Tulane SMU MBB tonight

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane SMU MBB tonight

Post by OGSB »

angrywavedad wrote:The moral victory of beating the spread at home against a mediocre SMU team is pretty weak tea.
Moral victories may be the best we can hope for. That or the bottom falling out.
Victory is never permanent
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote:I disagree on the talent level if ROE were playing. That's why this year is so disappointing both with current performance of the others and missing a key player .

I agree totally on defensive scheme. Dunleavy seems to have almost totally sacrificed short term goals to make his team "learn" NBA man-to-man. This team is defensively slow plus certain players either lack technique today to play man to man or the grit to do it effectively. (WSJ had a great article a few weeks ago that no college player at that time had been willing to take a charge from Zion R. of Duke. I get who likes being in the way of a freight train of whatever size but it's a required part if the strategy is to work.)

If Tulane played a zone the majority of the time and literally packed the middle regularly, I safely guess with this year's schedule it would have at minimum a .500 record even with its recent poor shooting. Just this fan's opinion.
Sorry but ROE would help a little but he's not all that. He certainly would not make others look better because they just don't have it. Dunleavy is sold on himself but recruits and their families certainly haven't been.
We deserve so much better
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:I disagree on the talent level if ROE were playing. That's why this year is so disappointing both with current performance of the others and missing a key player .

I agree totally on defensive scheme. Dunleavy seems to have almost totally sacrificed short term goals to make his team "learn" NBA man-to-man. This team is defensively slow plus certain players either lack technique today to play man to man or the grit to do it effectively. (WSJ had a great article a few weeks ago that no college player at that time had been willing to take a charge from Zion R. of Duke. I get who likes being in the way of a freight train of whatever size but it's a required part if the strategy is to work.)

If Tulane played a zone the majority of the time and literally packed the middle regularly, I safely guess with this year's schedule it would have at minimum a .500 record even with its recent poor shooting. Just this fan's opinion.
Sorry but ROE would help a little but he's not all that. He certainly would not make others look better because they just don't have it. Dunleavy is sold on himself but recruits and their families certainly haven't been.
An effective drive and dish point guard would make this team better; in fact it's almost a necessity of Dunleavy's offense - which calls into question his recruiting wisdom. Barrett shows zero ability to do this without getting out of control throwing the ball away (and seems to be losing playing time as a result - even with ROE out). Without it, they're just swinging the ball around the outside and hoping the defense gets bored. Jordan Walker is our one hope in this regard but he's not showing up until next season.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

Who was the kid dressed in gray sweats that kept jumping back and forth along the sideline in front of our bench during TOs ?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

StPeteWave wrote:Who was the kid dressed in gray sweats that kept jumping back and forth along the sideline in front of our bench during TOs ?
I believe you're talking about either ROE or Walker. They were both there in sweats
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

angrywavedad wrote:
wavedom wrote:

An effective drive and dish point guard would make this team better; in fact it's almost a necessity of Dunleavy's offense - which calls into question his recruiting wisdom. Barrett shows zero ability to do this without getting out of control throwing the ball away (and seems to be losing playing time as a result - even with ROE out). Without it, they're just swinging the ball around the outside and hoping the defense gets bored. Jordan Walker is our one hope in this regard but he's not showing up until next season.
It would of course help some. ROE has not proven to be a highly effective one. Plus if we had one there isn't much for him to dish to inside or out. Sehic can sometimes do it inside but he tends to hesitate which allows defenders to recover and he can't get off the floor much. On the outside Daniels has been the most consistent of what we have but no one else can be counted on. So we'd have a couple of more OOC wins maybe but the conference record wouldn't be affected by it much if any.
We deserve so much better
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

The Cincinnati team that we lost to by nearly 30 lost to ECU today.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

washwave wrote:The Cincinnati team that we lost to by nearly 30 lost to ECU today.
* tries to care enough to snark, fails. Shrugs. *

Until the bottom falls out, my friends.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

OGSB wrote:
washwave wrote:The Cincinnati team that we lost to by nearly 30 lost to ECU today.

Until......
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

GSx wrote:
OGSB wrote:

Until......
There’s no sardonic button.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

ROE is not the answer, but he would help.

