Baseball starts Friday! Get your predictions in

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Baseball starts Friday! Get your predictions in

Post by BC Wave »

Just to be on the optimistic side:

32-24

Latham will help.

Experience and/or talent upgrade at every position, save cf, will help.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

GreenieBacker wrote:speaking of Latham don't know if this has been posted elsewhere. Good article on a key player

New pitching coach Daniel Latham hopes to steady Tulane staff

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 36c4c.html

“What we think is going to be our weekend rotation (Kaleb Roper, Keagan Gillies, Chase Solesky) and our top two bullpen arms are as good as anybody in our league or better,” Latham said. “I’m working hard to develop some depth behind those guys. The key to our season is staying healthy with our top-end guys and having four or five more guys emerge as key contributors.”
I think we'd all be in agreement in the assumption that Pellerin is one of those top 2 bullpen arms. Any idea who the second one is?

Big question is how many wins do we need to get into a Regional. We had 34 going into the BR Regional in 2015 and just barely made it in.
chitown4tu
Riptide Level

Post by chitown4tu »

Does Jewett keep his job with a break even season?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I think Jewett retains the job no matter what provided he doesn’t have a MD season (which he won’t).

The other bullpen arm I am presuming he is talking about is Trent Johnson. If Trent starts midweek games, then perhaps Cellucci. Regardless, every arm on the team will have an opportunity to prove themself.

Number of wins to get into a regional depends on team RPI, League RPI, how you are playing down the stretch, and some politics if you are one of the last four in.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tjtlja wrote:I think Jewett retains the job no matter what provided he doesn’t have a MD season (which he won’t).

The other bullpen arm I am presuming he is talking about is Trent Johnson. If Trent starts midweek games, then perhaps Cellucci. Regardless, every arm on the team will have an opportunity to prove themself.

Number of wins to get into a regional depends on team RPI, League RPI, how you are playing down the stretch, and some politics if you are one of the last four in.
I tend to agree.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Article on Daniel Latham in NOLA.com

Daniel Latham once put Tulane in a College World Series. Can he do it again?

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/02/dan ... again.html

edited by GB: please don't post copyrighted material it could get us in trouble. Thanks.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Post by fearthewave »

For those interested, Dave joined FTWCast this week and did a thorough breakdown of what he's seen in practice for our Tulane Baseball Preview:

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/s ... e-browning
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

In before Roller says 56-0
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

34-22, Regional 3 seed.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Wavefam985
Trainer

Post by Wavefam985 »

32-24 - better than last year by a good bit but left out of regional. Finish 5th in conference behind ECU, Houston, UConn and UCF. Roper, Hoese, Ty Johnson and Pellerin receive conference awards. I think we take a step in the right direction but not quite good enough to make a regional - I hope I'm wrong.

Projected Starters:
P - (Weekend) Roper, Gilles, Solesky; (Mid-week) Bates and Celluci (he will be a pen guy as well); (Closer) Pellerin with Trent Johnson as a setup guy. We will see a ton of Campbell, Price and Green as well.
1B - Jensen (Bedgood backup)
2b - Artiques
SS - Gozzo (Burns or Hoese)
3b - Hoese (Bedgood)
DH - (LH)Bedgood; Glancy; (RH)Sepcich; Power; Niemann
LF - Matthews (Sepcich\Haskins)
CF - K. Owen if healthy (Ty Johnson)
RF - Ty Johnson (Sepcich)
C - A. Owen (McKeithen will have plenty of chances)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Is the game on TV?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

If by TV you mean all-access, then yes. If you mean actual TV, it’s a college baseball game between Tulane and George Washington, of course it’s not on TV.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Why were some of the post removed? There were no rules broken. Just someone being called out for being a donkey. That should be allowed.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Wavefam985 wrote:32-24 - better than last year by a good bit but left out of regional. Finish 5th in conference behind ECU, Houston, UConn and UCF. Roper, Hoese, Ty Johnson and Pellerin receive conference awards. I think we take a step in the right direction but not quite good enough to make a regional - I hope I'm wrong.

Projected Starters:
P - (Weekend) Roper, Gilles, Solesky; (Mid-week) Bates and Celluci (he will be a pen guy as well); (Closer) Pellerin with Trent Johnson as a setup guy. We will see a ton of Campbell, Price and Green as well.
1B - Jensen (Bedgood backup)
2b - Artiques
SS - Gozzo (Burns or Hoese)
3b - Hoese (Bedgood)
DH - (LH)Bedgood; Glancy; (RH)Sepcich; Power; Niemann
LF - Matthews (Sepcich\Haskins)
CF - K. Owen if healthy (Ty Johnson)
RF - Ty Johnson (Sepcich)
C - A. Owen (McKeithen will have plenty of chances)
I see Groff backup at 3B
Haskin backup in CF but could be starter sooner then latter
Mckeithan could be starter behind the plate early on
Power backup at 2B
The outfield will be different every day
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Kody Hoese was named the #13 3rd baseman by DI Baseball. I think most knew he was an upgrade at that position. Now for a few more like him at other spots.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote:Kody Hoese was named the #13 3rd baseman by DI Baseball. I think most knew he was an upgrade at that position. Now for a few more like him at other spots.
IIRC in 2017 the entire infield made the top 30 or 50(whatever D1 Baseball did that year) at their position.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:Kody Hoese was named the #13 3rd baseman by DI Baseball. I think most knew he was an upgrade at that position. Now for a few more like him at other spots.
IIRC in 2017 the entire infield made the top 30 or 50(whatever D1 Baseball did that year) at their position.
I think you are right about that. Infield defense has mostly been good. A good center fielder and improved pitching is what we need.
Tulane Greenbackers

visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I’m not as high on the defense as everyone else seems to be. SS and catcher are the most important positions on defense and I just seem to remember a lot of passed balls last year and we didn’t do a good job against the stolen base attempts. In 2017 we had Montalbano catch for a couple weeks and then we had a not totally healthy Paul Gozzo and Artigues who had never caught before. Somehow we allowed fewer stolen bases and a lower % of successful attempts with that group than we allowed last season. I guess the defense at SS is adequate, it’s hard to judge really but I don’t think I’d classify it as anything better than average.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

FW wrote:In before Roller says 56-0
Well, we haven't lost a game yet.
Just keep winning is all it takes.
ForeverTU
Regent's Circle

Post by ForeverTU »

B-ball Twitter released the weekend starters - Roper, Gillies and Solesky as expected.

LEGOOOOO
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

That’s a really good starting 3. The big question is if they have to go 7+ if we want to win.
Tulane Greenbackers

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

There is very little talk about the freshman or the junior college transfer pitcher here or in any articles I have read. TJ mentioned 3 freshman potentially having roles in one of the articles. I don’t think any were pitchers. Is this because the older guys have really played well leading up to the season or is this going to be a really disappointing freshman class? Given how bad the bullpen was last year, I assumed there would be opportunities for some new faces to shine.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

NJwave wrote:There is very little talk about the freshman or the junior college transfer pitcher here or in any articles I have read. TJ mentioned 3 freshman potentially having roles in one of the articles. I don’t think any were pitchers. Is this because the older guys have really played well leading up to the season or is this going to be a really disappointing freshman class? Given how bad the bullpen was last year, I assumed there would be opportunities for some new faces to shine.
JUCO transfer C J Whelan will probably be used as middle relief
True freshmen Landon Boeneke and Grant Segar will not see much action this year and may end up being redshirted. Just too much depth and experience in front of them and they have not wowed during fall. They had ups and downs in fall. However it’s a long season and injuries happen forcing freshmen to step up