4* Elijah Wood commits to Tulane (MBB)

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: 4* Elijah Wood commits to Tulane (MBB)

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

clearly if he was it wasn't working. His improvement under MD was dramatic, maybe a happy coincidence, my guess is not having seen very little player development under Conroy.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Perhaps GB used his personal observation from going to all the Tulane home games. He believes what he sees.

Similar to Melvin's improvement, we could say the same about Reynolds, Smith even Blake Paul if he keeps up what he has done the last three games. Daniels was initially recruited as a PWO and now looks like the best player on the team. There is no doubt Dunleavy coaches individual players up.

The issue is what the team is doing (or literally not doing) which I think most of us would agree is his main job requirement. It is that disconnect to produce both NBA talent and galactically bad teams that is both astounding and dumbfounding.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:Perhaps GB used his personal observation from going to all the Tulane home games. He believes what he sees.

Similar to Melvin's improvement, we could say the same about Reynolds, Smith even Blake Paul if he keeps up what he has done the last three games. Daniels was initially recruited as a PWO and now looks like the best player on the team. There is no doubt Dunleavy coaches individual players up.

The issue is what the team is doing (or literally not doing) which I think most of us would agree is his main job requirement. It is that disconnect to produce both NBA talent and galactically bad teams that is both astounding and dumbfounding.
Perhaps going to all Tulane home games gives you no indication of what players are or are not working on in practice, over the summer, etc.? Perhaps we should be crediting the best player we've had in x years for improving his game instead of calling him lazy?

Most players will improve over the course of their college careers, so I don't think we need to go overboard giving coaches credit here. If there's no doubt about Dunleavy coaching individual players up, please explain Cornish.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Tulane recruited Elijah Wood since he was in Ninth grade. Asst Coach Doug Stewart apparently put a lot of time into this process. I think there are more good things to come. With Ono Embo, Walker and Daniels in the backcourt next year, expect Tulane's next recruit to be a low post player.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Unread post by angrywavedad »

doc wrote:Tulane recruited Elijah Wood since he was in Ninth grade. Asst Coach Doug Stewart apparently put a lot of time into this process. I think there are more good things to come. With Ono Embo, Walker and Daniels in the backcourt next year, expect Tulane's next recruit to be a low post player.
Wish I knew more about the assistants' role with this team. Both Stewart and Chiles have good reputations in east coast basketball circles. Chiles played at Columbia, was a factor in St. Johns' renaissance and was an assistant at Drexel during one of their better periods. Stewart is a Philly guy who was at a strong Nevada program and spent a number of years helping Craig Robinson improve Oregon State from Tulane levels of failure to a level of competent mediocrity in the Pac-10 that we would welcome (at least for a while). It would seem like they know good basketball from the dreck we've been getting and neither seems to have prior history with MD, so the whole thing confuses me.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

Looks like the ranking bias holds up in hoops just like football

https://twitter.com/the301elijah/status ... 50208?s=21
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Donny Z wrote:Looks like the ranking bias holds up in hoops just like football

https://twitter.com/the301elijah/status ... 50208?s=21
Just saw his tweet and was coming to post the same thing.

He dropped 28 spots in the rankings since committing to Tulane. Even if the inevitable of not winning another game happens it shouldn’t change his ranking. Shows the laziness there is in evaluating players.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

I mean he obviously would have committed to a better school if a better school wanted him, which they clearly didn't because he's not as good as they thought he was. Obviously.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone