What will Fritz do?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: What will Fritz do?

Unread post by Roller »

Johnny Mac wrote:... the article is weapons grade horse shiat and therefore any kind of "speculation" here is harmless...
Basically, I agree, just so long as the "speculation" doesn't turn into a "let's make it happen" mob.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Roller wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:... the article is weapons grade horse shiat and therefore any kind of "speculation" here is harmless...
Basically, I agree, just so long as the "speculation" doesn't turn into a "let's make it happen" mob.
we're on a two game win streak and have a realistic shot at the conference title game.. I think the mob is fat and happy right now
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
So what you're saying is if Ruse's name was being bandied around for a job we could talk about his replacement?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Alright I don't want to open a can of worms here (even though I may already have), but if WF should leave for greener pastures*, I hope we are paying attention to what's going on in Buffalo. I really like Leipold's background and what he's done for a program that generally struggles.

*I've been up and down on WF and company this season, but right now all our goals are still attainable so I'm most definitely not calling for his departure. I'm still very much in the camp that hopes WF will stay 15 more years and lead us to bunches of success so we can put up a statue of him outside Yulman some day.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Look up Turner Gill and what he did after succeeding at Buffalo. Gives me pause. Kind of like Beckman at Toledo before going to Illinois. Eek.
Plan your work, work your plan.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Rotorooter wrote:Look up Turner Gill and what he did after succeeding at Buffalo. Gives me pause. Kind of like Beckman at Toledo before going to Illinois. Eek.
I'm familiar with both. Coincidentally Gill went to Kansas. I'd counter with Dino Babers (Bowling Green to Syracuse) who was my top choice before we hired Fritz, Dave Doeren (NIU to NC St.) or even Jerry Kill (NIU to Minnesota before he had to retire due to seizures. Your examples are well taken; there's risk with any candidate. I'm not saying that's the only place we should look in this scenario, just that I hope we give it a look.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

That Mack Brown fella had a killer winning percentage when UNC hired him from Tulane
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Since people want to get way ahead of themselves on this ("What will Fritz do" as if the offer is in hand), I would offer that the main relevance to Tulane is whether Fritz can coax Tony Hull onto the Tulane staff.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I would love to see Hull on this Staff. A dynamic recruiter with solid local connections. He could help kick up our recruiting a notch or two.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

This media report says it's Miles so back to normal

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... spartanntp
Victory is never permanent
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

OGSB wrote:This media report says it's Miles so back to normal

How the mighty have fallen. If he takes that job he's there 3 years tops
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Les Miles has emerged as a front-runner for Kansas HC job, per @BruceFeldmanCFB
(link: http://bit.ly/2JJZL8Q) bit.ly/2JJZL8Q
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:This media report says it's Miles

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

GSx wrote:Since people want to get way ahead of themselves on this ("What will Fritz do" as if the offer is in hand), I would offer that the main relevance to Tulane is whether Fritz can coax Tony Hull onto the Tulane staff.
What has Hull really done there? The team is still terrible and while he got some high profile kids to commit early he lost almost all of them.
We deserve so much better
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

If Fritz wants to go to Kansas for a job interview, I’ll happily pay for his plane ticket to get there.
SirLurxalot
Trainer

Unread post by SirLurxalot »

wavedom wrote: What has Hull really done there? The team is still terrible and while he got some high profile kids to commit early he lost almost all of them.
Hull got Pooka Williams and he's the real deal. Zero chance Hull would come here as an assistant.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

SirLurxalot wrote:
wavedom wrote: What has Hull really done there? The team is still terrible and while he got some high profile kids to commit early he lost almost all of them.
Hull got Pooka Williams and he's the real deal. Zero chance Hull would come here as an assistant.
Wow. So for all his time there he got one. Let's be honest Pooka has many issues which is why he ended up there. The further Hull's been away form coaching HS here the less connections he has.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

windywave wrote:
RI WAVE wrote:Idiot / delusional? Love the banter behind the screen. A lot of brave souls. Wonder why very few post here! I did not write the article. Just asked the question. We are in a better place than when Fritz started.c
Well NOW I'll call you an idiot for not having reading comprehension whereas before I was clearly calling the author an idiot for his absurd list of candidates.

Have a bloody and wait for the election returns
Guess the thread expanded some due to a difference of opinion, which is healthy.
Next time I am at a TU game, I’ll look up Windy and Buy you that Bloody!

Les had a good run at Okla. State, not sure he has the will to work that hard, next time around. Kansas will require a grinder like Fritz, someone who has a connection to the state. It will not be a quick fix. Very similar to TU. I will be happy if Fritz stays a few more years to continue the grind and the climb.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:

How the mighty have fallen. If he takes that job he's there 3 years tops
3 years would be what, 12-15MM? We should all fall so far.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote:
GSx wrote:Since people want to get way ahead of themselves on this ("What will Fritz do" as if the offer is in hand), I would offer that the main relevance to Tulane is whether Fritz can coax Tony Hull onto the Tulane staff.
What has Hull really done there? The team is still terrible and while he got some high profile kids to commit early he lost almost all of them.
Guessing it will be easier for him to recruit local kids to Tulane than Kansas. Not to mention his old school has a QB I'd think we'd be pretty interested in.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Guessing it will be easier for him to recruit local kids to Tulane than Kansas. Not to mention his old school has a QB I'd think we'd be pretty interested in.
Because we've done so well getting quality local kids when he was here. As to that QB Tulane is on him. He has good offers. That's what will likely have him going elsewhere.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

According to Baton Rouge radio the thing with Les is highly likely and may be announced in the next week. We'll see if that is true or delusion.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Taking implications from wavedom's quote up the thread a bit, honest question (because I don't know): are the kids that Hull recruited out of NOLA to Kansas kids who could have actually gotten into Tulane and stayed eligible and/or out of trouble? I honestly don't know anything about who he recruited, I'm just inferring from wavedom's comments above.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

WaveProf wrote:According to Baton Rouge radio the thing with Les is highly likely and may be announced in the next week. We'll see if that is true or delusion.
Someone on a Kansas forum said a press conference has been called for Thursday.

Curiously, despite LSU being the center of the universe no one on that board knew a whole lot about Miles.
Victory is never permanent
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote:
ml wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Because we've done so well getting quality local kids when he was here. As to that QB Tulane is on him. He has good offers. That's what will likely have him going elsewhere.
When who was here? Hull never worked at Tulane. Most kids are likely to go elsewhere, that's the nature of recruiting. Doesn't mean you don't throw everything at them, especially given our needs at his position. I don't know the kid at all, but there have been countless examples of kids following HS coaches regardless of good offers.