lsu basketball

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

lsu basketball

Unread post by tjtlja »

Have not followed any of their games until the second half against Kentucky tonight. Tigers win by 2 at the buzzer. Record is 20-4. A couple of things. How did they get this good this quickly? Are they a threat to get to the final 4? And why are they only ranked 19th? I presume this miraculous turnaround gives us a sliver of hope (of course, I am presuming the slush fund was not tampered with in BR).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: lsu basketball

Unread post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote:Have not followed any of their games until the second half against Kentucky tonight. Tigers win by 2 at the buzzer. Record is 20-4. A couple of things. How did they get this good this quickly? Are they a threat to get to the final 4? And why are they only ranked 19th? I presume this miraculous turnaround gives us a sliver of hope (of course, I am presuming the slush fund was not tampered with in BR).
See: Will Wade FBI
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Just read it. How will this case play into this year or any other year? Like Rick Barnes said, we already know all of this, which also bleeds all over AAU. Cheating is viral. I guess it all depends on how much stroke/lsu has in the college basketball world.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Would be extremely surprised to see LSU sniff the final four. They are a solid team but Kentucky beats them 7/10 and Tennessee is kinda ok this year. Meanwhile Duke, Gonzaga, and a host of others are more likely to make the final four.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:Just read it. How will this case play into this year or any other year? Like Rick Barnes said, we already know all of this, which also bleeds all over AAU. Cheating is viral. I guess it all depends on how much stroke/lsu has in the college basketball world.
I was just answering how they're doing it, not saying they'll get punished
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

At the beginning of last year we competed straight up on the court in an exhibition. Since then the programs could not have headed in two more opposite directions. Now a year later they are 20-4 and we are trying to avoid 4-20. Just saying they are cheating is a intellectually lazy.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Would be extremely surprised to see LSU sniff the final four. They are a solid team but Kentucky beats them 7/10 and Tennessee is kinda ok this year. Meanwhile Duke, Gonzaga, and a host of others are more likely to make the final four.

No doubt KY beats most teams in NCAA 7/10 and Duke, et al beat LSU 9/10. That what makes a knockout tourney fun. You just play once. Wade has done a great job at LSU. He actually might have been able to make Simmons productive.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Poseidon wrote:At the beginning of last year we competed straight up on the court in an exhibition. Since then the programs could not have headed in two more opposite directions. Now a year later they are 20-4 and we are trying to avoid 4-20. Just saying they are cheating is a intellectually lazy.
They are well-coached, tenacious & talented. Tonite's win will bump up several places in the Top 25.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Would be extremely surprised to see LSU sniff the final four. They are a solid team but Kentucky beats them 7/10 and Tennessee is kinda ok this year. Meanwhile Duke, Gonzaga, and a host of others are more likely to make the final four.

No doubt KY beats most teams in NCAA 7/10 and Duke, et al beat LSU 9/10. That what makes a knockout tourney fun. You just play once. Wade has done a great job at LSU. He actually might have been able to make Simmons productive.
I was answering tj's original question about whether they would make the final four (and also why they aren't ranked higher atm). I agree with everything you are saying. My point was just that I dont see them going the Final 4 this year, though they have improved mightily.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Agree. If we are going to see a longer shot/upset team make Final Four, I'll obviously be partisan and root for an AAC team to do the unlikely out of conference solidarity.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:At the beginning of last year we competed straight up on the court in an exhibition. Since then the programs could not have headed in two more opposite directions. Now a year later they are 20-4 and we are trying to avoid 4-20. Just saying they are cheating is a intellectually lazy.
I can be lazy and correct. A team can also be talented and bad.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Occam's razor
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Occam's razor
I almost said exactly this
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Occam's razor
Wouldn't coaching be the most simple explanation? I am not sure if you two were agreeing or disagreeing.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Occam's razor
Wouldn't coaching be the most simple explanation? I am not sure if you two were agreeing or disagreeing.
Talent, to me, would be the simplest.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Compare their roster to ours. They don’t have many Cornishes on their roster that is loaded with top tier talent. Bottom line, they can buy the players that we can’t afford.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by BC Wave »

Plus they found a very good up and coming coach.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Knocked off Tennessee today, in the driver’s seat for SEC title.

Tulane meanwhile...
Victory is never permanent
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

OGSB wrote:Knocked off Tennessee today, in the driver’s seat for SEC title.

Tulane meanwhile...
They still can't read and are a bunch of cheaters
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:

Tulane meanwhile...
And likely won't make the second weekend of the tourney.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

A year and a half ago, Tulane beat LSU in an exhibition where both teams played really hard. It was not a walk through/scrimmage/practice. It was a game whose result mattered for those involved and those watching.

Wade is a great coach. He will do well at LSU however one wishes to define it.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:

Tulane meanwhile...
And likely won't make the second weekend of the tourney.
I don't know about that one.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

They are hot right now and could make a relatively deep run into the tournament. However, they were also extremely lucky to beat both Kentucky and Tennessee and wouldn't be favored against either on a neutral floor. Those are just the immediate in-conference threats. And let's not forget they dropped a game to a so-so Florida team last week, as well. Come tourney time it wouldn't surprise me to see them go out in the opening round or to make it to the elite eight. Matchups will be key.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Point is that in two years, he has LSU competing for regular season MBB conference championship. He was hired with a good but not spectacular resume. He has clearly overperformed. I wouldn't bet against him continuing to do so this year nor going forward.

In contrast, ESPN announcers Saturday devoted game time to the great tee shirts Tulane was giving out. (They were in fact outstanding as these things go.) The ESPN announcers at an earlier Tulane game made at least ten references to scalping cost of Duke-UNC tickets. When the folks calling a game don't spend time calling a game, you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to understand what that dog which doesn't bark means.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Can we please stop acting like Wade is a miracle worker?!