Fritz had a press conference to wrap up the season.

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Fritz had a press conference to wrap up the season.

Post by OGSB »

In all honesty instead of the endless Thursday Night Football Debate, I thought there’d be more reaction to this:
Opponents have slowed down Tulane too often, and Fritz admitted they may have solved his old system.

“There’s always this race whether either offensive or defensively, someone’s doing something and then that other side of the ball catches up, and you have to change a little bit more,” he said. “What we were doing a few years ago, you see more teams doing it now and having a clue on how to defend it. When you do something a little bit different, that first year you run it, it’s amazing how little knowledge they have of how to defend it.”
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

OGSB wrote:
In all honesty instead of the endless Thursday Night Football Debate, I thought there’d be more reaction to this:
Opponents have slowed down Tulane too often, and Fritz admitted they may have solved his old system.

“There’s always this race whether either offensive or defensively, someone’s doing something and then that other side of the ball catches up, and you have to change a little bit more,” he said. “What we were doing a few years ago, you see more teams doing it now and having a clue on how to defend it. When you do something a little bit different, that first year you run it, it’s amazing how little knowledge they have of how to defend it.”
thats pretty interesting. It’s also nice to have a coach that understands there is a problem and is seeking a solution instead sticking with what isn’t working.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It is good that he recognized it but it would have been nice if he recognized that during his first year here. Wish it hadn't taken things getting to the brink to open his eyes. May we never go down that road with him again. I'm hopeful we won't.
We deserve so much better
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Gee, I wonder why he didn't recognize this issue in his first year. There certainly weren't any other issues to hinder us then.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

CT Wave wrote:Gee, I wonder why he didn't recognize this issue in his first year. There certainly weren't any other issues to hinder us then.
+1
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:It is good that he recognized it but it would have been nice if he recognized that during his first year here. Wish it hadn't taken things getting to the brink to open his eyes. May we never go down that road with him again. I'm hopeful we won't.
Is it hard going through life for you so [redacted]?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:
CT Wave wrote:Gee, I wonder why he didn't recognize this issue in his first year. There certainly weren't any other issues to hinder us then.
+1
Seriously? That's what you got? It failed out the box and continued to do so and hindered recruiting especially at the QB position. We still haven't attracted a quality freshman QB because of it. So yes there were other issues but in no way does that account for him not recognizing this during his first year.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

wavedom wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
+1
Seriously? That's what you got? It failed out the box and continued to do so and hindered recruiting especially at the QB position. We still haven't attracted a quality freshman QB because of it. So yes there were other issues but in no way does that account for him not recognizing this during his first year.
So we are talking about offense, right. His first year there was the conversion from CCJ's "Saints" offense to the Fritz offense and there was not any QB on the team with any college experience at all. And you would expect to learn about the offensive scheme from that starting point?

That first year he recruited two high school QB's. Yes, Bradwell did not work out as a QB, but he is an outstanding RB. And the other has been discussed here as better than Banks, but it did not work out for him here -- maybe because of the QB coach. I don't know why, but he certainly showed promise.

Now as to your comment "getting to the brink", what are you referencing? Being on the brink of a bowl season in his second year except for a blown call on the last play of the season? Or on the brink of a losing season this year against Navy -- except that we had a game winning drive and conversion. Please elaborate.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I like you wavedom, but general rules to live by:

1) don't bring someone's wife into it

2) don't be so demeaning toward women as to act like its horrible if she has equal or more power in the relationship

3) don't come across as more inappropriate than Windy, because that's just really saying something

:angel:
Last edited by WaveProf on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

CT Wave wrote: So we are talking about offense, right. His first year there was the conversion from CCJ's "Saints" offense to the Fritz offense and there was not any QB on the team with any college experience at all. And you would expect to learn about the offensive scheme from that starting point?

That first year he recruited two high school QB's. Yes, Bradwell did not work out as a QB, but he is an outstanding RB. And the other has been discussed here as better than Banks, but it did not work out for him here -- maybe because of the QB coach. I don't know why, but he certainly showed promise.

Now as to your comment "getting to the brink", what are you referencing? Being on the brink of a bowl season in his second year except for a blown call on the last play of the season? Or on the brink of a losing season this year against Navy -- except that we had a game winning drive and conversion. Please elaborate.

This.

