Will Half Of All Colleges Really Close In The Next Decade?

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Will Half Of All Colleges Really Close In The Next Decade?

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Will Half Of All Colleges Really Close In The Next Decad

Unread post by TUPF »

Not sure it will be as drastic as the article says but I have thought that a major consolidation has been overdue for years. All you have to do is look at endowments. It’s no different than a family budget—if there are not a lot of reserves all it takes is a couple of years of running deficits before the well is dry. And unlike families, a university might not be able to run up the equivalent of credit card debt very long.

Like the article says, add in a shrinking customer pool (students) and you have a brewing perfect storm.

In the Philadelphia area alone there must be 40 tiny colleges that no one except their neighbors has heard of. I see a lot of real estate coming available in a few years.
Last edited by TUPF on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Probably. I'd going on in detail about the idiocy tolerated and propagated on campuses plus the softness of snowflakes needing luxurious accommodations and food plus the abject failure of educating but then I'd have to start taking orders for therapy emus again.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

I'm skeptical when an article title suggests a conclusion in the form of a question. That's the foundation of many (most?) conspiracy theory presentations. When I see a title like this I pass on reading it.

If there is a conclusion to be gleaned from the evidence, then allude to the conclusion in the title; don't admit up front that "this is just a filler article; we can't draw any conclusions from the facts we purport to present."

And no, I have no interest in reading this particular article.

Now get off my lawn!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Roller wrote:I'm skeptical when an article title suggests a conclusion in the form of a question. That's the foundation of many (most?) conspiracy theory presentations.

When I see a title like this I pass on reading it.
Without a fundamental change in spending and consequently "students'" expectations it is inevitable
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

No and we won’t be flying jetsons cars either
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16