It is Signing Day, right?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: It is Signing Day, right?

Post by GreenieBacker »

So...........is that it? Are we done?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

GreenieBacker wrote:So...........is that it? Are we done?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

:lol:

"Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is....."
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’ve lost count with the transfers so how many slots have we filled for the class? And how many total spots do we have left on the roster?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

This has been a confusing year.

So is it fair to say that we have 23 "signed". One more possible D-Lineman from North Carolina might sign.

and an unknown quarterback transfer to be named in late August?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

“5*” LS Enzo Anthony the #1 long snapper in Florida announced he signed today. Was he in the early period and just reiterating it? He committed back in October.
Tulane Greenbackers

Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Very nice job at signing party. Free food and drink. Professional.
Nice class.
Fritz gets it. Pressed the flesh. Answered lots of questions. Promoted ladies BBall.
Had several of the early enrollees present and made a point to introduce them and bring them up to the front.
LB Anderson looked the part.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

waverider wrote:“5*” LS Enzo Anthony the #1 long snapper in Florida announced he signed today. Was he in the early period and just reiterating it? He committed back in October.
PWO? Twitter shows him "signing" today though at what looks like a school ceremony. Regardless of how he's playing football, welcome to the Wave.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

1401973 wrote:Very nice job at signing party. Free food and drink. Professional.
Nice class.
Fritz gets it. Pressed the flesh. Answered lots of questions. Promoted ladies BBall.
Had several of the early enrollees present and made a point to introduce them and bring them up to the front.
LB Anderson looked the part.
Keon Howard was there, too. Coach Fritz talked him up at length. He is very solidly built.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Coach mentioned 2 spots are open. Officially, he can’t comment on any specific person, but there is another person (grad transfer) that could come here, but until he graduates, and enrolls, it is not definite.

He also mentioned they went after a couple of QB’s, but didn’t get them. He mentioned kids want playing time now, and if they don’t get playing time, it is frustrating for both the player and coach. Was happy with the current QB situation with McMillan, Howard, and Ledford.

Lastly, he said due to the number of scholarships he’s given out the last few years, he will have a limited class next year, and he is ok with holding those 2 scholarships for next year.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Prediction: Howard is our starting qb by mid season if not warlier
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Guerry Smith's take:

On signing day, Tulane grabs just one more player only — but Willie Fritz says it's no problem

The Wave’s mediocre recruiting ranking in the American Athletic Conference — it was listed eighth out of 12 teams by both Rivals.com and 247Sports.com by Wednesday evening — does not reflect the value of graduate transfers Jalen McCleskey of Oklahoma State, Christian Montano of Brown and Ben Knutson, who said Monday he would enroll when he graduated from Virginia in May.

unlike our previous HC's, WF has earned our trust that this class is helping us head in the right direction, but for amateur watchers like me its a bit of a letdown given what an amazing class he had last year
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

GreenieBacker wrote:Guerry Smith's take:

On signing day, Tulane grabs just one more player only — but Willie Fritz says it's no problem

The Wave’s mediocre recruiting ranking in the American Athletic Conference — it was listed eighth out of 12 teams by both Rivals.com and 247Sports.com by Wednesday evening — does not reflect the value of graduate transfers Jalen McCleskey of Oklahoma State, Christian Montano of Brown and Ben Knutson, who said Monday he would enroll when he graduated from Virginia in May.

unlike our previous HC's, WF has earned our trust that this class is helping us head in the right direction, but for amateur watchers like me its a bit of a letdown given what an amazing class he had last year
I don't think it's entirely "trust me," though. The transfers not counting (and the JUCO LB doesn't count, either) is a real thing and they're arguably the most talented group in this class.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

WaveProf wrote:Prediction: Howard is our starting qb by mid season if not warlier
I’ll take that bet. I don’t think Justin will a have a lost offseason like Banks. He’ll improve and it’s already his team. They will “force” Howard in a few times, imo.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

noladave wrote:Coach mentioned 2 spots are open. Officially, he can’t comment on any specific person, but there is another person (grad transfer) that could come here, but until he graduates, and enrolls, it is not definite.

He also mentioned they went after a couple of QB’s, but didn’t get them. He mentioned kids want playing time now, and if they don’t get playing time, it is frustrating for both the player and coach. Was happy with the current QB situation with McMillan, Howard, and Ledford.

Lastly, he said due to the number of scholarships he’s given out the last few years, he will have a limited class next year, and he is ok with holding those 2 scholarships for next year.
The guy he can’t mention is the UVA guy, but I figure you know that.