Honestly, there are reasons that we STILL don't know if what he was doing was/was not going to work (he still hasn't had a Fritz style QB), but kudos to Fritz for not sitting around and waiting longer, bringing in fresh ideas, and saying after 3 years, I need/want to make a change.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:General rules to live by:

3) don't come across as more inappropriate than Windy, because that's just really saying something

:angel:
Like I always say..."If I think you've crossed the line you're way past the line
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

CT Wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
+1
So we are talking about offense, right. His first year there was the conversion from CCJ's "Saints" offense to the Fritz offense and there was not any QB on the team with any college experience at all. And you would expect to learn about the offensive scheme from that starting point?

The offense was horrible year one. It was obvious teams at this level could handle his triple option. Year two was salvaged by Banks athleticism which helped overcome the scheme.

Yes he recruited two HS QB's and neither is a D-1 QB which is what I said. He still hasn't recruited a quality freshman QB.

The brink was 2-5 this year. It was so bad we had people like LG stop posting during the season so he wouldn't be banned.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

wavedom wrote:The offense was horrible year one. It was obvious teams at this level could handle his triple option. Year two was salvaged by Banks athleticism which helped overcome the scheme.

The brink was 2-5 this year. It was so bad we had people like LG stop posting during the season so he wouldn't be banned.
I think it is ridiculous to conclude the offensive scheme was horrible in the first year given the transition and the players on the team. You seem foolish to me to insist on such a conclusion.

So the brink was 2-5 this year, before the horrible offensive scheme finished 5-1. How could that be? Well maybe the offense was not horrible but still able to be substantially improved. I will take it!
Bob Knight
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The offense was bad the last three years. But judging that in year 1 when we had no QB experience and a dearth of talent is revisionist history. It's silly to expect a coach who'd had success at every level to abandon his system after one year with a very bad hand. Year two was puzzling and year 3 the right moves were made at season's end. IT would have been so easy to stand pat since we made a bowl, but WF made a move because he saw the need. Be happy we have a coach that will do that.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:The offense was bad the last three years. But judging that in year 1 when we had no QB experience and a dearth of talent is revisionist history. It's silly to expect a coach who'd had success at every level to abandon his system after one year with a very bad hand. Year two was puzzling and year 3 the right moves were made at season's end. IT would have been so easy to stand pat since we made a bowl, but WF made a move because he saw the need. Be happy we have a coach that will do that.
Roger that, Outlaw.
Bob Knight
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

CT Wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:The offense was horrible year one. It was obvious teams at this level could handle his triple option. Year two was salvaged by Banks athleticism which helped overcome the scheme.

I think it is ridiculous to conclude the offensive scheme was horrible in the first year given the transition and the players on the team. You seem foolish to me to insist on such a conclusion.

So the brink was 2-5 this year, before the horrible offensive scheme finished 5-1. How could that be? Well maybe the offense was not horrible but still able to be substantially improved. I will take it!
It was obvious it wasn't going to work then and many recognized the issues then. You're entitled to your opinion and to be wrong as often as you like.

The 5-1 finish came against the weak part of the schedule. We played some horrific defenses in that stretch that couldn't stop the run. That simpleton system wasn't going to cut it against any team with a decent defense. Thus the change.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:The offense was bad the last three years. But judging that in year 1 when we had no QB experience and a dearth of talent is revisionist history. It's silly to expect a coach who'd had success at every level to abandon his system after one year with a very bad hand. Year two was puzzling and year 3 the right moves were made at season's end. IT would have been so easy to stand pat since we made a bowl, but WF made a move because he saw the need. Be happy we have a coach that will do that.
Not revisionist at all. As I said above many questioned it during and after year one. It was clear the teams at this level had the athletes to handle his version of the triple option. Go back and read my OP. I made it clear I was happy we had a coach that could do that.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I think wavedom makes some valid points. When you are getting paid what Fritz is getting paid, you watch the film and make adjustments. He knew he had Tanner Lee. He knew he had Teddy Veal. He had an offense in place to win. He should have hired an OC back then to match the type of team he had. It was a terrible miscalculation and cost us three consecutive winning seasons. And he should know something about the passing game. He has been around football for 30+ years. It was a huge mistake.

