OL Coach Atkins leaving for Charlotte

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: OL Coach Atkins leaving for Charlotte

Unread post by windywave »

wave97 wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Starting a football program from scratch is so difficult. The jump from 1AA to CUSA is huge. The one win season was terrible. But 5-7 this year is a lot of improvement and they were definitely more competitive. Just thought he should be given more time, that’s all.
See: ODU
Bobby Wilder has done an amazing job at ODU. Their rise from start-up program to Colonial Athletic Champions in three years (2012 11-2), was remarkable.. Since joining CUSA, Wilders myopic attention to the O has cost them with too many shootout loses. If ODU can put it together on both sides of the ball, don't be surprised to see them in future AAC re-shuffling.
I refuse to be in a conference with Old Dominion
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

During their off-season tour last year, Coach Fritz said that Coach Atlkins will be a head coach sooner rather than later. I think this is the first big step for him.

Congrats to him, and we'll be keeping an eye on his career.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Sophandros wrote:
TUPF wrote:New OC on the sidelines has to think Atkins could be an asset and that Atkins is not that far from getting his own OC job in the near future.
According to Fritz, Atkins won't be an OC, as he is being groomed as a head coach. Dude is an assistant head coach for a reason. I think a lot of people saw that reason yesterday.
The future is now.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

tjtlja wrote:This gives us an opportunity to hire a coach with some serious ties to Louisiana high school football. This could be a win - win for Tulane and Coach Atkins.
Atkins recruited Georgia and Alabama. Two states we need to supplement our Louisiana, Southeast, Texas and national recruiting. We need the BEST players...period. Fritz realizes this. Look at Wednesday's signing class - players from 10 different states. If the best players are in LA, recruit them. If they are in Alaska, recruit there...
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I agree that we should have as many good LA recruiters as possible and consistent with covering other rich territories. But offensive line coach is not a position where you prioritize getting a specific territorial recruiter.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

long green wrote:I agree that we should have as many good LA recruiters as possible and consistent with covering other rich territories. But offensive line coach is not a position where you prioritize getting a specific territorial recruiter.
Unless he’s from the MidWest :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

waverider wrote:
long green wrote:I agree that we should have as many good LA recruiters as possible and consistent with covering other rich territories. But offensive line coach is not a position where you prioritize getting a specific territorial recruiter.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

waverider wrote:
What he said
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

Your point is well taken. There was a telling and interesting article in the Insider this week. The offensive lineman selected this year to the Pro Bowl had an average rating of 2.4 stars coming out of high school.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Just noticed that Chris Scelfo will be the offensive line coach there.
Victory is never permanent
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Unread post by DCGreenie »

windywave wrote:
wave97 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Starting a football program from scratch is so difficult. The jump from 1AA to CUSA is huge. The one win season was terrible. But 5-7 this year is a lot of improvement and they were definitely more competitive. Just thought he should be given more time, that’s all.
See: ODU
Bobby Wilder has done an amazing job at ODU. Their rise from start-up program to Colonial Athletic Champions in three years (2012 11-2), was remarkable.. Since joining CUSA, Wilders myopic attention to the O has cost them with too many shootout loses. If ODU can put it together on both sides of the ball, don't be surprised to see them in future AAC re-shuffling.
I refuse to be in a conference with Old Dominion
Virginia football has been rising in quality over the past decade and more: Richmond, ODU, VCU, James Madison, Wm & Mary (but last mentioned in a sort of slump the last several years). Given the state's size, population, the number of colleges and universities, which is staggering, and how many have stayed FCS for years and years, I am not surprised by several VA colleges and universities raising the caliber of their FB programs. VMI downgraded to FCS quite some years ago, to the great dismay and anger of students and grads. I would be surprised if that decision were ever reversed.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

OGSB wrote:Just noticed that Chris Scelfo will be the offensive line coach there.
Wait you mean in 12 years nobody has wanted him to be their head coach??? Weird...
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

OGSB wrote:Just noticed that Chris Scelfo will be the offensive line coach there.
Wait you mean in 12 years nobody has wanted him to be their head coach??? Weird...
If you can’t win at Tulane, where can you win?
Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

You and JTS are correct. I would like the best of both worlds. Great OL coach first, and great recruiter (especially in LA). Fritz said in his press conference he wish he could get more local kids. The two ways you can do that is win (which is in the bag) and having coaches who can recruit locally. But you definitely need coaches who can supplement the class with out of state D1 players.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

Chris Scelfo was the O-Line Coach of Charlotte during the 2018 season. The Head Coach that hired Coach Atkins decided not to retain Scelfo.

Scelfo is currently unemployed after one year stints at Charlotte and Houston as an O-Line Coach.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Sad to see him go but it's a definite promotion and you want to see your position coaches moving into coordinator jobs. Congratulations, appreciation, and all the best to Coach Atkins as he grows in his career.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

DCGreenie wrote:Virginia football has been rising in quality over the past decade and more: Richmond, ODU, VCU, James Madison, Wm & Mary (but last mentioned in a sort of slump the last several years). Given the state's size, population, the number of colleges and universities, which is staggering, and how many have stayed FCS for years and years, I am not surprised by several VA colleges and universities raising the caliber of their FB programs. VMI downgraded to FCS quite some years ago, to the great dismay and anger of students and grads. I would be surprised if that decision were ever reversed.
Hopefully, you're not contributing to the VCU football team - 'cause they don't have one. It's a club sport there.
DCGreenie
President's Circle

VCU - Okay, you got me. I was thinking of other teams, but VCU was stuck in the back of my shriveled 76-years-old brain because my dermatologist is a VCU grad.....
DCGreenie
President's Circle

FYI: https://oneclass.com/blog/virginia-comm ... am.en.html. Fortunately, VCU has a medical school and center, so it is well-equipped to deal with the surge in concussions and other injuries if VCU fields a team in, say, the FCS -- or even Div. II. III........
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Well acquainted with VCU as my wife graduated from there. Make at least one trip to Richmond each year.
wave97
Head Trainer

Unread post by wave97 »

Virginia Tech has built a program recruiting the Tidewater. UVA will continue to be UVA in spite of themselves. NOVA will always be a pro-market of transient Federal parasites. ODU has virtually no competition for the entertainment dollar & SWO's make an easy audience.
Don't sleep on ODU.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

wave97 wrote:Virginia Tech has built a program recruiting the Tidewater. UVA will continue to be UVA in spite of themselves. NOVA will always be a pro-market of transient Federal parasites. ODU has virtually no competition for the entertainment dollar & SWO's make an easy audience.
Don't sleep on ODU.
Although I am just south of the border of Virginia, most of the fans who pull for teams from the Commonwealth seem to lean more toward Va tech. Of course, a big part of that is the fact that Eastman chemical, with its plethora of engineers, has a ton of alumni. Not a lot of visible support for UVA in people I know from SW VA.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

wave97 wrote:Virginia Tech has built a program recruiting the Tidewater. UVA will continue to be UVA in spite of themselves. NOVA will always be a pro-market of transient Federal parasites. ODU has virtually no competition for the entertainment dollar & SWO's make an easy audience.
Don't sleep on ODU.
Ironically the Tidewater building houses the Tulane Medical Group admin offices on Canal St in NOLA
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote:Although I am just south of the border of Virginia, most of the fans who pull for teams from the Commonwealth seem to lean more toward Va tech. Of course, a big part of that is the fact that Eastman chemical, with its plethora of engineers, has a ton of alumni.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with a few decades of winning. :angel:

Seriously, if Tulane had the sustained success that VA Tech had for 15-20 years, we'd have a fanbase stretching into Southern Mississippi, even at the expense of USM. Same situation you're describing.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
AO Sig wrote:Although I am just south of the border of Virginia, most of the fans who pull for teams from the Commonwealth seem to lean more toward Va tech. Of course, a big part of that is the fact that Eastman chemical, with its plethora of engineers, has a ton of alumni.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with a few decades of winning. :angel:

Seriously, if Tulane had the sustained success that VA Tech had for 15-20 years, we'd have a fanbase stretching into Southern Mississippi, even at the expense of USM. Same situation you're describing.
And we'd be in the Big 12
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone