Ranking The Bowl Games From Worst To Best:

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Ranking The Bowl Games From Worst To Best:

Post by OGSB »

How Good Was Your Bowl?
21. AutoNation Cure Bowl
Tulane 41, Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Pre-Bowl Matchup Ranking: 35
It seemed like it was over after 20 minutes - but it got sort of fun. Tulane overcame an early 7-0 deficit with 24 straight points, but Louisiana-Lafayette roared back to pull within three in the fourth. The Green Wave pulled away with 14 unanswered points for a better game than the final score might indicate.
- 5 Thoughts on the AutoNation Cure Bowl
Victory is never permanent
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Re: Ranking The Bowl Games From Worst To Best: FIESTA BOWL

Post by DCGreenie »

There will be differing criteria to be sure. But the bowl that was most disappointing (disgusting?) was, for me, the Fiesta Bowl. Once again, LSU proved that they are replete with thugs on the team (three players in a shootout with an alleged robber; two players ejected; players repeatedly taunting and insulting the opposing team players) and an intemperate coach who, at points in the game, was clearly angered/terrified that LSU might lose and was desperate to "make a statement" about LSU football quality (screaming at refs., assistant coaches, and players; smashing headsets). For the latter, there are other coaches who have been recorded screaming and berating others on the field (Levitt of USF; Woody Hayes, etc.), but the entire team and coaches put on the most repellent display I have seen in a long, long time. As for the game itself, I still think that a healthy McKenzie Milton could have beaten LSU. As it was, a green sub QB almost did so, even with the multiple mistakes he made (e.g., when the rush came, his eyes fell on the LSU players closing in and he stopped searching downfield for receivers). LSU has nothing to be proud of with the appalling display it mounted throughout the game, and it confirms how I have felt about LSU for the last 60+ years. And I have no adequate words to express it -- esp. on the Board.......

As for other criteria, GA was a disgrace in the Sugar Bowl -- the players didn't care about playing the game, and even the commentators remarked on it. I turned off the game before the first half was finished.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Ranking The Bowl Games From Worst To Best:

Post by gerryb323 »

As re: UGA, when you make the system about the championship and you are expected to contend for it, this is what happens when you don't get there.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

gerryb323 wrote:As re: UGA, when you make the system about the championship and you are expected to contend for it, this is what happens when you don't get there.
I agree but I also agree with the "NIT argument". Use your opportunity to show you should've been in.
Victory is never permanent
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

OGSB wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:As re: UGA, when you make the system about the championship and you are expected to contend for it, this is what happens when you don't get there.
I agree but I also agree with the "NIT argument". Use your opportunity to show you should've been in.
This is why the playoffs will be expanded to 8 teams. More bowls will have teams playing for more than the bowl itself, which equals more $.
double d
Coach Level

Post by double d »

MNAlum wrote:
OGSB wrote:
This is why the playoffs will be expanded to 8 teams. More bowls will have teams playing for more than the bowl itself, which equals more $.

Heard a bunch of the talking heads saying that after the semi-finals they don't think going to 8 will be good. More blowouts in their opinion.

At least the linked list from the OP's post got the most enjoyable game right.
1. Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl

Baylor 45, Vanderbilt 38

Pre-Bowl Matchup Ranking: 14

It turned into a thriller with the two teams combining for over 1,200 yards with a whole lot of mood swings, big plays, home runs and scoring. How much fun was this? Baylor took the lead in the fourth on a 75-yard touchdown pass, and ended up winning it on a 52-yard scoring play with under two minutes to go. It was exactly what you want a bowl game like this to be.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

Having to listen to the PBP guys babbling on about the difference in SEC linemen and lower tier FBS teams simply points out the reasons that somehow there needs to be an open path available to a National Championship series. Without it there will never be a level field in recruiting the higher rated athletes that the BCS and Power Five conferences immediately became privy to.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I'm channeling my inner windy here: When your fearsome mascot gets literally "cowed" by a castrated steer in a pregame stare down, you ain't beating nobody.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

StPeteWave wrote:Without it there will never be a level field in recruiting the higher rated athletes that the BCS and Power Five conferences immediately became privy to.
This reminds me of the old Golden Rule: "he who has the gold makes the rules."

The P5 doesn't want anyone recruiting equally to them. They keep their "top dog" status and they don't have to share their millions with the G5. ESPN/ABC/Fox/etc. doesn't want equality either because they've invested billions in covering P5 games and want their investment to be "the best".
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Ranking The Bowl Games From Worst To Best: FIESTA BOWL

Post by Johnny Mac »

DCGreenie wrote:There will be differing criteria to be sure. But the bowl that was most disappointing (disgusting?) was, for me, the Fiesta Bowl. Once again, LSU proved that they are replete with thugs on the team (three players in a shootout with an alleged robber; two players ejected; players repeatedly taunting and insulting the opposing team players) and an intemperate coach who, at points in the game, was clearly angered/terrified that LSU might lose and was desperate to "make a statement" about LSU football quality (screaming at refs., assistant coaches, and players; smashing headsets). For the latter, there are other coaches who have been recorded screaming and berating others on the field (Levitt of USF; Woody Hayes, etc.), but the entire team and coaches put on the most repellent display I have seen in a long, long time. As for the game itself, I still think that a healthy McKenzie Milton could have beaten LSU. As it was, a green sub QB almost did so, even with the multiple mistakes he made (e.g., when the rush came, his eyes fell on the LSU players closing in and he stopped searching downfield for receivers). LSU has nothing to be proud of with the appalling display it mounted throughout the game, and it confirms how I have felt about LSU for the last 60+ years. And I have no adequate words to express it -- esp. on the Board.......

As for other criteria, GA was a disgrace in the Sugar Bowl -- the players didn't care about playing the game, and even the commentators remarked on it. I turned off the game before the first half was finished.
The worst orgeron moment was pumping his fist in the air when replay review confirmed the targeting call on the UCF defensive back. Seriously? Celebrating a competitor getting kicked out of the game like it was a coaching accomplishment? Doosh bag.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

PeteRasche wrote:
StPeteWave wrote:Without it there will never be a level field in recruiting the higher rated athletes that the BCS and Power Five conferences immediately became privy to.
This reminds me of the old Golden Rule: "he who has the gold makes the rules."

The P5 doesn't want anyone recruiting equally to them. They keep their "top dog" status and they don't have to share their millions with the G5. ESPN/ABC/Fox/etc. doesn't want equality either because they've invested billions in covering P5 games and want their investment to be "the best".
College sports are like pro sports, but without a draft, salary cap or transparency. No wonder the top dogs stay on top. Best analogy is to La Liga - Barcelona and Real Madrid make all the money, make all the rules, and get all the best players.