Sadness in Chicago

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Sadness in Chicago

Post by Johnny Mac »

Spending Thanksgiving in Chicago and I see that the bar I met windy and his brother for drinks a few years ago (McFaddens) is closed. Looks like the building owner is looking to cash in.

Only saving grace is that I've had malnati's deep dish.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Sadness in Chicago

Post by windywave »

Dude it wasn't like it was an institution, it was your run of the mill faux Irish themed bar. Being in a high rent district with nothing distinctive and no identity meant success was low.
Timothy O'Tooles is someplace similar a little further south if tou need a family break
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Windy,

SHAMELESS!,

;-)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

BC Wave wrote:Windy,

SHAMELESS!,

;-)
?
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:Dude it wasn't like it was an institution, it was your run of the mill faux Irish themed bar. Being in a high rent district with nothing distinctive and no identity meant success was low.
Timothy O'Tooles is someplace similar a little further south if tou need a family break
All the other dives around the corner aren't going anywhere and mcfaddens apparently became a frat boy hang out... Their closing down was landlord related since every other business on that property is shuttered, including a bank.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:Dude it wasn't like it was an institution, it was your run of the mill faux Irish themed bar. Being in a high rent district with nothing distinctive and no identity meant success was low.
All the other dives around the corner aren't going anywhere and mcfaddens apparently became a frat boy hang out... Their closing down was landlord related since every other business on that property is shuttered, including a bank.
Did they start serving kegs & eggs?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Condos here we come.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
They had an awesome breakfast quiche
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
They had an awesome breakfast quiche
I heard normal people call it breakfast casserole
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Condos here we come.
Exactly... Diagonally across state st they shoehorned in a 20 story condo... Dude cleaned up.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

You want a dive bar? Try rossi’s. Only bar in downtown chicago that could be a nola dive bar
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Johnny Mac wrote:Spending Thanksgiving in Chicago and I see that the bar I met windy and his brother for drinks a few years ago (McFaddens) is closed. Looks like the building owner is looking to cash in.

I ate at Pequod's with my sister when up there last month; really good, had a caramelized crust along the edges, very rich sauce. My business partner came along, had eaten with her husband at another place, told me that Pequod's was better. Give it a try when you are up there next time. Not far from Wrigley area.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

AO Sig wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:Spending Thanksgiving in Chicago and I see that the bar I met windy and his brother for drinks a few years ago (McFaddens) is closed. Looks like the building owner is looking to cash in.

I ate at Pequod's with my sister when up there last month; really good, had a caramelized crust along the edges, very rich sauce. My business partner came along, had eaten with her husband at another place, told me that Pequod's was better. Give it a try when you are up there next time. Not far from Wrigley area.
Noted... but it's hard to beat malnati's when its 2 blocks away
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

AO Sig wrote:

"Caramelized" crust is code for burned. If that's your thing and your traveling to Pequods travel a little further to Burt's.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Noted... but it's hard to beat malnati's when its 2 blocks away
Next time try Aurelios for thin crust. Get a Fiesta size
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

On the plus side it's over freezing for this blizzard warning, on the downside it's in the thirties pouring rain with stupid high winds.
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:On the plus side it's over freezing for this blizzard warning, on the downside it's in the thirties pouring rain with stupid high winds.
we got out just in time... it appears they canceled a lot of flights out of ORD today
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:On the plus side it's over freezing for this blizzard warning, on the downside it's in the thirties pouring rain with stupid high winds.
we got out just in time... it appears they canceled a lot of flights out of ORD today
Probably because the entire Northeast quandrant of the state is a color between green and purple :wink:
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Probably because the entire Northeast quandrant of the state is a color between green and purple :wink:
we got a travel waiver alert on Friday despite our flight being on Saturday before the weather was supposed to hit... my guess is American wanted to roll up any passengers they could to Friday to open up spots on Saturday to move people from Sunday.. our flight to CLT was packed, despite not being full when we checked in on Friday.