And I think not playing Brantley more in year 2 was another mistake. But it is the past, and we are now going to be a team going forward that plays the type of offense most recruits want to play. There will be a bigger pool of QB’s to choose from and it is an absolute necessity he gets a game changing QB.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

tjtlja wrote:I think wavedom makes some valid points. When you are getting paid what Fritz is getting paid, you watch the film and make adjustments. He knew he had Tanner Lee. He knew he had Teddy Veal. He had an offense in place to win. He should have hired an OC back then to match the type of team he had. It was a terrible miscalculation and cost us three consecutive winning seasons. And he should know something about the passing game. He has been around football for 30+ years. It was a huge mistake.

And I think not playing Brantley more in year 2 was another mistake. But it is the past, and we are now going to be a team going forward that plays the type of offense most recruits want to play. There will be a bigger pool of QB’s to choose from and it is an absolute necessity he gets a game changing QB.
Did you type the part where he had Tanner Lee and an offense in place to win with a straight face?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Wait really? Because he had neither Lee nor Veal in year one. Those guys transferred and it wasn't like WF could pull replacements out of his butt

And it didn't cost us three consecutive winning seasons. We had a winning season this year. It cost us at most two, and you can argue a missed field goal vs Cinci/being jobbed by refs vs SMU are the reason we didn't have a winning season in year two. That's not on Fritz's offense.

Wavedom, I'm sorry but you must be some kind of prophet. Nobody on here that I can recall could draw any solid conclusions in year one. We had NO quarterback experience. The cupboard was completely bare. Good for you that you're ok with the move now, but there's no way you can convince me he should have known to totally abandon a previously super successful system after year one.
Last edited by tulaneoutlaw on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

This conversation is augering in with comments from an augur.
Bob Knight
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Just a reminder, attacks on fellow posters (or their relatives) is not allowed. I believe I removed all of the offending posts.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
tjtlja wrote:I think wavedom makes some valid points. When you are getting paid what Fritz is getting paid, you watch the film and make adjustments. He knew he had Tanner Lee. He knew he had Teddy Veal. He had an offense in place to win. He should have hired an OC back then to match the type of team he had. It was a terrible miscalculation and cost us three consecutive winning seasons. And he should know something about the passing game. He has been around football for 30+ years. It was a huge mistake.

Did you type the part where he had Tanner Lee and an offense in place to win with a straight face?
No, I didn’t say anything knowing what everyone would say. But I did say Tanner had talent while he was here. Fritz should have seen that as an opportunity to develop Tanner. And I also said we had nothing close to him on the roster. The drop off from Tanner to Glenn C. to Bradford to Brantley was ridiculous. Wouldn’t you agree with that assessment after reviewing the film? How Fritz did not see that is mind boggling. You cannot win without a QB unless you are Alabama or LSU. Same thing was obviously apparent with Veal. It was a terrible decision at that time, and it was terrible decision now. We would have had three consecutive winning seasons.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Wait really? Because he had neither Lee nor Veal in year one. Those guys transferred and it wasn't like WF could pull replacements out of his butt

And it didn't cost us three consecutive winning seasons. We had a winning season this year. It cost us at most two, and you can argue a missed field goal vs Cinci/being jobbed by refs vs SMU are the reason we didn't have a winning season in year two. That's not on Fritz's offense.

Wavedom, I'm sorry but you must be some kind of prophet. Nobody on here that I can recall could draw any solid conclusions in year one. We had NO quarterback experience. The cupboard was completely bare. Good for you that you're ok with the move now, but there's no way you can convince me he should have known to totally abandon a previously super successful system after year one.

They transferred because of the system. They were told what we were going to do offensively and decided to hit the road. Fritz should have recognized the talent he had and adjusted accordingly. He didn’t and we loss. Plain and simple. And saying he could not have adjusted is hogwash. He is adjusting now and why, because he doesn’t have the talent to run his system. And it did cost us three winning seasons and probably several QB’s along the way.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

OGSB wrote:“There’s always this race whether either offensive or defensively, someone’s doing something and then that other side of the ball catches up, and you have to change a little bit more,” he said. “What we were doing a few years ago, you see more teams doing it now and having a clue on how to defend it. When you do something a little bit different, that first year you run it, it’s amazing how little knowledge they have of how to defend it.”
Here is Coach Fritz's explanation for changing the offensive system. Makes sense to me. Doesn't say anything about not having the talent necessary.
Bob Knight