Super Bowl and Boycott Bowl

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Super Bowl and Boycott Bowl

Post by PeteRasche »

I hope y'all New Orleanians actually skipped it and did something fun. That will probably go down as one of the worst Super Bowls ever. Unless you're REALLY into punting.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Super Bowl and Boycott Bowl

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

My son came up and told us of the final score; did not watch a single down. Did office work instead.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

My wife and I watched a Netflix movie, The Guernsey Quartet, a really funny English movie, instead. Enjoyed it much more than the Super Bowl.

On edit, that is not the name of the movie. I misspoke, as the politicians say. I will find out the name and re-enter it.
Last edited by Cheerleader on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I was not sports-free. I watched the last round of the Phoenix open, which has to be the rowdiest golf tournament there is. The 16th hole as a stadium built around it; the fans are loud and cheering throughout the play. No "hushed silence" seen on that hole. There were reports that the sound at that hole will reach as much as 97+ decibels. Quite a difference to the 16th at Augusta, which is one of the most beautiful golf holes I have ever seen (along with the 12th and 13 in "Amen corner.")
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

I didn't boycott it, I just didn't watch it.
Victory is never permanent
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

AO Sig wrote:I was not sports-free. I watched the last round of the Phoenix open, which has to be the rowdiest golf tournament there is. The 16th hole as a stadium built around it; the fans are loud and cheering throughout the play. No "hushed silence" seen on that hole. There were reports that the sound at that hole will reach as much as 97+ decibels. Quite a difference to the 16th at Augusta, which is one of the most beautiful golf holes I have ever seen (along with the 12th and 13 in "Amen corner.")
Can't believe he still pulled it out after the 7 he shot. Celtics-Thunder was also quite good for a regular season NBA game
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Watched Ferdinand with the kids. Much more exciting. I'm sure both of the fans in Los Angeles are disappointed.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Early numbers suggest a 10 year low in viewership last night of the Illegitimate bowl. Looks like a lot of sports fans agreed. So much for expectations that the second largest media market in the U.S getting into the Stupor Bowl will boost ratings....
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GretnaGrn wrote:Watched Ferdinand with the kids. Much more exciting. I'm sure both of the fans in Los Angeles are disappointed.

it's funny, the Rams on offense were having to play with a lot of noise from the Pats fans.. when the Pats were on offense, Brady had no problem communicating... even Romo was commenting on the audibles.. "did he just say 'Reagan?'.... I guess 'Reagan' means 'run to the right'"

We watched the game.. wife, daughter and I for a couple of reasons.. despite me still being pissed over the call two weeks ago. First of all, we always do a Super Bowl food thing regardless of who's playing.. this year it was Vidalia Onion Dip, Crab Artichoke Spinach Dip, and nachos. Second, both my wife and I like to see the commercials (all of them stunk except the Game of Thrones attack on the annoying dilly dilly Bud light ad).
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

AO Sig wrote:Early numbers suggest a 10 year low in viewership last night of the Illegitimate bowl. Looks like a lot of sports fans agreed. So much for expectations that the second largest media market in the U.S getting into the Stupor Bowl will boost ratings....
props to the folks in New Orleans who backed up their threat to boycott... lowest rating in New Orleans for a SB, ever... just 18 rating points below the national average and less than half the rating in Boston
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Johnny Mac wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:Watched Ferdinand with the kids. Much more exciting. I'm sure both of the fans in Los Angeles are disappointed.

it's funny, the Rams on offense were having to play with a lot of noise from the Pats fans.. when the Pats were on offense, Brady had no problem communicating... even Romo was commenting on the audibles.. "did he just say 'Reagan?'.... I guess 'Reagan' means 'run to the right'"

We watched the game.. wife, daughter and I for a couple of reasons.. despite me still being pissed over the call two weeks ago. First of all, we always do a Super Bowl food thing regardless of who's playing.. this year it was Vidalia Onion Dip, Crab Artichoke Spinach Dip, and nachos. Second, both my wife and I like to see the commercials (all of them stunk except the Game of Thrones attack on the annoying dilly dilly Bud light ad).
Oh, we still made party food. Bacon wrapped chicken bites, stuffed mushrooms, fried eggplant dippers, king cake. We figured any decent ads would be watchable after the fact, anyway.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I laughed at the Jason Bateman Hyundai commercial (down elevator) and loved the halftime NFL 100th anniversary commercial. If you can stomach seeing Roger Goodell, I'd recommend every football fan watch that one.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:I laughed at the Jason Bateman Hyundai commercial (down elevator) and loved the halftime NFL 100th anniversary commercial. If you can stomach seeing Roger Goodell, I'd recommend every football fan watch that one.
I watched the entire game and all the commercials. That 100th anniversary commercial was the best thing of the day and it wasn’t close. The game was a pillow fight.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

Didn't watch. Didn't care. Pro football to me is now like pro wrestling. Didn't know (or care) who "won" until I heard someone say in the elevator this morning that they read on the internet that New England got the trophy in a yawn fest.

Will not watch the NFL again (including Saints games) unless integrity is installed into the rules and actually enforced. Not worth the time.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Frankly, I am surprised that the term "Stupor Bowl" has not been used; based on what I have read, that would be the most appropriate description of the game, and usually there are some clever newscasters out there who like to come up with things like that.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Really wasn't that bad of a game. I think the score leads everyone to conclude so. The Rams had chances, but Pats had a marvelous defensive gameplan.

I don't know why every game has to be 54-51 these days to be considered good.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doncecco wrote:Really wasn't that bad of a game. I think the score leads everyone to conclude so. The Rams had chances, but Pats had a marvelous defensive gameplan.
Says the guy who lives in New England... :lol:
Nobody needed it to be in the 50s. But watching two teams exchange punts is like having teeth pulled. It's pretty much unanimous amongst everyone except Pats fans that the game was horribly boring.

If you enjoyed watching the Pats gameplan shut down the Rams, did you enjoy the Pats being kept from scoring as well? And, hey, the new record for longest punt in a Super Bowl... woo hoo!
Last edited by PeteRasche on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

At least the game was not decided to the very end. I would much rather watch that than watching New England dismantle San Diego in the first quarter.

You can add Tulane losing 42-6 at halftime at Ohio State. Wonder what you would have thought of a 13-3 Ohio State victory over our Greenies with 14 punts and a 65 yarder by Zach Block.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote:At least the game was not decided to the very end. I would much rather watch that than watching New England dismantle San Diego in the first quarter.

You can add Tulane losing 42-6 at halftime at Ohio State. Wonder what you would have thought of a 13-3 Ohio State victory over our Greenies with 14 punts and a 65 yarder by Zach Block.
:shock: I'd have thought there must have been at least 40 yards on the roll.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:Wonder what you would have thought of a 13-3 Ohio State victory over our Greenies with 14 punts and a 65 yarder by Zach Block.
I honestly can't tell if you were directing this at doncecco or me so I don't know if this is supporting what you said or opposing it... but I would argue that a 13-3 Tulane/Ohio State game would have been immensely more entertaining, because not just every single Wave fan, but pretty much all of college football, would have clicked over by the 4th quarter to see if we could pull the upset. Everyone but Buckeye fans would have been screaming at the TV on every play for Tulane to score or stop OSU. On the other hand, the Super Bowl was supposed to be a close game, neither team was immensely favored, and there was legit argument that either team could win. Pretty much every "expert" (ha) expected a high-scoring affair. Instead we got the opposite... yeah, the final three minutes were slightly compelling because it was still within reach for the Rams and you could convince yourself to wake up and root for the comeback. But at that point, half of America had likely fallen asleep after three boring quarters in nearly 4 hours, coupled with a lackluster bunch of commercials and terrible halftime show. The simple fact that Tulane had held OSU to a dozen punts would have actually been compelling to America. I fully admit that's a double standard, but I think it's pretty true. Most people love watching the Pats lose but no team good enough to make the Super Bowl is truly pulling a huge upset in doing it (every NFL team has immense talent). But virtually everyone would've enjoyed watching Urban Meyer (fresh off his suspension) and "mighty" Ohio State get threatened by little ol' Tulane.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Wonder what you would have thought of a 13-3 Ohio State victory over our Greenies with 14 punts and a 65 yarder by Zach Block.
I honestly can't tell if you were directing this at doncecco or me so I don't know if this is supporting what you said or opposing it... but I would argue that a 13-3 Tulane/Ohio State game would have been immensely more entertaining, because not just every single Wave fan, but pretty much all of college football, would have clicked over by the 4th quarter to see if we could pull the upset. Everyone but Buckeye fans would have been screaming at the TV on every play for Tulane to score or stop OSU. On the other hand, the Super Bowl was supposed to be a close game, neither team was immensely favored, and there was legit argument that either team could win. Pretty much every "expert" (ha) expected a high-scoring affair. Instead we got the opposite... yeah, the final three minutes were slightly compelling because it was still within reach for the Rams and you could convince yourself to wake up and root for the comeback. But at that point, half of America had likely fallen asleep after three boring quarters in nearly 4 hours, coupled with a lackluster bunch of commercials and terrible halftime show. The simple fact that Tulane had held OSU to a dozen punts would have actually been compelling to America. I fully admit that's a double standard, but I think it's pretty true. Most people love watching the Pats lose but no team good enough to make the Super Bowl is truly pulling a huge upset in doing it (every NFL team has immense talent). But virtually everyone would've enjoyed watching Urban Meyer (fresh off his suspension) and "mighty" Ohio State get threatened by little ol' Tulane.
Well, Tulane was actually supposed to play OSU, so there's that. the Rams were "good enough" to make the "Super Bowl," I guess.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

ml wave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:At least the game was not decided to the very end. I would much rather watch that than watching New England dismantle San Diego in the first quarter.

ML, laughed so loud when I read your response. Great one liner!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote:
ml wave wrote:

ML, laughed so loud when I read your response. Great one liner!
:wink: