Go Saints!

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Go Saints!

Post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:"I personally have not seen the play..."

Regardless of whether he was watching live, talking to the media after is part of his job. He should have watched it before answering questions. But easy out for him
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Wow. If that official in the photo is the back judge (and I have no way to tell without seeing the whole field) he is egregiously out of position. That’s high school officiating mechanics. He should have released to go deep and should have been right on top of the play. That’s the reason he missed the call—he was 15 yards out of position and thus blocked from what we all saw as an obvious call.

He should never officiate an NFL game again.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Post by GreenHeart »

I am the angriest of the AngryWave:

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

TUPF wrote:Wow. If that official in the photo is the back judge (and I have no way to tell without seeing the whole field) he is egregiously out of position. That’s high school officiating mechanics. He should have released to go deep and should have been right on top of the play. That’s the reason he missed the call—he was 15 yards out of position and thus blocked from what we all saw as an obvious call.

There was an official five yards or so on the sideline staring face on at the players. I think the picture above may be of the crew chief ref who said "I didn't see the play" or whatever the exact quote was.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wild ... se-it/amp/

How would New Orleans feel if Goodell reversed the call?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wild ... se-it/amp/

How would New Orleans feel if Goodell reversed the call?
Vindicated?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Baywave1 wrote: I think the picture above may be of the crew chief ref who said "I didn't see the play" or whatever the exact quote was.
The exact quote is the quote above the picture - white hat denotes chief.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I have decided that this year I will not be watching the super bowl. The Rams got in dishonestly; the defender admits that he purposely did what he did and knew it was an infraction, to his credit. The "helmet rule" was put in place to protect players from head injuries; the Saints lost their tight end when a defender's helmet crashed into his, and the concussion protocol was put in place (the refs saw that he was dazed; how do they think he got that way?). That is at least two helmet contacts that the refs decided did not warrant their calling on the defenders.

I also cannot stand watching New England; they are the poster children on how to cheat and get away with it. They make Alabama look like the Vienna Boys' choir.

Hallmark channel has the Puppy bowl; I would rather have that on.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

the Ref in question is now apparently saying the ball was "tipped" which is why there was no call. According to a Ram's player anyway.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

I suppose decade after decade of being a Tulane fan should have prepared me for what happened to the Saints. Someone mentioned the Miami fifth down - and also the idiot ref who said Banks didn't score when the whole world saw him score. And let's not forget the Iowa State so-called two-point conversion for the "win" where their RB was down at the two and slid into the end zone, and a game against Ole Miss where the timekeeper ran out the clock instead of stopping it for the chains to move after we made a first down deep in Ole Miss territory (Jeff Wenhold reception) and could have scored to take the lead, and the refs running out the clock on Tulane in the Memphis game when our ball carrier had clearly gone out of bounds, and another game against Ole Miss where they literally tackled our receivers multiple times when the ball was in the air with no PIs called (one of which resulted in a so-called interception after bouncing off our receiver who had been wrapped up and taken to the ground), and the Mississippi State game where their QB got up off his knees to run for what the refs let stand as the winning touchdown, and I could go on, but the point is that Tulane fans are uniquely qualified to sympathize with Saints diehards today. I can't think of a football fan base that has had to endure more inept and outright biased officiating than Tulane's.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

GreenieBacker wrote:the Ref in question is now apparently saying the ball was "tipped" which is why there was no call. According to a Ram's player anyway.
In general, and TUPF can speak to this better, on tipped balls the flag gets thrown and then picked up after a discussion.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
TUPF wrote:Of course my favorite team is the Eagles, who overachieved last season and put a scare into the Saints last weekend. With the Eagles out, now it’s the Saints.

Whenever I’m asked, my second favorite team is anyone who plays the Cowboys.
Hey TUPF, if you actually like the Saints, can you stop starting “Go Saints!” threads before they play games you want them to win?
You did the same thing before the cowboys game they lost. http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51754
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. At least I didn’t use a faux Cajun spelling. :oops:
:twisted: too late. You’re worse than whoever it is that starts the ju-ju threads in my book
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

GreenieBacker wrote:the Ref in question is now apparently saying the ball was "tipped" which is why there was no call. According to a Ram's player anyway.
Tipped??

https://twitter.com/JJMcCleskey/status/ ... 82338?s=20
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

The issue of a tipped pass would affect the pass interference call, but it would not affect any helmet to helmet hit that the NFL had suggested occurred. Hill was knocked out with such a hit in the first half; the refs did not even think about how he got his bell rung as they sent him off the field. Ridiculous. The second largest media market won out.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

AO Sig wrote:The issue of a tipped pass would affect the pass interference call, but it would not affect any helmet to helmet hit that the NFL had suggested occurred. Hill was knocked out with such a hit in the first half; the refs did not even think about how he got his bell rung as they sent him off the field. Ridiculous. The second largest media market won out.
There is no issue concerning a tipped ball. The ball was not tipped.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:
TUPF wrote:Wow. If that official in the photo is the back judge (and I have no way to tell without seeing the whole field) he is egregiously out of position. That’s high school officiating mechanics. He should have released to go deep and should have been right on top of the play. That’s the reason he missed the call—he was 15 yards out of position and thus blocked from what we all saw as an obvious call.

There was an official five yards or so on the sideline staring face on at the players. I think the picture above may be of the crew chief ref who said "I didn't see the play" or whatever the exact quote was.
Yup, my disbelief got the best of me. The back judge does not wear white. That’s the referee and he is in the offensive backfield.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

sr wrote:The OT should have never happened. They call that as they should have and the game is OVER.
EXACTLY! The Saints (with the penalty) get the ball first down and goal to go inside the 10, run the clock down as far as they can with running plays, and kick a GAME-WINNING FG.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

sr wrote:
AO Sig wrote:The issue of a tipped pass would affect the pass interference call, but it would not affect any helmet to helmet hit that the NFL had suggested occurred. Hill was knocked out with such a hit in the first half; the refs did not even think about how he got his bell rung as they sent him off the field. Ridiculous. The second largest media market won out.

There is no issue concerning a tipped ball. The ball was not tipped.
THERE WAS NO TIPPED ANYTHING.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

there was a video from WGNO that shows the referee standing on the goal line, 5 yards away just waving "incomplete" then rushing and gesturing violently at the trailing referee on the same sideline as if to say "don't throw it, not your call"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Horrible call aside, it should never have come down to that. Saints had the ball in easy FG range. All Payton had to do is call 3 running plays and kick the FG. The Rams would be out of time outs with barely any time left. But no, Payton has to get cute and pass the ball - hello Dan Quinn. Also, getting burned by a fake punt when McVay loves to call fakes.He ran one against us earlier in the year. That gave them new life. I knew that was coming, how the hell does Payton let that happen? How does he let The Vikings pull off that win last year? How does he lest Vernon Davis burn us for that huge play a few years back? I know SP is the best thing that ever happened to the Saints, but we seem to be on more than our fair share of epic losses under him.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Man in Green wrote:Horrible call aside, it should never have come down to that. Saints had the ball in easy FG range. All Payton had to do is call 3 running plays and kick the FG. The Rams would be out of time outs with barely any time left. But no, Payton has to get cute and pass the ball - hello Dan Quinn. Also, getting burned by a fake punt when McVay loves to call fakes.He ran one against us earlier in the year. That gave them new life. I knew that was coming, how the hell does Payton let that happen? How does he let The Vikings pull off that win last year? How does he lest Vernon Davis burn us for that huge play a few years back? I know SP is the best thing that ever happened to the Saints, but we seem to be on more than our fair share of epic losses under him.
Sean Payton called a high percentage pass play for a HOF QB to his stud WR, it was open and Brees made a very rare poor throw. Payton can’t be blamed for trusting his QB.

The Rams would have had a minute left with no timeouts to get a FG if the Saints run it 3 times and take the FG.
To end the 1st half LA went 81 yards for a TD with 1 Timeout and it took 1:29.
In the AFC Championship game the Chiefs went 48 yards in 24 seconds with 1 timeout to get a FG and send it to OT.
Just before that Brady took the Pats 65 yards in 1:18 for a TD to take the lead. I think they might have used 1 timeout. Point being, you’re wrong if you think being aggressive was not smart.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

visualmagic wrote:
TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
TUPF wrote:Of course my favorite team is the Eagles, who overachieved last season and put a scare into the Saints last weekend. With the Eagles out, now it’s the Saints.

Hey TUPF, if you actually like the Saints, can you stop starting “Go Saints!” threads before they play games you want them to win?
You did the same thing before the cowboys game they lost. http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51754
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. At least I didn’t use a faux Cajun spelling. :oops:
:twisted: too late. You’re worse than whoever it is that starts the ju-ju threads in my book
Are you seriously trolling me from two months ago? KMA.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

Are you seriously trolling me from two months ago? KMA.
Jesus Christ, it’s obviously a joke
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote:
Man in Green wrote:Horrible call aside, it should never have come down to that. Saints had the ball in easy FG range. All Payton had to do is call 3 running plays and kick the FG. The Rams would be out of time outs with barely any time left. But no, Payton has to get cute and pass the ball - hello Dan Quinn. Also, getting burned by a fake punt when McVay loves to call fakes.He ran one against us earlier in the year. That gave them new life. I knew that was coming, how the hell does Payton let that happen? How does he let The Vikings pull off that win last year? How does he lest Vernon Davis burn us for that huge play a few years back? I know SP is the best thing that ever happened to the Saints, but we seem to be on more than our fair share of epic losses under him.
Sean Payton called a high percentage pass play for a HOF QB to his stud WR, it was open and Brees made a very rare poor throw. Payton can’t be blamed for trusting his QB.
The call was actually a run and was checked to a pass when the Rams came out in zero coverage
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
The call was actually a run and was checked to a pass when the Rams came out in zero coverage
Regardless, I stand by my opinion that being aggressive there is not a bad idea.