As for next year’s small class, if we had filled up with HS guys yesterday we’d have gone into next year with 18 slots open. Normal attrition will get you into the low twenties easily.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Prediction: Howard is our starting qb by mid season if not warlier
I’ll take that bet. I don’t think Justin will a have a lost offseason like Banks. He’ll improve and it’s already his team. They will “force” Howard in a few times, imo.
Same here. I don't why you think Howard will beat out McMillan other than an opinion. McMillan got better with each snap and is a known commodity. If Howard beats him out, he'll have to be a superstar.

I do agree that Howard will get possessions during each game to see what he will do, kind of what ULL did in the Cure Bowl with their second-stringer. If he even comes close to JM's performance, it'll be the first time we've had depth at QB since Ramsey/Losman. May it be so.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

What's the wager?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I think McMillan stays the starter for the season. It wouldn't take a superstar to overtake him though. He hasn't played well against a good defense yet. Fortunately we don't play many good defenses. He should be better with last years experience and a full off season of work The new OC?QB coach will make a difference for him too.
We deserve so much better
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

McMillan is a little reckless running with the ball. He takes chances that have worked out so far. But he has taken some pops.
One wrong hit and Howard is in....and of course as we all know depending on how Howard performs he may stay in.

If McM remains healthy and learns to take a few less hard hits he is and will remain our starter. Smart, protects the ball (4 ints), good escapability, 15 (on edit) touchdowns and 1500 yards in 1/2 a year, 5-1 as a starter. And when the game is on the line he plays his best.

Look I hope the competition is fierce in the spring and fall and the call is close. But I am in the Rotorooter camp here. Howard will have to be really something or McM crater.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Either JM or his Dad told Guerry Smith that he ran a 4.5/40. From high school on, he intentionally sought out non-option systems. Tulane is the first one he has played in since perhaps grammar school. If that speed is legit, we may very well see the "preferred" Fritz offense as refined by Hall. If he stays healthy and adds a little touch to his typical fastball, he could have a breakout season. If not, I'm comfortable that Howard will meet team's needs and our expectations.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:Either JM or his Dad told Guerry Smith that he ran a 4.5/40. From high school on, he intentionally sought out non-option systems. Tulane is the first one he has played in since perhaps grammar school. If that speed is legit, we may very well see the "preferred" Fritz offense as refined by Hall. If he stays healthy and adds a little touch to his typical fastball, he could have a breakout season. If not, I'm comfortable that Howard will meet team's needs and our expectations.
The reason, if I recall, was that his dad didn’t think he’d be taken serious as a QB if he was labeled as a “runner”. The interview I’m thinking of was JM and I believe one of the lines he used was something like “I’m actually a good runner, I just haven’t really shown it much (until coming to Tulane)”.

Regarding Howard, even USM fans felt like we were getting a really good one. His issue was with fumbles and seeing that Fritz is a stickler for ball security, he should have that problem resolved. It wouldn’t be the first time Fritz used 2 QBs during a season.

Ideally, we build big enough leads each game so we get to see these QBs’ backup!
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Either JM or his Dad told Guerry Smith that he ran a 4.5/40. From high school on, he intentionally sought out non-option systems. Tulane is the first one he has played in since perhaps grammar school. If that speed is legit, we may very well see the "preferred" Fritz offense as refined by Hall. If he stays healthy and adds a little touch to his typical fastball, he could have a breakout season. If not, I'm comfortable that Howard will meet team's needs and our expectations.
The reason, if I recall, was that his dad didn’t think he’d be taken serious as a QB if he was labeled as a “runner”. The interview I’m thinking of was JM and I believe one of the lines he used was something like “I’m actually a good runner, I just haven’t really shown it much (until coming to Tulane)”.

Regarding Howard, even USM fans felt like we were getting a really good one. His issue was with fumbles and seeing that Fritz is a stickler for ball security, he should have that problem resolved. It wouldn’t be the first time Fritz used 2 QBs during a season.

Ideally, we build big enough leads each game so we get to see these QBs’ backup!
Your memory is correct. He did say that about the advice from his father.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

He seems like he has good enough straight line speed, but not the quickness/shiftiness that you'd want in a true option guy. Of course, read option is different than the traditional down the line (triple) option.
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

The 2011 season, Ryan Griffin's JR year, was the last time the same qb started every game for Tulane. So it's not a crazy bet to think that Howard could be starting mid-season.

Howard is listed as a senior on the website. Does that mean this is his last year of eligibility? Are you not able to use a redshirt the year you sit out? (Sorry if I missed this somewhere else)
Last edited by Johnny4 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It’s a misprint. Howard’s true freshman year at USM was 2016. In fact, Fritz and staff found Thakarius Keyes while recruiting Howard. He never redshirted at USM, so his sitting out this past season is his redshirt.

On edit: there are many such oversights on the current roster. I wouldn’t use it to settle any arguments for a while.