The old Rat --

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
sr
Regent's Circle

The old Rat --

Post by sr »

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: The old Rat --

Post by TUPF »

Ah, memories...a plastic tray filled with Thursday night 10-cent beers, the “do you want that DRESSED?” muffuletta ladies, writing a check for $1.50 for a burger, The Meters playing in the corner, the stench of a thousand beers spilled on the concrete floor...
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

One of my most disappointing returns to campus was after they "renovated" it.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GretnaGrn wrote:One of my most disappointing returns to campus was after they "renovated" it.
The first time or the second?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote:One of my most disappointing returns to campus was after they "renovated" it.
Agree. I ate there alone in December while upstairs the food court was full. Looks nothing like it did.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

the Rat was such a big part of our college life strange to see its gone. Tastes change I guess.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GreenieBacker wrote:the Rat was such a big part of our college life strange to see its gone. Tastes change I guess.

More like rules about drinking
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:the Rat was such a big part of our college life strange to see its gone. Tastes change I guess.
This.

And it wasn't exactly the type of atmosphere where Gen Zs (or whatever we're calling them) are gonna hang out and update their social media. All we hear in the construction biz is how they need daylight, daylight, daylight... hence the full upstairs cafeteria area...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
This.

And it wasn't exactly the type of atmosphere where Gen Zs (or whatever we're calling them) are gonna hang out and update their social media. All we hear in the construction biz is how they need daylight, daylight, daylight... hence the full upstairs cafeteria area...
Yup. The new Rat is weird. It’s bigger than I remember and deep too, if that makes any sense. Lots of wasted space. The food I had was decent but yeah, having no beer changes the whole nature of the place. It’s not the bright, Gen XYZ tofu/açaí make your own salad place, so I don’t know what it is. Like our football offense, it needs an identity. :wink:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
This.

Yup. The new Rat is weird. It’s bigger than I remember and deep too, if that makes any sense. Lots of wasted space. The food I had was decent but yeah, having no beer changes the whole nature of the place. It’s not the bright, Gen XYZ tofu/açaí make your own salad place, so I don’t know what it is. Like our football offense, it needs an identity. :wink:
It struck me more as a chain wing joint/sports bar. And I agree, it's way taller than anyone would remember, but looking at the pic in the OP, the old place had massively deep beams which made it feel shorter (or, rather, they were hiding/wasting plenty of height).
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
This.

It struck me more as a chain wing joint/sports bar. And I agree, it's way taller than anyone would remember, but looking at the pic in the OP, the old place had massively deep beams which made it feel shorter (or, rather, they were hiding/wasting plenty of height).
I wouldn't say wasting the height; the old Rat had a very distinctive and intentional look. I agree that these kids today (shakes walker) probably would not want to be in a dark, dank dive--even one with Golden Axe. I also agree that it would be pointless without beer. It's an on-campus facility and should certainly serve those who live there, but I personally was very sad to see the dark old dump go.

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
This.

Costco abandoned chocolate frozen yogurt for available
:xmad:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Wait it doesn't even serve beer anymore? Why even bother having it
#cousins don't count
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

windywave wrote:Wait it doesn't even serve beer anymore? Why even bother having it
That was the best part...using green bucks to buy beer after spending all your cash at the boot. It definitely wasn't the waiting 45 minutes for mozzarella sticks half of which were undercooked and the other half missing cheese
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
windywave wrote:Wait it doesn't even serve beer anymore? Why even bother having it
That was the best part...using green bucks to buy beer after spending all your cash at the boot. It definitely wasn't the waiting 45 minutes for mozzarella sticks half of which were undercooked and the other half missing cheese
I had some pretty good muffulettas at the Rat. And I never tired of hearing the Rat ladies yell...”you want that DRESSED?”
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

One thing is certain, even for those who all remember it as the dank cellar it was, the service and the experience varied greatly over the decades. I have none of the remembrances of TUPF (decade before me), nor of Windy or krewe (decade after me). Gretna and I were peers and had the same experience there.

But regardless, we all miss the dank!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:One thing is certain, even for those who all remember it as the dank cellar it was, the service and the experience varied greatly over the decades. I have none of the remembrances of TUPF (decade before me), nor of Windy or krewe (decade after me). Gretna and I were peers and had the same experience there.

Dude I am maybe 5 years younger than you
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:One thing is certain, even for those who all remember it as the dank cellar it was, the service and the experience varied greatly over the decades. I have none of the remembrances of TUPF (decade before me), nor of Windy or krewe (decade after me). Gretna and I were peers and had the same experience there.

I was high school class of 89. You?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:

I was high school class of 89. You?
Fine eight years you don't seem like a codger

The spread from you left and I arrived is what 3 years?
#cousins don't count
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I watched CBS news on the TV's there on the evening when the lead story was Tulane dropping basketball. I was sharing a pitcher with the UC director, and possibly Dean of Students. Seemed the right place to be hearing this information being spread throughout the U.S.

I, too, remember a St. Patrick's day event there; Buzz Podewell's music group was providing the entertainment, pitchers of green beer, showing some out of town co-eds from Memphis State that we met in the bar at Pat O's before bringing them uptown to our party. I could not believe when they actually said yes to us heading uptown!

The Rat was a special place, memory-wise
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

AO Sig wrote:I, too, remember a St. Patrick's day event there; Buzz Podewell's music group was providing the entertainment, pitchers of green beer, showing some out of town co-eds from Memphis State that we met in the bar at Pat O's before bringing them uptown to our party. I could not believe when they actually said yes to us heading uptown!

The Rat was a special place, memory-wise
Well done, AO Sig. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :wink:
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

their chicken fingers.

the new rat is hideous