All or Nothing, 2018 Edition

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

All or Nothing, 2018 Edition

Post by WaveProf »

Undefeated Teams
Alabama (L to Clemson in NCG 1/8)
Ohio State (L to Purdue 10/20)
Clemson
Notre Dame (L to Clemson in Peach Bowl 12/30)
UCF (L to LSU in Fiesta Bowl 1/1)
USF (L to Houston 10/27)
Cincinnati (L to Temple 10/20)
NC State (L to Clemson 10/20)

Winless Teams
Nebraska (W vs Minnesota 10/20)
UTEP (W vs Rice 11/3)
San Jose State (W vs UNLV 10/27)

Winless against FBS competition
UConn (W against FCS Rhode Island)
Tulsa (W against FCS Central Arkansas) (Beat UConn 11/3)
Rice (W against FCS Prairie View A&M) (Beat ODU 11/24)
Bowling Green (W against FCS Eastern Kentucky) (Beat Central Michigan 11/10)
Kent State (W against FCS Howard) (Beat Bowling Green 11/3)
Central Michigan (W against FCS Maine)
Oregon State (W against FCS Southern Utah) (Beat Colorado in OT on 10/27)
Arkansas (W against FCS Eastern Illinois) (Beat Tulsa on 10/27)
Texas State (W against FCS Texas Southern) (Beat New Mexico State on 10/27)
Last edited by WaveProf on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:37 am, edited 8 times in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: All of Nothing, 2018 Edition

Post by WaveProf »

9 undefeated teams
3 winless teams (12 including winless against FBS)

For contrast,
in 2015 there were 10 undefeated teams and 4 winless (2 straight up and 2 more including winless against FBS)
in 2016 there were 5 undefeated teams and 5 winless (0 straight up and 5 including winless against FBS)
in 2017 I apparently didn't run a thread on this

Of all the years I've done this, its the only time Kansas hasn't begun midseason on this list
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Down to 4 undefeated and 1 winless (7 counting winless against FBS)
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

UTEP plays Rice and UCONN plays Tulsa this week.
Victory is never permanent
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

BTW, if UTEP doesn’t win it will be head coach Dana Dimel’s 2nd winless season. He went 0-11 at Houston in 2001.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

OGSB wrote:BTW, if UTEP doesn’t win it will be head coach Dana Dimel’s 2nd winless season. He went 0-11 at Houston in 2001.
But just remember Boudreaux Teevens threw up one winners both here and Stanford. He was just setting a bar for Dana to slide under.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Baywave1 wrote:
OGSB wrote:BTW, if UTEP doesn’t win it will be head coach Dana Dimel’s 2nd winless season. He went 0-11 at Houston in 2001.
But just remember Boudreaux Teevens threw up one winners both here and Stanford. He was just setting a bar for Dana to slide under.
If I remember right the thinking was that he assembled the team that Bowden won with and after a stint as Spurrier's assistant offensive coordinator at Florida he deserved a second chance, but he didn't turn in a 1 win season there. 2, 4, and 4. He won almost as many in 3 seasons there as he did in 5 here (10 vs 11).
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

UTEP up 20-0 at Rice.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

OGSB wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
If I remember right the thinking was that he assembled the team that Bowden won with and after a stint as Spurrier's assistant offensive coordinator at Florida he deserved a second chance, but he didn't turn in a 1 win season there. 2, 4, and 4. He won almost as many in 3 seasons there as he did in 5 here (10 vs 11).
Thanks for catching my error. It was Walt Harris who threw up the one-fer at Stanford not Buddy. Teevens did recruit above his weight at Tulane and lost an incredible number of competitive games. He just was not successful at half time adjustments while at Tulane. Bowden and RR did win with basically the same players.

Other than Fritz I did think he is the nicest coach at Tulane I've ever met. He is well set at Dartmouth but lost a very close game to Princeton today for Ivy League lead.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Baywave1 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Thanks for catching my error. It was Walt Harris who threw up the one-fer at Stanford not Buddy. Teevens did recruit above his weight at Tulane and lost an incredible number of competitive games. He just was not successful at half time adjustments while at Tulane. Bowden and RR did win with basically the same players.

Other than Fritz I did think he is the nicest coach at Tulane I've ever met. He is well set at Dartmouth but lost a very close game to Princeton today for Ivy League lead.
I had to look it up, I thought Harris went 0-11 but it was 1-11.

UTEP cruising though. 34-10.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

OGSB wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

I had to look it up, I thought Harris went 0-11 but it was 1-11.

UTEP cruising though. 34-10.
Or are they? 34-26, mid 4th quarter
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

UTEP wins, they’re 1-8. Rice is 1-9 with no wins against FBS teams.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

UConn @ Tulsa is underway, 10-0 Huskies after 1.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Most importantly, Alabama is staying undefeated. Thus far, emphatically.

Post-game edit: Alabama 29, LSU 0.

Wish folks were still having general college football discussion threads each week like we used to...
LondonWave
Coach Level

Post by LondonWave »

PeteRasche wrote:Most importantly, Alabama is staying undefeated. Thus far, emphatically.

Wish folks were still having general college football discussion threads each week like we used to...
Ouch. Even USL put up 14 points against Alabama.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

LondonWave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Most importantly, Alabama is staying undefeated. Thus far, emphatically.

Ouch. Even USL put up 14 points against Alabama.
I posted on Facebook, that even if you add up the scores of the two Alabama QBs today (actual, and USF transfer) and two LSU QBs (actual and McMillan), Alabama still beat LSU. :lol:
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

For obvious reasons, this place had been dead, dead, dead the last several weeks. I'm starting to wonder of the health of some of the regulars.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

OGSB wrote:

For obvious reasons, this place had been dead, dead, dead the last several weeks. I'm starting to wonder of the health of some of the regulars.
Yeah - guess long green is on an extended LOA...
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

LG is healthy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Three teams came off the winless list, but all three did so by beating other teams on the list :oops:

4 undefeated teams standing, 4 winless (against FBS) teams standing
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Another team (Bowling Green) comes off the list by beating a fellow member of the list
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Rice beat ODU to finish 2-11.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

UConn finishes with no FBS wins. Remember when that was a Tulaney thing to do?

(yes, I know, we never actually did that, but it felt like we were that low)
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:UConn finishes with no FBS wins. Remember when that was a Tulaney thing to do?

(yes, I know, we never actually did that, but it felt like we were that low)
How did they ever beat Rhode Island?

And yes they are worse than we ever were by far. This may be one of the worst football teams in the last several decades nationwide
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

In the end, 1 undefeated, 0 winless, 2 winless against FBS