Gratuitous uniform thread 2018...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Gratuitous uniform thread 2018...

Post by sr »

Coming in at #10 …

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:Coming in at #10 …

So are we in the top 10 at least twice? Because our Memphis uniforms win.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:So are we in the top 10 at least twice? Because our Memphis uniforms win.
Not sure exactly what you mean but this is a week to week poll, not a running poll. Last week the Memphis uniforms were #1 for the week.

I have no idea whether they'll do a cumulative season-long poll at the end of the year.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:So are we in the top 10 at least twice? Because our Memphis uniforms win.
Not sure exactly what you mean but this is a week to week poll, not a running poll. Last week the Memphis uniforms were #1 for the week.

I have no idea whether they'll do a cumulative season-long poll at the end of the year.
Ah, that's what I get for not reading it
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Ah, that's what I get for not reading it
They will do an overall in which we can be in the top 10 twice.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

SMU unis have been revealed. The helmets and pants from Memphis game but with green shirts.
Tulane Greenbackers

BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

waverider wrote:SMU unis have been revealed. The helmets and pants from Memphis game but with green shirts.
Wumbo's are back baby!!!
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Don't know if anybody has posted the origin of the term "wumbo" or why it's being used for these helmets, but thought I'd give a quick explanation and reveal my age (roughly) in the process.

It's actually a reference to an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants. The episode in question involves the main character and his friend, Patrick Star, playing around with a super-powered belt worn by Mermaidman, an elderly Aquaman-like character who appears in several episodes. The belt features a giant M on the front which allows the user to shrink objects (M for mini). Unfortunately because SpongeBob and Patrick are morons they cause chaos with the belt around their town. In an attempt to reverse the chaos Patrick flips the belt buckle over so that the M becomes a W. He goes on to explain how Wumbo is the opposite of Mini and should fix the issue. Long story short, it doesn't.

The below clip is now famous among millennials and is probably why they keep referring to these awesome helmets as "wumbo". It's a way to connect with younger fans.

I'm sad that I know so much about this topic. May you all have mercy on me for exposing you to this mindless drivel.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Outlaw, the day before those helmets were fully revealed, Tulane equipment tweeted that SpongeBob clip as a hint. They then referred to them multiple times as Wumbo after revealing them.

I showed the helmets to my 27 and 24 year old coworkers and they ABSOLUTELY knew the term and the reference and thought Tulane calling the helmets "Wumbo" was both pop-culturally awesome and looks-wise appropriate.

I thought I posted a link to the wiki page about the term here (didn't go back to look). I fully admit I had never heard the term before the helmet thing, but I'm not of the SpongeBob generation.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Spongebob reruns appear on Nick at Nite. Nothing young about that!
Tulane Greenbackers

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote:Spongebob reruns appear on Nick at Nite. Nothing young about that!
If you have Nick at nite you still have cable and are, thus, old.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote:Outlaw, the day before those helmets were fully revealed, Tulane equipment tweeted that SpongeBob clip as a hint. They then referred to them multiple times as Wumbo after revealing them.

I showed the helmets to my 27 and 24 year old coworkers and they ABSOLUTELY knew the term and the reference and thought Tulane calling the helmets "Wumbo" was both pop-culturally awesome and looks-wise appropriate.

I thought I posted a link to the wiki page about the term here (didn't go back to look). I fully admit I had never heard the term before the helmet thing, but I'm not of the SpongeBob generation.
I knew they'd been calling them Wumbo since the reveal but I missed them posting the clip. I figured there still might be some who were confused. I'd fit right in with your coworkers generationally as I too appreciate the reference even if I hate to admit I probably watched the episode when it premiered.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Outlaw, the day before those helmets were fully revealed, Tulane equipment tweeted that SpongeBob clip as a hint. They then referred to them multiple times as Wumbo after revealing them.

