Quarterbacks - We Need You

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Quarterbacks - We Need You

Post by Baywave1 »

gerryb323 wrote:Shane Buechele leaving Texas as grad transfer and with 2 seasons of eligibility.
He doesn't graduate until May so he has four months to be romanced.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Baywave1 wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Shane Buechele leaving Texas as grad transfer and with 2 seasons of eligibility.
He doesn't graduate until May so he has four months to be romanced.
I would take him in a heartbeat, although I don't think we are on his list.
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

gerryb323 wrote:
MattK wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Hurts has visited Maryland. Miami up next.
Going to Oklahoma
And OU backup Austin Kendall will be a grad transfer at West Virginia. After initially denying immediate eligibility and being roasted for it, OU has relented and he'll be eligible in the fall.

Tate Martell, late of Ohio State, has chosen Miami. DeAndre Francois is staying at FSU, which will lead backup James Blackman to look into transferring. We should have a QB carousel thread!
Blackman will reportedly stay at FSU
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Times change.
More players transfer these days; QB makes the most sense for a transfer because only 1 can play.
Savvy use of the QB transfer market might be the better use of resources than signing multiple high school QBs.
The transfer market in general, especially the grad transfer market, should be a market in which Tulane has an edge over most of our competition.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Obviously the problem with grad transfers vs. traditional is they almost always are a one year deal.

But I agree, we have an advantage in grad transfers as typically those folks actually care about academics.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:But I agree, we have an advantage in grad transfers as typically those folks actually care about academics.
Your welcome
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

GSx wrote:Times change.
More players transfer these days; QB makes the most sense for a transfer because only 1 can play.
Savvy use of the QB transfer market might be the better use of resources than signing multiple high school QBs.
The transfer market in general, especially the grad transfer market, should be a market in which Tulane has an edge over most of our competition.
We don't have any edge there. They want to find another P5 to go to. If you are referring to education giving us an edge again it doesn't as they are just looking for another place to play just like when they came out of HS. Sorry but it's just silly to think this is the route to go over recruiting freshman at this position. Hopefully Hall will help change our fortunes.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote:
We don't have any edge there. They want to find another P5 to go to. If you are referring to education giving us an edge again it doesn't as they are just looking for another place to play just like when they came out of HS. Sorry but it's just silly to think this is the route to go over recruiting freshman at this position. Hopefully Hall will help change our fortunes.
Agree
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

wavedom wrote:
My comments on grad transfer market were not exclusive to QB...and, indeed, we do have edge there over our competition on a lot of those players.
As for QB - when's the last time we signed a 4 star QB. Shaun King?
The only other good high school QBs we signed since King? Ramsey and Griffin. How many QBs did we roll through the roster only to get those 2? Sure we should sign them, but without reaching and with using the transfer market (which is hardly exclusive to grad transfers) at least equally.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Gsx, Here is another one from the transfer market: Losman was a Parade All American. Certainly he was 4 star if not a 5 star under today's criteria.

As many have noted, the best potential boost for Fritz's QB recruiting is for McMillan to have a blowout season. No marketing works bettter than success be it going for HS recruits or transfers.

Meanwhile OU seems to be doing ok with its transfer QB pipeline.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Problem is we aren’t Oklahoma.

The best two QB’s in the AAC, Milton and King, signed as high school players with their respective schools.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

GSx wrote:
wavedom wrote:
My comments on grad transfer market were not exclusive to QB...and, indeed, we do have edge there over our competition on a lot of those players.
The only other good high school QBs we signed since King? Ramsey and Griffin. How many QBs did we roll through the roster only to get those 2? Sure we should sign them, but without reaching and with using the transfer market (which is hardly exclusive to grad transfers) at least equally.
Please tell us what you think that edge is?

I never said we had to sign a 4 star. I said sign three stars and then coach them up and put them in a good system. Drew Brees had his successor drafted in San Diego. Got with Payton and put in the right system and went from almost being a career back up to being a surefire first ballot HALL OF FAMER. Tulane's pathetic past can't be your guide. Have expectations. It's important. Go get good freshman QB's. Hall needs to be the man.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

QB Pat Matocha has commited to Miami
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

That didn’t take very long. Kids see P5 and it’s over in most cases. I feel for our coaches. This P5 applies to about 25 schools. This BS that espn has created is a monster that sucks.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

wavedom wrote:
GSx wrote:
wavedom wrote:
I think GSx is correct. Tulane has an edge in the transfer market, particularly the Graduate transfer market. Why? First off, the talented players (most are in P5 programs currently) who do not start for a P5 are looking to play immediately and they most typically transfer DOWN to a lesser P5 or to a G5 (I hate the terms but I use them here for simplicity's sake). Howard is the exception, not the rule. Because Tulane has excellent grad schools and a great academic reputation makes the combination a very desirable one, better than say, Pitt. But of course it depends on the position of the player and the condition of the program, the depth at that position, etc. No denying there are several factors, but a well-recruited LB or RB out of high school who is not playing and has been told he will never be "the man" at his current location would look at a Tulane in a heartbeat, for no other reason than his ego would tell him he could play here immediately. See Corey Dauphine.

Again, as noted in another thread, I think the penalty of not signing a top-notch HS QB is not a severe as it once was because of the transfer market. I agree with GSx again in that it is smart of us to concentrate on BOTH recruiting avenues, particularly for the QB position. Funny, it seems that the two most successful positions for transfer have been QB and OL, for whatever reasons.

On edit, if we look at McMillan's case, he chose Tulane because he couldn't get a release from LSU to a team in the SEC or who was on LSU's schedule. Another reason why a top-notch recruit, not playing at a P5, would choose a Tulane, albeit a minor reason. We only have to worry about two P5's a season. It also helps that we have a relatively stable and competent coaching staff.

Not speaking for GSx, just that I agree with him and these are my reasons why.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

The point is Fritz is clearly working both HS and transfer QB market. He is also recruiting both local NOLA area as well as other (generally neighboring) areas for all players. In any business you have to have multiple sales channels for long-term success because in near term you do not know which will be most fruitful. Meanwhile none are mutually exclusive and process can appear untidy to outside observers without inside knowledge.

In Fritz's case at moment, transfer QBs and out of state players are dominating his successful signees. It could be the exact opposite next time or a more balanced mixture.

I don't care as long as what he does works. At least from my view, he is succeeding.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

That anyone would think a graduate program is attracting us talented football players is hilarious.
Last edited by gerryb323 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:That anyone would think a graduate program is attracting is talented football players is hilarious.
Generalize much? Go look up Knighton, Hunter. Maybe it only works for OL, but I would not sit there and say it does not happen. I believe it to be a factor in a list of factors. We agree to disagree and maybe I've hanging around college baseball players too much.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

gerryb323 wrote:That anyone would think a graduate program is attracting is talented football players is hilarious.
so you're telling me it wasn't the allure of the Ole Miss Parks and Recreation department that attracted Jeremiah Masoli as a grad transfer?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
so you're telling me it wasn't the allure of the Ole Miss Parks and Recreation department that attracted Jeremiah Masoli as a grad transfer?
I had one too many "is" in there.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

gerryb323 wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
I had one too many "is" in there.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote:
Generalize much? Go look up Knighton, Hunter. Maybe it only works for OL, but I would not sit there and say it does not happen. I believe it to be a factor in a list of factors. We agree to disagree and maybe I've hanging around college baseball players too much.
Would Knighton have chosen Tulane if Alabama had offered? I'd say the kind of grad transfer we need/want is choosing based on football reasons. Sure there are exceptions.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I guess you're going to keep laughing a long time because there are folks who paper up as they both start and continue their college careers. Why is Fritz playing the "40 year investment" card? Because he needs some yucks? To trick parents?

Let's consider the alternative, if as you laugh, it is only about playing and athletic opportunity. Then why doesn't every pro prospect do what Simmons did at LSU and quite school the day after the final game? Some do and many don't. For some talented athletes, academics plays a role in where they go and some it doesn't. No doubt it is hilarious when they do. What fools.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Rotorooter wrote:
wavedom wrote:
GSx wrote:
wavedom wrote:
I think GSx is correct. Tulane has an edge in the transfer market, particularly the Graduate transfer market. Why? First off, the talented players (most are in P5 programs currently) who do not start for a P5 are looking to play immediately and they most typically transfer DOWN to a lesser P5 or to a G5 (I hate the terms but I use them here for simplicity's sake). Howard is the exception, not the rule. Because Tulane has excellent grad schools and a great academic reputation makes the combination a very desirable one, better than say, Pitt. But of course it depends on the position of the player and the condition of the program, the depth at that position, etc. No denying there are several factors, but a well-recruited LB or RB out of high school who is not playing and has been told he will never be "the man" at his current location would look at a Tulane in a heartbeat, for no other reason than his ego would tell him he could play here immediately. See Corey Dauphine.

Again, as noted in another thread, I think the penalty of not signing a top-notch HS QB is not a severe as it once was because of the transfer market. I agree with GSx again in that it is smart of us to concentrate on BOTH recruiting avenues, particularly for the QB position. Funny, it seems that the two most successful positions for transfer have been QB and OL, for whatever reasons.

On edit, if we look at McMillan's case, he chose Tulane because he couldn't get a release from LSU to a team in the SEC or who was on LSU's schedule. Another reason why a top-notch recruit, not playing at a P5, would choose a Tulane, albeit a minor reason. We only have to worry about two P5's a season. It also helps that we have a relatively stable and competent coaching staff.

Not speaking for GSx, just that I agree with him and these are my reasons why.
Sorry but academics isn't carrying the day in most of these players decision making process. It is playing time and playing at a P5. Also no one has said we shouldn't be trying both avenues in recruiting. What we are refuting is those saying we don't need to worry anymore about signing freshman QB's.

As for the graduate transfer QB's we've gotten one decent one so far. Not exactly racking them up. As for all other positions it is not happening at any great rate either. Tulane is still pretty much a last resort.

As to McMillan that rule has changed since he left LSU.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Rotorooter wrote:
Knighton was a back up here for the most part.