Quarterbacks - We Need You

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Quarterbacks - We Need You

Unread post by wavedom »

Listen. He can't throw the ball. That hasn't worked for us . He will play another position and it's time he gets focused on that so he can contribute before he leaves. To do otherwise with him is a disservice to him and the team.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Perhaps Bradwell is our guide here. Staff gave him a long and legit shot at QB which is why DB came to Tulane. Then all parties agreed a position move was best. Doesn't always work but this time for him and the team it has succeeded beyond anyone's expectations. We all agree that we want Ledford to have a similar opportunity to thrive playing football for Tulane.

Meanwhile back to thread topic. Maybe we're just in a new world where Fritz doesn't/can't solve this with freshmen and has to keep bringing in experienced folks from other programs. He has to get someone to back up Howard because sh*t happens. It's now reached point where it's not fair to ask Ledford to be that person. I'm confident Fritz will figure it out.
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Radio Wave »

Warren Bankston came to Tulane as a QB, switched to RB and wound up as a TE in the NFL.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

I have no specific love for Daniels or Ledford. We put them in the same category at Brantley, who promptedly transfered out and did this..
" Played in ten games making nine starts at quarterback... did not play at Tennessee Tech due to injury... named to Ohio Valley Conference All-Newcomer Team... set OVC and EIU record for consecutive passes thrown without an interception with 230... finished season 200-of-307 with two interceptions and a completion percentage of 65.1 percent which ranked 9th in the FCS... passed for a season high 443 yards against Indiana State going 37-of-49... the 443 yards ranked as the eighth best single season total in school history... finished Indiana State game with 458 yards of total offense which ranked as the sixth best single season total in school history... passed for 328 yards against Murray State going 28-of-42... finished season with 2,016 passing yards and 14 touchdown passes... added 310 rushing yards with six touchdowns... passed for four touchdowns against Indiana State... named OVC Newcomer of the Week on Sept. 16 following game against Indiana State... "

We have seen even less of Daniels and Ledford, both were rated higher than Brantley coming our of high school. This thread feels like "Quarterbacks - We give up on you."

The below is from the Quarterback Controversy thread. Talking about McMillan after seeing him in the Cincinnati game. It isn't meant to take a stab at anyone in particular, but rather show how we are very quick to judge. When perhaps the larger issue was coaching.

-Pete,
"After watching yesterday's game, I've come to a (disappointing) conclusion: Justin McMillan is not the answer. He is a good QB with a rocket arm and apparently a nice touch too, but Tulane can't win with him because he's a pro-style, pocket passer. He's not going to run, or even run the option...Banks needs to start, and be the clear starter. Deal with the 3-&-outs when it other times means sustained drives or huge TD plays in between. Try try try to get him to run an option and make a correct read and pitch the friggin ball sometimes. And then use McMillan as a change of pace. Bring him in when the defense starts keying on the run. Bring him in mid-drive for a play, before the defense realizes it. But don't telegraph things by saying 'we're in pro mode now because McMillan is in'. It's just not going to work."

-Wavedom,
"Banks throws a better deep ball. His running around sometimes allows WR's to get open deep such as in the Wake game. Fritz has said that McMillan is not a runner. So there's no doubt we need to go with Banks."

Wavedom, as you stated in another thread concerning the lack of production at the position. "Ruse is our QB's coach. Enough said."

Let's give Ledford and in particular Daniels a chance with hall before we decide they can't play.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Nice analysis, Poseidon. In retrospect it sure looks like McMillan was under a “do not move” edict under Ruse, or perhaps his father’s warning to not be typecast as a running QB was ringing in his ears. As for Banks, he had every opportunity to have a special two years as our starter but lack of ball security and too much reliance on hero ball put him on the bench.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

clearly we've failed at QB development which was probably a contributing factor to Ruse not being here anymore.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

and Khalil McClain who we were told was the perfect prototype QB for Friz's system who is no longer even playing QB, he's now a WR. A whole lotta' misses at QB for sure.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Evaluation, I’d say.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I thought Brantley got a raw deal. Played his freshman year with a hurt arm. In year two, plays very well at Oklahoma. Doesn’t play much afterwards. Was he better than Banks - I would say yes. Of course, the staff obviously did not agree.

The two things this staff could use is a local coach that has strong local ties to Louisiana. The second one is a reputable QB coach. Most of the quality QB’s have already signed. This has been a recurring theme when it comes to landing their guy.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote:I have no specific love for Daniels or Ledford. We put them in the same category at Brantley, who promptedly transfered out and did this..
" Played in ten games making nine starts at quarterback... did not play at Tennessee Tech due to injury... named to Ohio Valley Conference All-Newcomer Team... set OVC and EIU record for consecutive passes thrown without an interception with 230... finished season 200-of-307 with two interceptions and a completion percentage of 65.1 percent which ranked 9th in the FCS... passed for a season high 443 yards against Indiana State going 37-of-49... the 443 yards ranked as the eighth best single season total in school history... finished Indiana State game with 458 yards of total offense which ranked as the sixth best single season total in school history... passed for 328 yards against Murray State going 28-of-42... finished season with 2,016 passing yards and 14 touchdown passes... added 310 rushing yards with six touchdowns... passed for four touchdowns against Indiana State... named OVC Newcomer of the Week on Sept. 16 following game against Indiana State... "

We have seen even less of Daniels and Ledford, both were rated higher than Brantley coming our of high school. This thread feels like "Quarterbacks - We give up on you."

