2019 Conference Football Schedule

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: 2019 Conference Football Schedule

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
long green wrote:What key losses up front? Everyone is back and should be a year better. I think Davon Wright is going to explode. At linebacker we’re already well on the way to filling in for Zach Harris.
I was thinking of Kennedy and Harris. Kennedy's loss will affect depth, and filling Harris' role is undetermined, yet promising. Not saying it's impossible to replace them, but we lose experience and the replacement is unknown. BTW, I love Johnson and Sample in the middle, but we'll need depth, especially in the early heat.
Johnson, Williams (started more games than Kennedy), Wright, Thomas, Jamiran James coming off a redshirt, Sample, a few squad guys and two possible true freshmen. We are more experienced going into this season than any year since the loaded 2013 DL.
OK, OK, I'll quit worrying. :lol:

I really like building a team from the "inside out," meaning get solid on the lines first and that will enable the skill players to flourish. Worked for the NY Giants in the latter 2000's. I think it is the OL play, in general, that has held Tulane back in the recent past. Solid OLs and DLs make skill players better. I think that Fritz has done this without much fanfare. The transfer rules have really helped Tulane for the OL, and for some reason we have solid HS recruiting for DL since getting transfer Davenport in 2013.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I’ll worry too, when it’s time, whether or not I have a reason.

Good observation about the DL recruiting. We’ve had our misses of course, but we’ve found several good players and built a fair roster. We used to struggle more in recruiting there which is one of the reason I expect us to get back on track recruiting QB’s. Sometimes you struggle and then you don’t as much.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

long green wrote:
WaveProf wrote:I wouldn’t rate our chances against Houston very high under any circumstances, but getting them early in the season with a new HC on a short week when we have FCS the week before is about the best spot we could get.
Under any circumstances? Who do you think they are? I could understand that more if you were talking about UCF but Houston?
I didn't say we couldn't win under any circumstances. I said I wouldn't rate our chances super high. Houston took us to the woodshed with suspect head coaching. They just improved in coaching.

That said, their defense isnt going to fix itself over night. And we play them early on a short week.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

WaveProf wrote:
long green wrote:
WaveProf wrote:I wouldn’t rate our chances against Houston very high under any circumstances, but getting them early in the season with a new HC on a short week when we have FCS the week before is about the best spot we could get.
Under any circumstances? Who do you think they are? I could understand that more if you were talking about UCF but Houston?
I didn't say we couldn't win under any circumstances. I said I wouldn't rate our chances super high. Houston took us to the woodshed with suspect head coaching. They just improved in coaching.

That said, their defense isnt going to fix itself over night. And we play them early on a short week.
Kendall Briles isn't running their offense, either. Will King be back? Another thing for them to worry about. I don't fear UH, especially at home.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Unless Tulane changes things up from recent past, we will be playing UCF for homecoming, the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That means a lot of students will be gone (many skip classes Thanksgiving week and take the whole week off) at the same time that alumni come back... But being forced to have homecoming the week before the holiday (due to a bye and a road game) kinda stinks. Attendance by out-of-town alumni will likely be down due to traveling the following week for Thanksgiving. I wonder if they'll consider moving homecoming to 11/2... Though that's probably Voodoo Fest, right?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:Unless Tulane changes things up from recent past, we will be playing UCF for homecoming, the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That means a lot of students will be gone (many skip classes Thanksgiving week and take the whole week off) at the same time that alumni come back... But being forced to have homecoming the week before the holiday (due to a bye and a road game) kinda stinks. Attendance by out-of-town alumni will likely be down due to traveling the following week for Thanksgiving. I wonder if they'll consider moving homecoming to 11/2... Though that's probably Voodoo Fest, right?
Voodoo is the weekend before (10/25-10/27)
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote:Unless Tulane changes things up from recent past, we will be playing UCF for homecoming, the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That means a lot of students will be gone (many skip classes Thanksgiving week and take the whole week off) at the same time that alumni come back... But being forced to have homecoming the week before the holiday (due to a bye and a road game) kinda stinks. Attendance by out-of-town alumni will likely be down due to traveling the following week for Thanksgiving. I wonder if they'll consider moving homecoming to 11/2... Though that's probably Voodoo Fest, right?
UConn or Tulsa would be my bet. Probably UConn.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I’ll be shocked if homecoming is not Tulsa UCF second most likely but I really think Tulsa.

UConn is fall Break.

UCF is a tough team and the Saturday before thanksgiving.

They'll never have HC over fall break, campus would be empty (students gone and you can't really make faculty be there and its tougher to get staff to be there).

Weekend before Thanksgiving less bad, students rarely leave for the whole week (many do leave Tuesday or Wednesday). I mean some do, but not enough to be a deal breaker. But it's a big enough deal that add in that UCF is a tough team and add in that Tulsa is an option......
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

From a work-life-sport balance, I love the two bye weeks. Wish we didn't lose the weekend home game for a thursday against Houston (dont mind FIU being thursday because of kick off of season). Wish we had some weeknight away games---as much as I don't love weeknight home games, I actually prefer away games on weeknights. Frees up some weekends.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

WaveProf wrote:I’ll be shocked if homecoming is not Tulsa UCF second most likely but I really think Tulsa.

UConn is fall Break.

UCF is a tough team and the Saturday before thanksgiving.

They'll never have HC over fall break, campus would be empty (students gone and you can't really make faculty be there and its tougher to get staff to be there).

Weekend before Thanksgiving less bad, students rarely leave for the whole week (many do leave Tuesday or Wednesday). I mean some do, but not enough to be a deal breaker. But it's a big enough deal that add in that UCF is a tough team and add in that Tulsa is an option......
Like the students show up anyway...or faculty for that matter. Staff gets a fall break?

I agree that Tulsa is a likely candidate, but I have to believe UConn's would be a consideration...moreso than UCF.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Rotorooter wrote: Like the students show up anyway...or faculty for that matter. Staff gets a fall break?
Students show up for homecoming, especially on the quad. It's also useful for them to be in session thursday and friday when a lot of homecoming actitivies for alumni including interacting with students. Not to mention the many student workers who WORK homecoming events

Faculty are expected to work tents and booths on gameday of homecoming, and it requires a fair number of them to be there. Some of them go on to the game (far more than any other game of the year)

Staff don't get a "break", but a lot of them time vacation days around then because it's easier for them to be away (work wise) with the campus empty.

The logistics of hosting HC over fall break when it requires so much student/faculty/staff coordination would be a nightmare

HC is a crazily well oiled machine that requires a Herculean effort from almost every sector on a campus the size of Tulane's. It is an all hands ondeck kind of event
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I see 6 lean wins and 6 lean losses. But I think we are finally in a spot where we'll flip at least one more lean loss to win than we see lean win flipped to loss. So I'll predict 7 wins, and hope for 8 or 9 (not at all out of the question)
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:We really need to start off by beating. That will set the tone for the whole season IMO. Either we are playing catch up all year, like last year, or we are poised to have a serious breakthrough.

Many here are probably aware, but Tulane has only been to back to back bowls once in 1979-1980. We need to make it happen again to keep moving forward.
I don't know how many bowl games there were in '79 & '80, but it was surely less than the 39 we have in this day and age. So that was a substantial achievement 40 years ago. And while back-to-back bowls heading into the 3rd decade of the 21st century would be nice, you would probably need to stretch that to 4 consecutive years of TU bowl teams to have the same bang for your buck as you had back then.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

WaveProf wrote:I see 6 lean wins and 6 lean losses. But I think we are finally in a spot where we'll flip at least one more lean loss to win than we see lean win flipped to loss. So I'll predict 7 wins, and hope for 8 or 9 (not at all out of the question)
It is not always what you have in quality football players on your team, it is also what "game" you bring to the gridiron on game day. And bringing your "A" game for 12 football games is never in the cards for any team. And which games will you have that game? And which games you do have that game will it make a difference of winning and losing? No wonder the male of the species has a tendency to lose their hair as they grow older. :roll:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:We really need to start off by beating. That will set the tone for the whole season IMO. Either we are playing catch up all year, like last year, or we are poised to have a serious breakthrough.

Many here are probably aware, but Tulane has only been to back to back bowls once in 1979-1980. We need to make it happen again to keep moving forward.
I don't know how many bowl games there were in '79 & '80, but it was surely less than the 39 we have in this day and age. So that was a substantial achievement 40 years ago. And while back-to-back bowls heading into the 3rd decade of the 21st century would be nice, you would probably need to stretch that to 4 consecutive years of TU bowl teams to have the same bang for your buck as you had back then.

Fan since '54
All we can do is focus on one season at a time.

For HS recruiting, Fritz has mitigated the poor football brand of Tulane by offering a nice landing pad for transfers and grad transfers. Once we can get our feet under us (which I believe we have), we can augment the transfers with the improved HS recruiting we need once consistent winning occurs. To go over the top, next season is a make-or-break season for our recruiting. If we can pull off a 8 or 9 win season, improved HS recruiting will come quickly. Thank goodness we have the transfer market, it is a great equalizer of sorts that WF has used successfully to bring us to competitive within the AAC.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Everyone keeps saying I offered a bet. I made a prediction. I haven’t bet on a sporting event since 7th grade. And don’t plan to start now.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

BTW, I didn't see this posted anywhere, but the official schedule release video tweet was pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 44739?s=07

Shout out to one of our regulars here for the Temple game! :wink:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I might be able to make all three: Army, Navy, Temple. Definitely Navy and Temple.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:BTW, I didn't see this posted anywhere, but the official schedule release video tweet was pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 44739?s=07

Shout out to one of our regulars here for the Temple game! :wink:
I just found out about that shortly before you posted it.