2019 football schedule and ESPN way too early top 25

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

2019 football schedule and ESPN way too early top 25

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Looking at our schedule next year and ESPN's "Way too early top 25", we have numbers 14 (UCF), 23 (Auburn) and 25 (Army) on the schedule.. throw in our regulars in the west. FIU and Temple, and we face 8 bowl teams from 2018.

If we run the table, we'd have much higher consideration for the playoff than UCF did (yeah, I'm being funny.. or attempting to at least). Seriously, though, that's going to be a tough schedule and I am thinking we're finally capable of succeeding against one as daunting.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: 2019 football schedule and ESPN way too early top 25

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote:Looking at our schedule next year and ESPN's "Way too early top 25", we have numbers 14 (UCF), 23 (Auburn) and 25 (Army) on the schedule.. throw in our regulars in the west. FIU and Temple, and we face 8 bowl teams from 2018.

If we run the table, we'd have much higher consideration for the playoff than UCF did (yeah, I'm being funny.. or attempting to at least). Seriously, though, that's going to be a tough schedule and I am thinking we're finally capable of succeeding against one as daunting.
for s(h)its and giggles I looked up the NY6 schedule for next season, semi-finals are the Fiesta and Peach Bowls. Due to conference tie-ins the G5 rep would more than likely end up in the Cotton Bowl
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Johnny Mac wrote: If we run the table, we'd have much higher consideration for the playoff than UCF did
Cute that you think so. We'd still be ranked lower than UCF was this year. It'd take running the table two years in a row to have a shot, even with Auburn on the schedule
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

We played 7 bowl teams (excluding ULaLa) this year, plus our FCS opponent advanced in their playoffs. It's a bit of a harder schedule, but not by a huge margin.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote: If we run the table, we'd have much higher consideration for the playoff than UCF did
Cute that you think so. We'd still be ranked lower than UCF was this year. It'd take running the table two years in a row to have a shot, even with Auburn on the schedule
It would depend on what Auburn and Army do in their other games. If Auburn only loses one or two in conference and Army basically wins out and beats Oklahoma it would be very interesting.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

This is not a tough schedule unless you grade on a huge curve based on being a G5 and our history. The Bowl team metric is useless when 78 teams make Bowls. If this was 1970 when there were only 11 Bowls and we were facing eight Bowl teams it would be a killer schedule. Times have changed. I don't grade on a curve. We are a D-1 FBS program along with 129 others. There are no unbeatable teams on that schedule and only two that if we won would really catch people's attention in Auburn and UCF. Now let's go do it.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

The schedule is difficult enough that if by some long chance Tulane does run it then it will be in the conversation for legitimate recognition by all observers however one wishes to define it.

Meanwhile season double digit win total including bowl game seems to be a universally acknowledged milestone for a good team so I'll start with that as a challenge goal for next season along with contending for AAC title. OK with me though if team decides to exceed expectations! :green wink:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

I'll take a back to back bowl games. Seriously stop being clowns, set realistic goals like 7 regular season wins 8 for a reach.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:I'll take a back to back bowl games. Seriously stop being clowns, set realistic goals like 7 regular season wins 8 for a reach.
This 7 (regular season) wins would be a success. Hope for 8. Anything more is laigniappe.

Heck, I wouldn't burn the house down next year at 6 (depending on how we got there)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

A lot changes year to year as well, so I wouldn't really project this year's schedule based on last year's bowl teams. Any of these teams could fall off or improve drastically, even midseason. Look at what Cinci did year over year or even what Temple did after a very slow start. I think we are trending up and that's not necessarily true for some teams on this schedule. Our goal should be to win the West and play in the AAC title game. In year four that should be realistic.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

Thinking back, and I'm guessing here, there were probably only 4 bowls in the year I was born (Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange), and we now have 30+ more. Saturating the market. Oh, and there was only a "top 20" for a long time, and teams played 10 games, except some (mostly Big 10) that only had nine. And if you wanted to watch a game on TV, there were only about six that could be seen on a Saturday.

Anyway, 7 wins regular season would be okay. More would be better. But our schedule seems to be a wee bit tougher than '18s. That's why we they play the games.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
windywave
Emerald Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:Thinking back, and I'm guessing here, there were probably only 4 bowls in the year I was born (Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange), and we now have 30+ more. Saturating the market. Oh, and there was only a "top 20" for a long time, and teams played 10 games, except some (mostly Big 10) that only had nine. And if you wanted to watch a game on TV, there were only about six that could be seen on a Saturday.

Anyway, 7 wins regular season would be okay. More would be better. But our schedule seems to be a wee bit tougher than '18s. That's why we they play the games.

Fan since '54
And there were no seat belts, you asked the operator to connect you, and polio was a thing.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:A lot changes year to year as well, so I wouldn't really project this year's schedule based on last year's bowl teams. Any of these teams could fall off or improve drastically, even midseason. Look at what Cinci did year over year or even what Temple did after a very slow start. I think we are trending up and that's not necessarily true for some teams on this schedule. Our goal should be to win the West and play in the AAC title game. In year four that should be realistic.
That's fair, I mean we won the west in year 3 so there's that too
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:Thinking back, and I'm guessing here, there were probably only 4 bowls in the year I was born (Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange), and we now have 30+ more. Saturating the market. Oh, and there was only a "top 20" for a long time, and teams played 10 games, except some (mostly Big 10) that only had nine. And if you wanted to watch a game on TV, there were only about six that could be seen on a Saturday.

Fan since '54
And there were no seat belts, you asked the operator to connect you, and polio was a thing.
They huddled together in their caves for warmth at night and to stay safe from the saber-toothed tigers.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:A lot changes year to year as well, so I wouldn't really project this year's schedule based on last year's bowl teams. Any of these teams could fall off or improve drastically, even midseason. Look at what Cinci did year over year or even what Temple did after a very slow start. I think we are trending up and that's not necessarily true for some teams on this schedule. Our goal should be to win the West and play in the AAC title game. In year four that should be realistic.
This.
We deserve so much better
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:

Fan since '54
They huddled together in their caves for warmth at night and to stay safe from the saber-toothed tigers.
No, all the saber-toothed tigers had already been drowned in a green wave.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
WaveProf
Cornerstone

This is fair, if only because I think every team in our division is trending downward except Houston, and even Houston is trending downward other than their hire of a coach (who may not be able to "fix" them right out of the gate). I'd like to play Houston early in the year, but it seems likely we'll play them the week before thanksgiving (that seems to be getting standard)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:

Fan since '54
No, all the saber-toothed tigers had already been drowned in a green wave.

Fan since '54
A certain someone must have wished them good juju...