And I agree with Bay on zone defense. What bothers me is the man doesn’t take advantage of the rules available to him compared to the rules of the NBA. If he was a football coach, would he teach targeting.

Someone with basketball knowledge please explain to me why we don’t play zone from a strategic standpoint? What advantage do we gain by playing man with the talent we have?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I suppose 32 is nearly 30, if you think about it.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Toughness matters … a change is coming -

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 9ac15.html
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

sr wrote:Toughness matters … a change is coming -

we lose at USF by 25
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Money quote:

The effects of the Wave’s free fall have been obvious. Athletic director Troy Dannen attended practice last Thursday, watching Tulane work on half-court drills and talking to injured point guard Ray Ona Embo (patellar tendinitis) and senior guard Jordan Cornish while he sat out with a minor injury.

Northern Iowa had an excellent men's hoops program under Dannen. Just sayin'.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I never thought things like blocking out and "toughness" (playing good defense?) were anything but good basic basketball skills.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

GretnaGrn wrote:Money quote:

The effects of the Wave’s free fall have been obvious. Athletic director Troy Dannen attended practice last Thursday, watching Tulane work on half-court drills and talking to injured point guard Ray Ona Embo (patellar tendinitis) and senior guard Jordan Cornish while he sat out with a minor injury.

Exactly. Nobody will question him for putting football in Willie Fritz's hands, but he's gotta own basketball.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

James Harden is arguably the best offensive player in the NBA and is almost definitely the worst defensive starting guard. (We'll leave the whys to the PhD psychologists.) Rockets don't complain because while your guy is putting 20 up on him, he's putting 30 up on you. The math works.

So we'd all be ok about the lack of Tulane defense if our guys could score like UNLV in the day much less Harden. Until then as GB notes this is basic basketball stuff, Tulane needs to do to win.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Troy Dannen attends a lot of MBB practices. And his share of other teams' practices, from what I understand.

When I went and sat in on a practice during my homecoming visit in 2017, Dannen was there when I arrived and the team was just watching film (different from my day when film was in the locker room, they had actually rolled a big flatscreen out on the court and were watching right there, and could walk through teaching moments as they occurred on the film). Dannen was sitting with the team, watching and listening. I stayed in the doorway and waited until the film work was over and the team hit the court, and then walked over to sit down. Within two minutes, Dannen saw me sitting there, came over, introduced himself, sat down with me, and we talked about the team while we watched for >20 minutes before he excused himself for another commitment.

Now try to imagine his predecessor (who didn't even know what sports were in session at certain times) doing that. Said it before, will say it again, 180 degrees from the last regime.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:

Troy Dannen attends a lot of MBB practices. And his share of other teams' practices, from what I understand.

When I went and sat in on a practice during my homecoming visit in 2017, Dannen was there when I arrived and the team was just watching film (different from my day when film was in the locker room, they had actually rolled a big flatscreen out on the court and were watching right there, and could walk through teaching moments as they occurred on the film). Dannen was sitting with the team, watching and listening. I stayed in the doorway and waited until the film work was over and the team hit the court, and then walked over to sit down. Within two minutes, Dannen saw me sitting there, came over, introduced himself, sat down with me, and we talked about the team while we watched for >20 minutes before he excused himself for another commitment.

Now try to imagine his predecessor (who didn't even know what sports were in session at certain times) doing that. Said it before, will say it again, 180 degrees from the last regime.
This makes it even more significant, I think. He obviously sees what's happening. He's used to basketball success at his previous stop.

And you're absolutely right that it's a very welcome change from his predecessor.....
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:
sr wrote:Toughness matters … a change is coming -

we lose at USF by 25
Well, 13 minutes in and we're down 14 and have only scored 12 points...
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

15 first half turnovers. Is that a record?
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Someone used that fact months ago as evidence that Dannen knows how to build a successful basketball program, but a more important fact is that he didn’t hire the coach at Northern Iowa. The coach was already there.
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Post by GreenHeart »

I think you can hear the disappointed acceptance in Graf's play-by-play. Whereas earlier in the season, you would hear more emotion and his voice would sink at any disappointing turn. Now he's merely filling the role of a very good, professional announcer. Sadly, he's got a lot more games like this one to call.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Temple might have just handed Houston their first loss of the season. When do we play them? :?
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?