OL Coach Atkins leaving for Charlotte

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
ForeverTU
Regent's Circle

OL Coach Atkins leaving for Charlotte

Post by ForeverTU »

Per Pete Thamel just now on Twitter, he’s taking their OC job. Happy for Coach Atkins but at the same time ooof we are going to miss him. Charlotte is a fast-rising program though. Here’s wishing him all the best.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: OL Coach Atkins leaving for Charlotte

Post by Poseidon »

ForeverTU wrote:Per Pete Thamel just now on Twitter, he’s taking their OC job. Happy for Coach Atkins but at the same time ooof we are going to miss him. Charlotte is a fast-rising program though. Here’s wishing him all the best.
I am going to color this green. Now we have a chance to be a little less insular and also bring in a coach that may be more familiar with the type of offense hall will run.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

ForeverTU wrote:Per Pete Thamel just now on Twitter, he’s taking their OC job. Happy for Coach Atkins but at the same time ooof we are going to miss him. Charlotte is a fast-rising program though. Here’s wishing him all the best.
Big loss IMO. But Charlotte? Hardly fast-rising. But I get it. Perhaps AA got his nose out of joint for getting passed over by Hall? Who knows?

Hall gets to make his first big decision at Tulane. With WF's help, of course.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

This is Fritz’ decision with input from his new OC.

Thank you to Coach Atkins and the very best of luck to him and his family.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

When you look at the WAY Fritz talked about Atkins calling plays for the bowls, I thought at the time like he was almost helping him audition for his next job.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

He's getting a Coordinator job - it's a promotion for him.
Good luck to coach Atkins and thank you for all of your work at Tulane.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I have no inside info but this move was almost certainly waiting for the end of the early signing period. This is just what Big Alex needs to do at this point in his career.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

This had been in the works for a while. From right after our bowl win. Notice the end.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/statu ... 36641?s=21
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Donny Z wrote:This had been in the works for a while. From right after our bowl win. Notice the end.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/statu ... 36641?s=21
Well, I guess this is pretty much the M.O. of assistant coaches. Or any one really. Lots of folks want to be top dog, so they take any incremental opportunity that comes along. Can't blame them.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Best of luck to Coach Atkins, as others noted it’s a chance to add some new blood, I was worried that this Staff was too insular, not anymore.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

not bad to be known as a springboard for promotions
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Yankeewave wrote:not bad to be known as a springboard for promotions
This. You want folks (be it players, coaches, admin) who others want to hire or not? Like Hall, you just have to keep the ones you can and like Atkins wish well for those going elsewhere to be promoted.

One final thing: did you notice he waited until after the signing period? That was classy of Atkins and a compliment to Fritz.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

This gives us an opportunity to hire a coach with some serious ties to Louisiana high school football. This could be a win - win for Tulane and Coach Atkins.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tjtlja wrote:This gives us an opportunity to hire a coach with some serious ties to Louisiana high school football. This could be a win - win for Tulane and Coach Atkins.
If having McClesky doesn't give Tulane enough ties to Louisiana football, then they aren't worth having. Give me a guy who can recognize and recruit talent and then teach technique, I don't care if he is from Alaska.
Plan your work, work your plan.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

Maybe we can just switch O-Line coaches with Charlotte?

I heard that Charlotte’s O-Line Coach has deep Louisiana ties...
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

QuarterbackU wrote:Maybe we can just switch O-Line coaches with Charlotte?

Charlotte broome their entire staff after a 5 and 7 season. Doubt we want the guy
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Rotorooter wrote:
tjtlja wrote:This gives us an opportunity to hire a coach with some serious ties to Louisiana high school football. This could be a win - win for Tulane and Coach Atkins.
If having McClesky doesn't give Tulane enough ties to Louisiana football, then they aren't worth having. Give me a guy who can recognize and recruit talent and then teach technique, I don't care if he is from Alaska.
I want a good coach too, but preferably from our home state. WF said we need to do a better job in our own back yard when it comes to recruiting. We will see which way he goes.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Johnny Mac wrote:

Charlotte broome their entire staff after a 5 and 7 season. Doubt we want the guy
Johnny, my oldest son played baseball at UNCC and graduated the year before football’s first season. I thought the football coach did a pretty good job given the circumstances. UNCC was a very special place and the baseball coach, Loren Hibbs, was a great guy. By the way, we loved Charlotte and lived in Waxhaw for two years. Just a beautiful place.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

tjtlja wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Johnny, my oldest son played baseball at UNCC and graduated the year before football’s first season. I thought the football coach did a pretty good job given the circumstances. UNCC was a very special place and the baseball coach, Loren Hibbs, was a great guy. By the way, we loved Charlotte and lived in Waxhaw for two years. Just a beautiful place.
Did a good job? He never had a winning season and won only one game in 2017. He!! the only headlines they made the past couple years was Greg Olsen's little brother's rape trial
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Did a good job? He never had a winning season and won only one game in 2017. He!! the only headlines they made the past couple years was Greg Olsen's little brother's rape trial
Did they mention his third leg? Or is that just G-reg?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Did they mention his third leg? Or is that just G-reg?
What happens on the 7th floor stays on the 7th floor
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Starting a football program from scratch is so difficult. The jump from 1AA to CUSA is huge. The one win season was terrible. But 5-7 this year is a lot of improvement and they were definitely more competitive. Just thought he should be given more time, that’s all.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:Starting a football program from scratch is so difficult. The jump from 1AA to CUSA is huge. The one win season was terrible. But 5-7 this year is a lot of improvement and they were definitely more competitive. Just thought he should be given more time, that’s all.
See: ODU
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

"If having McClesky doesn't give Tulane enough ties to Louisiana football, then they aren't worth having. Give me a guy who can recognize and recruit talent and then teach technique, I don't care if he is from Alaska."

BINGO! + 1,000
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

tjtlja wrote:Starting a football program from scratch is so difficult. The jump from 1AA to CUSA is huge. The one win season was terrible. But 5-7 this year is a lot of improvement and they were definitely more competitive. Just thought he should be given more time, that’s all.
See: ODU
Bobby Wilder has done an amazing job at ODU. Their rise from start-up program to Colonial Athletic Champions in three years (2012 11-2), was remarkable.. Since joining CUSA, Wilders myopic attention to the O has cost them with too many shootout loses. If ODU can put it together on both sides of the ball, don't be surprised to see them in future AAC re-shuffling.