Tulane-USF

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Tulane-USF

Post by NJwave »

I think this may be the worst Tulane team I have seen in the last 25 years. The effort is terrible. We threw it all over the gym, let guys beat us down the floor all night, couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and made no effort to get the ball inside or take it to the rim. Nobody dives for loose balls. It’s like a team just going through the motions.
doc
President's Circle

Re: Tulane-USF

Post by doc »

Why didn’t Daniels play? Does anyone know?
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

26 turnovers. Cornish had 9 by himself.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

doc wrote:Why didn’t Daniels play? Does anyone know?
Unspecified injury.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

illness was the report on Daniels via TV and also from Graf on radio....was in sweat suit on sideline
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TU77CAL82 wrote:26 turnovers. Cornish had 9 by himself.
That's horrendous. I understand a little deference to a "senior leader" but you can't keep a guy on the floor with that many turnovers. You just can't.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:
That's horrendous. I understand a little deference to a "senior leader" but you can't keep a guy on the floor with that many turnovers. You just can't.
Barrett had 7 turnovers. 16 turnovers from your starting guards is unheard of.

We had 17 field goals, 26 turnovers and missed 27 shots. Not including foul shots, it means we scored on 17 of 70 possessions. Who the heck can you beat with that kind of offensive efficiency?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
Agree. He is just a turnover waiting to happen and it's every game for two years now. MD just said he no longer has any tolerance for mistakes. You make one you sit. He needs to make it apply here.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote:We had 17 field goals, 26 turnovers and missed 27 shots. Not including foul shots, it means we scored on 17 of 70 possessions. Who the heck can you beat with that kind of offensive efficiency?
That is truly stunning incompetence and the kind of stats that, if the media gave half a rat's bottom about us (to the point that they even noticed those numbers), might even make national news chatter.

To answer your question: we could beat absolutely no one. Not even winless bottom-of-the-barrel SWAC teams. Oh, wait, we already lost to one of those.

I hope no one on this site is so desperate at this stage to try to argue that "well, USF plays really good defense."
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

NJwave wrote:I think this may be the worst Tulane team I have seen in the last 25 years. The effort is terrible. We threw it all over the gym, let guys beat us down the floor all night, couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and made no effort to get the ball inside or take it to the rim. Nobody dives for loose balls. It’s like a team just going through the motions.
From a talent standpoint, is this the worst team you have seen in 25 years - especially when you put all the pieces together.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Sounds like they've quit !!
chitown4tu
Riptide Level

Post by chitown4tu »

The bb teams while I was a student were pretty bad, but they hustled. Bolyard was could at taking charges. Bolieu was on that team, 71-75
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

PeteRasche wrote:
NJwave wrote:We had 17 field goals, 26 turnovers and missed 27 shots. Not including foul shots, it means we scored on 17 of 70 possessions. Who the heck can you beat with that kind of offensive efficiency?
That is truly stunning incompetence and the kind of stats that, if the media gave half a rat's bottom about us (to the point that they even noticed those numbers), might even make national news chatter.

To answer your question: we could beat absolutely no one. Not even winless bottom-of-the-barrel SWAC teams. Oh, wait, we already lost to one of those.

I hope no one on this site is so desperate at this stage to try to argue that "well, USF plays really good defense."
I agree - a D1 team can’t be much worse. If anything the score flattered the Green Wave. The dominance felt more like a 30+ point loss.

I live in the Northeast and get to see a lot of lower level college ball (Patriot, Ivy, MAAC, etc) and Tulane would be at the bottom of all those conferences. It’s shocking they are an AAC team.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

angrywavedad wrote:I agree - a D1 team can’t be much worse. If anything the score flattered the Green Wave. The dominance felt more like a 30+ point loss.

I live in the Northeast and get to see a lot of lower level college ball (Patriot, Ivy, MAAC, etc) and Tulane would be at the bottom of all those conferences. It’s shocking they are an AAC team.
And it's shocking that a middle-pack-in-a-good-conference team from last year lost only two players and added some decent freshmen yet regressed SO much. I have zero insider knowledge but this sure points to off-court problems. People keep tossing around "they've quit" but it's starting to look very likely. There's no way to recover from a situation like that without the thing that shall not be named until March.
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

If we can't talk about it during the season, there probably isn't much to say for the rest of the season except that the powers that be should be talking about it during the season.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:I agree - a D1 team can’t be much worse. If anything the score flattered the Green Wave. The dominance felt more like a 30+ point loss.

And it's shocking that a middle-pack-in-a-good-conference team from last year lost only two players and added some decent freshmen yet regressed SO much. I have zero insider knowledge but this sure points to off-court problems. People keep tossing around "they've quit" but it's starting to look very likely. There's no way to recover from a situation like that without the thing that shall not be named until March.
I hope you're wrong but performance speaks for itself. I'm just curious what if any changes MD will do this season. Let's remember WF pulled his starting QB and replaced him (successfully) with someone who had literally been with the team a matter of weeks.

As to what must not be named until March, my guess is no change. So again I hope you're wrong and MD and team figure it out soon.

Meanwhile see the real diehards Sunday at the Memphis game. I'll get all the Wave tee shirts I ever wanted if Tulane makes a few threes.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:
That might be below average for him.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

PeteRasche wrote:

Conversely, you could say it was also shocking that a team with two NBA(ish) players was only middle of the pack.

Nobody looked at the loss of Frazier and Reynolds and said the team would be better, but nobody thought that they'd be one of the worst in the country either.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

this group seems to lack a floor leader with the talent and personality to pull these players together into a team- someone perhaps like a Paul Thompson, Anthony Reed, etc. Clearly its not coming from the Coaching Staff and maybe it can't come just from there. Too many disparate parts all doing their thing with not much success and now a collapse.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tulanerules
Junior

Post by tulanerules »

sundays game goes direct against saints in the playoffs. crickets in the gym.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

The unacceptability just continues to grow. Inexcusable effort and coaching. This is an emergency that Dannen can't ignore come March, barring a MAJOR turnaround that I see no chance of happening.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

tjtlja wrote:
NJwave wrote:I think this may be the worst Tulane team I have seen in the last 25 years. The effort is terrible. We threw it all over the gym, let guys beat us down the floor all night, couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and made no effort to get the ball inside or take it to the rim. Nobody dives for loose balls. It’s like a team just going through the motions.
From a talent standpoint, is this the worst team you have seen in 25 years - especially when you put all the pieces together.
Not even close. There were teams with very little talent but I'm hard pressed to think of a team that didn't always give everything they had. We have had undersized centers who fought like heck to hold their own and in some cases became pretty good.

We went zone a few times yesterday and the guys looked lost as to what their responsibilities were. We trapped a few times in the first half. There was one time in particular where had a player dove he would have had a steal. Instead he gave a half hearted attempt at getting to the ball and USF ended up with a dunk.

It's bad enough we are losing, but we are not improving and the effort isn't there. I almost wish we would play some of the walkons. I guarantee they would at least hustle.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tulanerules wrote:sundays game goes direct against saints in the playoffs. crickets in the gym.
Not really. I expect Sound Wave, Shock Wave and Cheerleaders will be there stoked with too loud DJ. It will be noisy but it won't be from the fans. Too bad.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Conversely, you could say it was also shocking that a team with two NBA(ish) players was only middle of the pack.

Nobody looked at the loss of Frazier and Reynolds and said the team would be better, but nobody thought that they'd be one of the worst in the country either.
You’d be surprised what some people talked themselves into. Some people on this board always just assume we’ll be improved next year, no matter what we lose.
LSU Law Greenie
Coach Level

Post by LSU Law Greenie »

Per Jordan Cornish's twitter account 3 hours ago "Dear Lord, thank you for being slow to anger. Please help me turn to you when I feel anger build. Help the only red I see to be the precious blood you shed for me. In your name I pray, Amen"

God help us all and Tulane Basketball.
My name is T. J. Acosta and I approve this message!