Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 am 
President's Circle

GSx wrote:
K State Is a bottom level big 12 program in the middle of nowhere. We need to fend players off from them. If we don’t we don’t it’s not the end of the world - you can lose a player to anybody.
For the same reason I wasn’t terribly impressed with the a 1/2 schedulimg arrangement with Kansas State

They'll probably buy out the last game after we beat them in the first two

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 am 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
He knows exactly how he fits in at Tulane and he knows everyone there. For that reason I think it very possible that KSU pushed him to hold off and wait. Switching now would be very unsound and I’d say that if a longtime KSU commit were being wooed very late by Alabama.

Sorry I don't understand the last sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 am 
Regent's Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
GSx wrote:
K State Is a bottom level big 12 program in the middle of nowhere. We need to fend players off from them. If we don’t we don’t it’s not the end of the world - you can lose a player to anybody.
For the same reason I wasn’t terribly impressed with the a 1/2 schedulimg arrangement with Kansas State

They'll probably buy out the last game after we beat them in the first two

I'd like that problem but might be pretty expensive for KSU. Me suspects it is a money game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:43 am 
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:
long green wrote:
He knows exactly how he fits in at Tulane and he knows everyone there. For that reason I think it very possible that KSU pushed him to hold off and wait. Switching now would be very unsound and I’d say that if a longtime KSU commit were being wooed very late by Alabama.

Sorry I don't understand the last sentence.

Switching schools now would be very unsound.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:47 am 
Regent's Circle

LG, Agree. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 am 
President's Circle

For Spears to bite off on K-State without ever visiting the school would be a huge red flag for me on his maturity and decision making. Kansas State is an awful academic school in the middle of nowhere. All they have going for them is the Big 12. He should take a look to see how things have worked out for the other kids who chased conference affiliation over fit. It doesn't usually work out for them. If he doesn't sign with Tulane in December in order to flirt with K-State, I think I'd probably move on if I were Fritz. I LOVE Spears' versatility but there are plenty of other backs who can do similar things. We've held his spot for a long time in this class. He either wants to be here or he doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:02 am 
Regent's Circle

TU23, You are absolutely right. Fritz needs to move on if Spears doesn't sign tomorrow. As has been discussed, the academic side has successfully eradicated the Ivy League chasers who meanwhile tool around Tulane as a safety second choice.

The same tactic can and will work for football recruiting. Take the offer now or we're moving on. You'll be impressed with how many (obviously not 100% but still a lot) will take that offer now especially if it has a 40 year value versus say a KSU degree in southern Louisiana.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:09 am 
Emerald Circle

TU23 wrote:
For Spears to bite off on K-State without ever visiting the school would be a huge red flag for me on his maturity and decision making. Kansas State is an awful academic school in the middle of nowhere. All they have going for them is the Big 12. He should take a look to see how things have worked out for the other kids who chased conference affiliation over fit. It doesn't usually work out for them. If he doesn't sign with Tulane in December in order to flirt with K-State, I think I'd probably move on if I were Fritz. I LOVE Spears' versatility but there are plenty of other backs who can do similar things. We've held his spot for a long time in this class. He either wants to be here or he doesn't.

I agree with you 100% but it is usually more complicated. Speaking as someone who was the first in my extended family to go to college, any college, one never knows who is influencing the kid, who he talked with last, who he has rubbed shoulders with. At 17 your head is spinning and you don’t know what you don’t know. I am embarrassed to tell you the reasons I looked at some of the colleges I did back then. Plus if he is from a family of limited means with parents who don’t know what they don’t know, it compounds the confusion. Someone who has a mature influence, or even a guidance counselor with the kid’s best interest at heart is far ahead. Unfortunately now that I mentor at the local high school I am not seeing any counselors or coaches being threats for Mensa membership.

Having said that Fritz and Co. have to treat this like the business it is. Overly flirtatious behavior will make sure you stay home on Prom night.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Having said that Fritz and Co. have to treat this like the business it is. Overly flirtatious behavior will make sure you stay home on Prom night.

If the coaches didn't learn from the flirts with a certain QB we overly-wooed last year (a poster child for bad decisions), who went elsewhere, then they are hapless. But I don't think Fritz is hapless by any means. In fact, last season showed us that things turn out OK, that there are other talents out there who can get the job done (who want to be here) and we don't need to hold up recruiting for some unproven talent. TUPF is totally correct, Fritz needs to treat this like the business it is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:32 pm 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
TUPF wrote:

If the coaches didn't learn from the flirts with a certain QB we overly-wooed last year (a poster child for bad decisions), who went elsewhere, then they are hapless. But I don't think Fritz is hapless by any means. In fact, last season showed us that things turn out OK, that there are other talents out there who can get the job done (who want to be here) and we don't need to hold up recruiting for some unproven talent. TUPF is totally correct, Fritz needs to treat this like the business it is.

What you and I might think of as over-wooing, Fritz and others would simply describe as, "Never quit until it's over."

LG's initial call is almost certainly right. Scott ends up in FCS. (I just don't think it will be SU because he lives ten miles from there and I think the history of his collegiate odyssey and his hubris will not allow it. Just my SWAG.)

Meanwhile Tulane and Fritz ironically may have ended up with the true dual purpose QB from LSU who also is six inches taller and faster than Scott but who was hiding for three years on the bench as a pro style QB. We'll see next season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:39 pm 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
TUPF wrote:

What you and I might think of as over-wooing, Fritz and others would simply describe as, "Never quit until it's over."

You and I disagree on this point. We should have quit on that situation long before we did, quitting in this case meaning to put forth a deadline for a decision. In the end, we looked desperate and it was time ill spent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:22 pm 
Coach Level

Baywave1 wrote:

To me, this wasn't a question of "quitting", but rather one of resource allocation. Continuing to "woo" means you are not courting another prospect who may offer a better chance of success. That is strictly the coach's call on when to move on to the next man -- but it would not be quitting.