I knew they'd been calling them Wumbo since the reveal but I missed them posting the clip. I figured there still might be some who were confused. I'd fit right in with your coworkers generationally as I too appreciate the reference even if I hate to admit I probably watched the episode when it premiered.
I missed SpongeBob by a couple years and steadfastly refused to watch it since that's what my younger brother watched. So thanks for the background. Yes, I ignored the link Pete posted earlier!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

My 6 yo’s Favorite show is Spongebob I asked him what that term meant And he couldn’t tell me. Maybe he just hasn’t seen that episode, or he didn’t understand it because he only sees the show in Spanish and maybe they changed/translated it in Spanish. Fwiw, its interesting how popularity ranges not just based on generation, but also by region. Spongebob is still top 2 with kids in Spain (along with Paw Patrol). It is on tv like three hours a day, I see tons of backpacks at my son's school, popular balloon option on Sunday afternoons, etc. In New Orleans, I think it's only on adult cartoon tv, I never see backpacks anywhere, nor other merch. I think its the reason that its the only show he still thinks is only in spanish, because he's never even run across it in New Orleans. And this all seems regional within the united states as well. When my wife referenced the show to her Tulane students (20ish year olds) all of the new england kids were on it like flies on rice. The southern and midwestern kids were like "what?"
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Since I've opened this can of worms, I'll throw one more tidbit out there. In a previous job, my company did a lot of work for Nickelodeon. One of the things we learned about (and I think it's public knowledge anyway) is that Spongebob was never intended to be a long running, super well known property at the network. There was a delay in releasing a more expensive show in the late 90s and they needed a filler show, so they threw a season of SpongeBob out there just to fill the gap.

Needless to say, executives were floored when it became as popular as it did. They essentially stumbled onto what has easily turned into their most profitable IP, far surpassing Rugrats, Doug, Blue's Clues, Fairly Oddparents, or anything else they've put out. With the slow decline of cable, SpongeBob may ultimately be the legacy Nickelodeon leaves behind.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

waverider wrote:SMU unis have been revealed. The helmets and pants from Memphis game but with green shirts.
https://twitter.com/CoachMutz/status/10 ... 18017?s=20
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Not really a fan of dark green shirts with black pants, but, hey, whatever. At least the helmets are back.
gerryb323 wrote:If you have Nick at nite you still have cable and are, thus, old.
I cut the cord before most people even started using the term "millennial". What does that mean?
(I'd like to say it means I'm very tech-forward and "ahead of the trends" but frankly it means I'm quasi-tech-savvy while yet a product of a penny-pinching family)
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:Not really a fan of dark green shirts with black pants, but, hey, whatever. At least the helmets are back.
gerryb323 wrote:If you have Nick at nite you still have cable and are, thus, old.
I cut the cord before most people even started using the term "millennial". What does that mean?
(I'd like to say it means I'm very tech-forward and "ahead of the trends" but frankly it means I'm quasi-tech-savvy while yet a product of a penny-pinching family)
Young at heart, Pete. Or....
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Talk nerdy to me.....

The black has got to go.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Young at heart, Pete. Or....
If saving about 12 to 15 thousand dollars in the last decade over all of you who still pay for cable makes me a nerd, then send me a pocket protector.

The irony is that I probably have the fanciest TV setup of anyone here in terms of streaming, having all my personal stuff available on my TV within my home or on remote devices, etc.... and we now basically never watch TV.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I hope they use true retro olive (all drab no gloss) for the pants. I've always wondered if we would ever have a throwback home game where we would use that color for the jerseys. Regardless should look good with all white otherwise.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Baywave1 wrote:I hope they use true retro olive (all drab no gloss) for the pants. I've always wondered if we would ever have a throwback home game where we would use that color for the jerseys. Regardless should look good with all white otherwise.
The "olive" pants are our normal foresty green pants.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

https://twitter.com/OhioStateFB/status/ ... 63398?s=20

Ohio State even does the black and they have one of the classic uniforms
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »