2018 Bowl Games

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

2018 Bowl Games

Post by PeteRasche »

A nice story about Georgia Southern's win (despite the little shade thrown at Fritz):
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: 2018 Bowl Games

Post by gerryb323 »

Shade?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Well, you know, "things were great then Tulane stole their coach"... Not REALLY shade but sorta that offhanded "taking advantage of this poor school who had just made the D1 jump" feel. I probably should have said "teeny tiny" rather than "little". 8)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:Well, you know, "things were great then Tulane stole their coach"... Not REALLY shade but sorta that offhanded "taking advantage of this poor school who had just made the D1 jump" feel. I probably should have said "teeny tiny" rather than "little". 8)
I’ll give them that. Some of us remember that @sshole lurker from Clemson who posted on sportsonly.com/tulane, “we’re coming to get your coach”, and he was right. :twisted:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

One legacy of Willie that did remain at GSU (besides the true QB option play :green wink: ):

Didn't GSU just set an FBS record for fewest turnovers in a season?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Baywave1 wrote:One legacy of Willie that did remain at GSU (besides the true QB option play :green wink: ):

Didn't GSU just set an FBS record for fewest turnovers in a season?
Assuming I heard right and nothing changed after that, GSU fumbled 12 times and lost only 5. They didn't throw any interceptions. If that's not a record then wow.
Victory is never permanent
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Baywave1 wrote:One legacy of Willie that did remain at GSU (besides the true QB option play :green wink: ):
The triple option had been at GSU for decades before Willie Fritz. And part of the condition of hiring him was him promising he'd take what he does more in the direction of triple option. GSU was never a good indicator of the type of offense Fritz wants to run, and I think its one of the reasons he wanted out (money being a bigger reason)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Close game in the Armed Forces Bowl. Near the end of the third quarter, Army up by seven...touchdowns.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of Cougars. :wink:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Close game in the Armed Forces Bowl. Near the end of the third quarter, Army up by seven...touchdowns.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of Cougars. :wink:

Fan since '54
Dude the game was yesterday
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Didn't realize that. Haven't watched a game since the Cure Bowl. Just did a little math and that is 385 pushups by the pushup crew. I imagine they slept pretty well last night. :lol:

Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Didn't realize that. Haven't watched a game since the Cure Bowl. Just did a little math and that is 385 pushups by the pushup crew. I imagine they slept pretty well last night. :lol:

Fan since '54
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Interesting that there is so much "lack of regulation" for such occurrences. You'd think it happened more often, but it's actually really rare.
https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/c ... ed-weather
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

I don't ever remember anywhere near the amount of lightning/weather delays that we had this year.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:I don't ever remember anywhere near the amount of lightning/weather delays that we had this year.
It could be the weather did spike in that direction recently. It could be the science at detecting nearby harsh weather events has improved. It could be risk tolerance has lessened here as well. My uneducated guess is probably a combination of all three.

Most of the more seasoned folks here grew up in times where absent a literal hurricane in the neighborhood no game was ever halted or postponed for harsh weather.

A simple google search gives many examples of injured/killed soccer players/fans in foreign matches but only a few American football examples. Interesting some Buc fans were hurt a few years ago by a post-NFL game lightning strike.

This is no different from getting golfers off the course in severe inclement weather. Even Lee Trevino was famously struck when play was slow to be halted.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:I don't ever remember anywhere near the amount of lightning/weather delays that we had this year.
It could be the weather did spike in that direction recently. It could be the science at detecting nearby harsh weather events has improved. It could be risk tolerance has lessened here as well. My uneducated guess is probably a combination of all three.

Most of the more seasoned folks here grew up in times where absent a literal hurricane in the neighborhood no game was ever halted or postponed for harsh weather.

A simple google search gives many examples of injured/killed soccer players/fans in foreign matches but only a few American football examples. Interesting some Buc fans were hurt a few years ago by a post-NFL game lightning strike.

This is no different from getting golfers off the course in severe inclement weather. Even Lee Trevino was famously struck when play was slow to be halted.
I presume it's mostly the latter two reasons you mention (both of those are probably good reasons too).

I was a bit annoyed during the SMU game to learn that if you seek shelter outside of the stadium for one of these weather events you can't get back in. I live close enough to walk quickly home, there was no immediate threat when the game was halted, and standing under a crowded grandstand with kids didn't seem like a very good option when I could be home in 5 minutes. But it resulted in me having to watch the game on tv.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

MattK wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

I presume it's mostly the latter two reasons you mention (both of those are probably good reasons too).

I was a bit annoyed during the SMU game to learn that if you seek shelter outside of the stadium for one of these weather events you can't get back in. I live close enough to walk quickly home, there was no immediate threat when the game was halted, and standing under a crowded grandstand with kids didn't seem like a very good option when I could be home in 5 minutes. But it resulted in me having to watch the game on tv.

You raise a good point about stadium access and egress during a storm delay. Tulane is trying to be neighbor friendly. Let the PTB know about this obviously special situation and maybe they'll accomodate it in the future.
Last edited by Baywave1 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Too bad there wasn't a natural weather event that cancelled the Cal - TCU game last night. What a waste of air time. A 7 - 7 tie going into overtime. TCU won as Cal could not muster any points throwing the 9th interception of the game in the 1st OT. On the play, TCU was called for sideline interference and had to start on their 40 and eventually kick a field goal to win it.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

sr wrote:Too bad there wasn't a natural weather event that cancelled the Cal - TCU game last night. What a waste of air time. A 7 - 7 tie going into overtime. TCU won as Cal could not muster any points throwing the 9th interception of the game in the 1st OT. On the play, TCU was called for sideline interference and had to start on their 40 and eventually kick a field goal to win it.
That was fantastic. I couldn't turn it off. My favorite part was at the end of regulation when TCU sent out the FG kicker (4-8 for the season with a long of 41), Cal called a TO to ice him, TCU called that kicker back and sent out the other kicker, then sent the first kicker back in to shank the hell out of it.

My other favorite part was that TCUs "best weapon" was too injured to be involved in the offense, but they sent him on jet sweep action on nearly every play as a decoy. And he somehow still was their best weapon because he was healthy enough to return punts and was really effective at it.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

MattK wrote:
sr wrote:Too bad there wasn't a natural weather event that cancelled the Cal - TCU game last night. What a waste of air time. A 7 - 7 tie going into overtime. TCU won as Cal could not muster any points throwing the 9th interception of the game in the 1st OT. On the play, TCU was called for sideline interference and had to start on their 40 and eventually kick a field goal to win it.
That was fantastic. I couldn't turn it off. My favorite part was at the end of regulation when TCU sent out the FG kicker (4-8 for the season with a long of 41), Cal called a TO to ice him, TCU called that kicker back and sent out the other kicker, then sent the first kicker back in to shank the hell out of it.

My other favorite part was that TCUs "best weapon" was too injured to be involved in the offense, but they sent him on jet sweep action on nearly every play as a decoy. And he somehow still was their best weapon because he was healthy enough to return punts and was really effective at it.
OK. I'll give you the FG to win it in regulation. That was truly bizarre. When Patterson switched kickers twice after the 'freeze the kicker' TO. Plus the sideline interference call, the Ref really sent the TCU person sprawling on the ground rolling at least once. Had the TCU guy gone all the way for a seemingly TD, would that have counted since it was OT?
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

sr wrote:
MattK wrote:

OK. I'll give you the FG to win it in regulation. That was truly bizarre. When Patterson switched kickers twice after the 'freeze the kicker' TO. Plus the sideline interference call, the Ref really sent the TCU person sprawling on the ground rolling at least once. Had the TCU guy gone all the way for a seemingly TD, would that have counted since it was OT?
the announcers said at some point during TCUs possession that it would have been nullified. I presume they were correct.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

MattK wrote:
sr wrote:
MattK wrote:

the announcers said at some point during TCUs possession that it would have been nullified. I presume they were correct.
Yeah, that's my understanding as well, but the announcers weren't noticeably saying it wouldn't count.

Stats for TCU's QB -- and they won.

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Auburn, just WOW
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

gerryb323 wrote:Auburn, just WOW
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Plenty of rumors after the regular season that Auburn was thinking of canning Malzahn and going after Brohm. Not sure you'd want to make that trade now. Auburn can score 100 if they want