those shots. I asked him about Zhang and Walker as well, but not Crabtree or Wood. Dunleavy did mention that while in some of last year's games they only felt comfortable playing 7 guys, this season they should feel comfortable playing 10... There are currently 11 scholarship players who will be eligible to play this season so I'm wondering who the one he's not comfortable playing is or if he just made a mistake by saying 10 instead of 11.
Hate to say it but this is total coach speak. I think if we look through quotes from the same time last year we will see something similar. He recruited these guys (other than Blake Paul). Therefore, not feeling comfortable playing them would be admitting to poor recruiting and/or player development. Let’s hope he really means it and isn’t just providing lip service.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

semyhre12 wrote:
Aren’t you the media member that reported Zhang could be one and done. Did Dunleavy tell you that and is that the NBA or China? By the way, please come back and post. We appreciate any news you can report.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:
Crabtree?!?!
Am I missing a joke or are you missing that we have a freshman named Crabtree?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Crabtree?!?!
Said in Richard Sherman's yell?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Crabtree?!?!
Said in Richard Sherman's yell?
Yeah, that didn't get retained in my brain's pop culture catalog.
semyhre12
Rookie

Unread post by semyhre12 »

tjtlja wrote:
semyhre12 wrote:
Aren’t you the media member that reported Zhang could be one and done. Did Dunleavy tell you that and is that the NBA or China? By the way, please come back and post. We appreciate any news you can report.
Yea that's me. That opinion about Zhang was just from a friend of mine who is very close to the bball program and that was his assessment (that Zhang would be in the NBA next season) from watching the first couple weeks of practice. I would take it with a grain of salt and I don't expect Zhang to go one-and-done, but maybe he will at least have a good season and be a big contributor this year.

I asked Dunleavy about Zhang while at media days, but he didn't give any real insight into how much Zhang could contribute this year. His exact quote was "He's been terrific. The thing for freshman a lot of times that you have to deal with is just strength issues, body issues, maturity in those areas... Going from one level to the next, going from HS to college, going from college to the pros, that physicality is a strength component in there. Skill-wise he's everything we thought he was, how hard he plays, who he is as a person all that's terrific. Right now body weight and strength are areas he’ll have to deal with, but over time no question he’ll be the guy we think he is”
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

Doesn't sound like Zhang will be in the NBA next year.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

Doesn't sound like Zhang will be in the NBA next year.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Zhang practice once and said he's definitely going to the NBA next year.

I guess it's pretty serious.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Zhang practice once and said he's definitely going to the NBA next year.

I guess it's pretty serious.
HAH. I'm going to call this the Six degrees of Pete's separation.

Meanwhile I arbitrarily rank Zhang at this moment as perhaps the 5000th best basketball player eligible to play in the NBA. However I also arbitrarily rank him as the 200th best Chinese national today able to meet the "native eligibility" test for the Chinese pro league. Next year I could even see him get an NBA contract/tryout and then be "lent out" to a foreign league like China to develop like top grade European soccer teams farm out end of bench talent to lesser teams so they get playing experience. (Alternatively if NBA does not allow international player "loans," I can see him just signing directly with a Chinese/Asian team.)

This has certainly made for an unexpected preseason topic. I hope Zhang explodes and stays. However I have a gnawing suspicion this is a redux of "Elton Veals for Heisman" hype.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

1. Bay, I hope you know I was quoting a movie.

2. Despite your legit points about overseas being a potential option, this isn't that. The poster has stated it was about the NBA. This is literally a case of "a guy tweeted something that another guy told him". Neither of whom has indicated to have any "advanced" knowledge. Perhaps the person who saw Zhang does have cred, but we don't know. But I can't tell you how many people I ran across in college who told me a teammate of mine was gonna make the NBA based on how good they looked when playing against a bunch of Tulane students in Reily center. And they weren't talking about Reed or Honeycutt either.

Remember we live in an era where anyone can tweet anything and be "heard".
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Pete, OK. I'll give the screenwriter credit since you don't plagiarize. We're on same street here as I did rank Zhang a solid 5000 today on NBA draft chart. I will be ecstatic if he is 500 by year end. He does have a lot of ability but tell from MD in his media day interview was that Zhang does not currently have an NBA physique. (He doesn't currently have an AAC physique either.)

He made the NIKE showcase game for a reason and I have direct reports that he is practicing very well at Tulane. (But then so did Cornish during his sit-out transfer year.) However that doesn't even mean he makes AAC All Newcomer team much less anything more. I'll simply be happy if he contributes, constantly improves and stays at Tulane for three years or so.

In short he projects well for 2021 NBA draft. (I hope.)

I know it was a decade before your time but "Elton Veals for Heisman" summarizes it best. Optimism is always eternal if you're a Greenie.