Jazzfest 50th anniversary 2019 lineup

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Jazzfest 50th anniversary 2019 lineup

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Jazzfest line up is out. Probably the deepest big-name list ever. I know that's not what most New Orleanians want (heck, I used to go for the local acts)... But this is an impressively-diverse and incredibly deep list. And they are clearly going for crowd numbers with DMB *AND* Buffett in the same year.

The Rolling Stones
Dave Matthews Band
Katy Perry
Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band
Chris Stapleton
Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band
Pitbull
Santana
Van Morrison
Al Green
Logic
Earth, Wind & Fire
J Balvin
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue with Nevilles
Gladys Knight
The Revivalists
Leon Bridges
John Fogerty
Chaka Khan
Herbie cork sucker
Tank and The Bangas
Tom Jones
Bonnie Raitt
Ciara
Alanis Morissette
Irma Thomas
Gary Clark Jr.
The O'Jays
The Head and The Heart
The Doobie Brothers
Jimmy Cliff
Ziggy Marley
Aaron Neville
Boz Scaggs
Galactic
Jerry Lee Lewis
Indigo Girls
Rebirth Brass Band
Mavis Staples
Los Lobos
Ellis Marsalis Family Tribute featuring Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo, and Jason with Ellis Marsalis
Big Freedia
Kamasi Washington
Rita Coolidge
Buddy Guy
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Better Than Ezra
Cowboy Mouth
Last edited by PeteRasche on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: Jazzfest 50th anniversary 2019 lineup

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

MR. WORLDWIDE....DALÈ!!!!!! :dots:
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Holy Fats -

Last edited by sr on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Notice the old traditional fest closer, the Neville Brothers, are joining the new closer, Trombone Shorty. Nice move for the 50th anniversary.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Pete--Based on the TINY attendance last time Buffett played Jazz Fest (was it just last year?) I dont think he's going to rush up the numbers at all. I've never seen an emptier Acura, and it was nice weather. They've either oversaturated Buffett at Jazz Fest or else his fanbase has disapeared (I'm guessing its the saturation). They still have him because he loves playing Jazz Fest, is great friends in real life with Clint, and he ticks boxes with the age group/demographic that buys the big chief experience. But the turnout for him last time was truly tiny, and hasn't been "huge" the last FEW times he's played
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

WaveProf wrote:Pete--Based on the TINY attendance last time Buffett played Jazz Fest (was it just last year?) I dont think he's going to rush up the numbers at all. I've never seen an emptier Acura, and it was nice weather. They've either oversaturated Buffett at Jazz Fest or else his fanbase has disapeared (I'm guessing its the saturation). They still have him because he loves playing Jazz Fest, is great friends in real life with Clint, and he ticks boxes with the age group/demographic that buys the big chief experience. But the turnout for him last time was truly tiny, and hasn't been "huge" the last FEW times he's played
sweet...sounds like I should go then.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

So many people on this list I'm like "they're still alive?!"
Would be a good celebrity death pool list
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

So a friend just messaged this (I assume he saw it somewhere online that is authoritative but I don't know):
So apparently jazz fest is only allowing 30,000 people in for the day the Rolling Stones play. Basically they’re the only show that people are going to want to go see and that’s why there aren’t many acts playing that day.
If so, not cool. I mean, they handled 160k in 2001, why not let as many come as want to come? Honestly most Stones fans are so old that they'd be scared away by the logistics and possible weather of Fest.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:So a friend just messaged this (I assume he saw it somewhere online that is authoritative but I don't know):
So apparently jazz fest is only allowing 30,000 people in for the day the Rolling Stones play. Basically they’re the only show that people are going to want to go see and that’s why there aren’t many acts playing that day.
If so, not cool. I mean, they handled 160k in 2001, why not let as many come as want to come? Honestly most Stones fans are so old that they'd be scared away by the logistics and possible weather of Fest.
They're still alive?!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

More from said friend:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:So a friend just messaged this (I assume he saw it somewhere online that is authoritative but I don't know):
They're still alive?!
You guys mustn't be referencing Tulane Stones' fans …
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:More from said friend:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.
For a bunch of geezers?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

windywave wrote:
For a bunch of geezers?
My out of town daughter is making my wife get in line on Thursday for tickets ( I think it's $165 each.) I told them they're nuts. Those guys are older than me.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
windywave wrote:
For a bunch of geezers?
My out of town daughter is making my wife get in line on Thursday for tickets ( I think it's $165 each.) I told them they're nuts. Those guys are older than me.
May may not come fast enough for half of the performers!
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

gerryb323 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
windywave wrote:
For a bunch of geezers?
May may not come fast enough for half of the performers!
Mick Jagger will probably have another kid by then
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

I missed the Stones in the Dome in both 89 and 94. I've regretted it since, and their upcoming tour doesn't look to be coming even remotely close to here (not to mention cost) unless they add another bunch of dates. I don't care how old they are, Mick is still Mick and the rest of the guys just stand or sit around anyway, and they are an all-time legendary band. Simon & Garfunkel were past their prime in 2010 but I'm still glad I got to see them before they quit. Seeing the Stones at Jazzfest would have been ideal for me.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Interesting read on how the booking of the Stones came about …

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... =hootsuite
WaveProf
Cornerstone

They just added John Prine on my birthday.

But not a lot else that day, and I’d have to fight the Dave Matthews and pitbull crowds, so I still may sit it out
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

This is my wife's THING. She goes every year, religiously. One of the last times I remember going Roy Orbison performed. :roll:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

The Stones postponed their tour and thus canceled their appearance.

The risk of putting all your eggs in a geriatric basket. 8)
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Well, let's see if Jazz Fest has a fall back position or will they just refund tickets and move on. Looks like Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Seger and Jimmy Cliff are also out.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

With AARP sponsoring a tent this year, it all kind of stands to reason :angel:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

sr wrote:Well, let's see if Jazz Fest has a fall back position or will they just refund tickets and move on. Looks like Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Seger and Jimmy Cliff are also out.
Refund tickets. Lol
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

Saw that Mick Jagger will have heart valve surgery. Discussed some of the main causes of valvular heart disease over the years with the resident who is rotating with me; several possibilities pop in my mind...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

AO Sig wrote:Saw that Mick Jagger will have heart valve surgery. Discussed some of the main causes of valvular heart disease over the years with the resident who is rotating with me; several possibilities pop in my mind...
The most casual observer knows Mick lived a rock & roll life, but will drugs/sex/rock&roll cause a valve problem? I always thought parts just wear out once congenital conditions are ruled out. Edumacate me, please. (BTW, I had open heart surgery at age 9 in 1966 at NIH, Bethesda to repair an atrial septal defect—I’m donating my heart to science when I take a dirt nap so they can see how the Teflon patch fared.)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium