Thinking back to the coaching change after Toledo

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Thinking back to the coaching change after Toledo

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Didn't Dabo Swinney's name come up when Tulane was looking to replace Bob Toledo?

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
GSx
Emerald Circle

Re: Thinking back to the coaching change after Toledo

Post by GSx »

No
Good gracious.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Didn't Dabo Swinney's name come up when Tulane was looking to replace Bob Toledo?

Fan since '54
only from Fletcher Mackel
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Thanks Krewe. I thought I remembered that name showing up somewhere in the recent past.

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Didn't Dabo Swinney's name come up when Tulane was looking to replace Bob Toledo?

Fan since '54
In what world were we going to take Clemson’s head coach away from them?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Sweeney almost got fired after his second season. Let's remember he was on Bowden's staff and got promoted as interim after Bowden walked mid-season. He did not enjoy success until the third season. The world where he may have been on a Tulane wish list involved him being canned by Clemson and nothing more.
SirLurxalot
Trainer

Post by SirLurxalot »

A lot of names came up on this forum including Sweeney, Leach, and RichRod. We had no realistic shot at any of them. It's not like we chose CJ over them.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

SirLurxalot wrote:A lot of names came up on this forum including Sweeney, Leach, and RichRod. We had no realistic shot at any of them. It's not like we chose CJ over them.
Swinney did but come up. A simple search will show that. At least my search doesn't show Swinney in relation to our job. Now, maybe this Sweeney character..
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

We couldn't even convince Mark Hudspeth from U-La-La to interview for the job. NOBODY wanted the job.
This one belongs to the Wave.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Were there a lot of people pursuing the job when Fritz took it?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:Were there a lot of people pursuing the job when Fritz took it?
I would think it was much more attractive than it was in 2011 with Curtis Johnson was hired due to:
A) being a member of the American
B) Yulman was already built
C) not working under the Cowen/Dickson regime
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

my understanding is that after the Toledo mis-hire the school (BOA) made a commitment to Div.1A athletics at Tulane that included a number of things like improved facilities and budgets. Which meant we had more money to offer a potential HC and his Staff
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:I would think it was much more attractive than it was in 2011 with Curtis Johnson was hired due to:
A) might have been part of it but it was more that we were NOT in CUSA
B) possibly, but not if you believe the Yulman haters
C) DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER... Of 100 reasons why the Tulane job was better when Fritz was hired than when CJ was, the first 97 of them are this one.

GreenieBacker wrote:my understanding is that after the Toledo mis-hire the school (BOA) made a commitment to Div.1A athletics at Tulane that included a number of things like improved facilities and budgets. Which meant we had more money to offer a potential HC and his Staff
I'm sure you are thinking of the whole "Playbook" thing, remember? It failed miserably because by the time we cut bait with Toledo, as stated above, NO ONE wanted our job.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:I would think it was much more attractive than it was in 2011 with Curtis Johnson was hired due to:
A) might have been part of it but it was more that we were NOT in CUSA
B) possibly, but not if you believe the Yulman haters
C) DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER... Of 100 reasons why the Tulane job was better when Fritz was hired than when CJ was, the first 97 of them are this one.

GreenieBacker wrote:my understanding is that after the Toledo mis-hire the school (BOA) made a commitment to Div.1A athletics at Tulane that included a number of things like improved facilities and budgets. Which meant we had more money to offer a potential HC and his Staff
I'm sure you are thinking of the whole "Playbook" thing, remember? It failed miserably because by the time we cut bait with Toledo, as stated above, NO ONE wanted our job.
holy s(p)it I forgot all about the playbook thing
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I cannot remember, but who was interviewed for the football and basketball positions?

In baseball, it was Andy, Matt, and Andrew Checketts.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote:I cannot remember, but who was interviewed for the football and basketball positions?

In baseball, it was Andy, Matt, and Andrew Checketts.
ALERT!!!

Doug Gottlieb

SARCASM!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

EagerBiever wrote:Fletcher Mackel's football candidates were as follows:

Rob Ryan
Ed Oregeron
Joe Philbin
Everett Withers
Joe Moorhead
Jim Haslett
Bob Schoop

I still have this tweet saved because of how utterly preposterous it was and refuse to forget it

I cannot trust anything that is typed by his fingers
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote:

As I remember it, CJ was our fourth choice and guys like Mike Leach wouldn't even interview. Further, we were rejected by the Robert Morris basketball HC--ROBERT MORRIS (I forget his name, but he later got into trouble at Rutgers and subsequently fired). Conroy was another fourth or fifth choice. If that isn't embarrassing, then you cannot be embarrassed.
Plan your work, work your plan.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Who was interviewed when Fritz and Dunleavy were hired?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Roto, I remember the coaching search when we finally landed on Conroy as being pretty embarrassing. No one seemed to want that job.

As for the CJ hire, again if memory serves, Rich Rod was almost signed and delivered when Arizona swooped in at the last second and scooped him up. Now, if we had fired Banquet Bob after his fourth season here as he richly deserved, we could probably have signed RR who was available.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

GreenieBacker wrote: As for the CJ hire, again if memory serves, Rich Rod was almost signed and delivered when Arizona swooped in at the last second and scooped him up. Now, if we had fired Banquet Bob after his fourth season here as he richly deserved, we could probably have signed RR who was available.
This. And while its true that few wanted it, our desire to spend our newly-approved-BOA money to get a "splash" hire is, IMO, what led us to hire CCJ. I have reason to believe the TP report that our first offer was to Bowden. And we know we worked hard on Rich Rod (how close is up for debate, but my understanding is it was close). People were talking about Leach (even though it was never going to happen), and when Dickson started to swing and miss he started to panic. Heck, offering Bowden first shows the whole thing was a panic to begin with. So excited that he was being backed with $ to go make a splash he got more obsessed with the splash than good common sense. And when he kept striking out on any real splash, he made the biggest splash he could, a member of the super popular (locally) Saints. Even though he wasn't even a 1/4 to the best candidate.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16