The below is from the Quarterback Controversy thread. Talking about McMillan after seeing him in the Cincinnati game. It isn't meant to take a stab at anyone in particular, but rather show how we are very quick to judge. When perhaps the larger issue was coaching.

-Pete,
"After watching yesterday's game, I've come to a (disappointing) conclusion: Justin McMillan is not the answer. He is a good QB with a rocket arm and apparently a nice touch too, but Tulane can't win with him because he's a pro-style, pocket passer. He's not going to run, or even run the option...Banks needs to start, and be the clear starter. Deal with the 3-&-outs when it other times means sustained drives or huge TD plays in between. Try try try to get him to run an option and make a correct read and pitch the friggin ball sometimes. And then use McMillan as a change of pace. Bring him in when the defense starts keying on the run. Bring him in mid-drive for a play, before the defense realizes it. But don't telegraph things by saying 'we're in pro mode now because McMillan is in'. It's just not going to work."

-Wavedom,
"Banks throws a better deep ball. His running around sometimes allows WR's to get open deep such as in the Wake game. Fritz has said that McMillan is not a runner. So there's no doubt we need to go with Banks."

Wavedom, as you stated in another thread concerning the lack of production at the position. "Ruse is our QB's coach. Enough said."

Let's give Ledford and in particular Daniels a chance with hall before we decide they can't play.
As for Brantley I thought a lot of him. He had an injured arm while here and it was the coaches who gave up on him too soon. As for Ledford and Daniels they aren't close to what Brantley was. Both are in the mold of what Willie has done to get good athletes here. He promises he'll play them at QB and then after a short stint there he moves them as both Ledford and Daniels have been moved. It's not a matter of giving up on them too soon. The skill set is not there for either at QB at this level. Our next QB can't help but be better but he won't be able to elevate either of them.

As for Banks he does throw a better deep ball. Willie was wrong about McMillan's lack of running ability. Happy it turned out well with McMillan at QB.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I also publicly had a meal of crow and admitted I was wrong about Banks a week or two later, after becoming fully convinced that Banks had been mentally broken by Ruse (which, it turned out, also had to do with Banks being hurt) and seeing that McMillan would and could indeed run. When I posted what is quoted above, McMillan had yet to make an effort to even halfway fake that he was going to keep it.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

McMillan runs a 4.5 forty and is 6'3" and 210. When he runs he is more than happy to lay a lick on a defender when the situation calls for it. He simply has no experience with the option. But after watching him he can be the (unexpected) prototypical dual purpose QB for Fritz's offense with some development of his option technique.

As TUPF noted, his father directed him to be a pro style QB. After sitting on the bench three years, I guess that view changed in order for him to hit the field. Good decision compared to say Mr. Scott and his advisors.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Plus he hadn't played in basically three years and got here the week the season started. I think there's an adjustment to game speed.

But at the end of the day the season that was living on a prayer was put in his hands and he delivered. LSUcks fans will forget he was ever on their team but us Tulane fans will always remember him. Just imagine if he leads us to another bowl win next season his Tulane legacy will be off the charts because he'll have done something no other QB here has ever done
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Plus he hadn't played in basically three years and got here the week the season started. I think there's an adjustment to game speed.

But at the end of the day the season that was living on a prayer was put in his hands and he delivered. LSUcks fans will forget he was ever on their team but us Tulane fans will always remember him. Just imagine if he leads us to another bowl win next season his Tulane legacy will be off the charts because he'll have done something no other QB here has ever done
Songs will be sung for generations to come?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Plus he hadn't played in basically three years and got here the week the season started. I think there's an adjustment to game speed.

There’s an Old Testament missive in there somewhere.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

There’s an Old Testament missive in there somewhere.
Sigh or archaic Greece
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:LSUcks fans will forget he was ever on their team but us Tulane fans will always remember him.
Um, no they won't, the Times-Pic won't let them. Their word processors automatically replace "McMillan" with "former LSU QB McMillan". And if he leads us to two straight bowls, the tease will be "it took you having an LSU guy to finally make two straight".

I hate them as much as any Tulane fan so I hate admitting this, but our last two bowl appearances were achieved largely on the shoulders of guys who couldn't even get on the field at LSU and left there to come to Tulane.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:LSUcks fans will forget he was ever on their team but us Tulane fans will always remember him.
Um, no they won't, the Times-Pic won't let them. Their word processors automatically replace "McMillan" with "former LSU QB McMillan". And if he leads us to two straight bowls, the tease will be "it took you having an LSU guy to finally make two straight".

I hate them as much as any Tulane fan so I hate admitting this, but our last two bowl appearances were achieved largely on the shoulders of guys who couldn't even get on the field at LSU and left there to come to Tulane.
How silly of you to assume they can read
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I don't. The Times-Picayune does.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I don't. The Times-Picayune does.
windywave
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

I'm just whistling as I stroll on by
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Nm
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

False.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Poseidon wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

False.
In the case of Davenport, false to the point of slapping the faces of the following: Julius Warmsley, Royce LaFrance, Tyler Gilbert, Nico Marley, Zach Davis, Lorenzo Doss, Jordan Sullen, Taurean Nixon, Darion Monroe, Sam Scofield, and Derrick F*****G Strozier. And there were several more solid contributors to that defense I omitted. And I hate the idea of seeming to minimize Chris Davenport’s great contribution in his one year at Tulane.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Since we like to play this game when it arises, Alabama QB Jalen Hurts has reportedly entered the transfer pool. He’d make a good RB/FB.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson