Tulane MBB Hosts WSU at 7:30pm on CBSSN

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Tulane MBB Hosts WSU at 7:30pm on CBSSN

Unread post by Baywave1 »

WSU is a ten point favorite. Tulane wins this game if it has less than ten turnovers. That's a very stretchy goal for this team so maybe simply a little kismet will do the trick. Roll Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane MBB Hosts WSU at 7:30pm on CBSSN

Unread post by PeteRasche »

The odds are better we have 10 turnovers by only one player than us having less as a team.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:The odds are better we have 10 turnovers by only one player than us having less as a team.
My money's on a senior on senior night :(
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:The odds are better we have 10 turnovers by only one player than us having less as a team.
Disagree. No player on Tulane has had a ten TO game. (Cornish and Daniels have come close.) As a team, Tulane has had one game with less than ten TOs. That was SDSU. Tulane's best game and win of the season.

It's a narrow path to victory but doable. So why the snark?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:
Disagree. No player on Tulane has had a ten TO game. (Cornish and Daniels have come close.) As a team, Tulane has had one game with less than ten TOs. That was SDSU. Tulane's best game and win of the season.

It's a narrow path to victory but doable. So why the snark?
Sorry, man, but I've seen little this season to not be snarky about. My friggin team is on TV almost every game yet I'm not even motivated to turn it on anymore. And that makes me sad. And, I guess, snarky.

I haven't posted much but in case you can't guess, I'm officially off the bandwagon. It simply isn't working. And I don't believe any amount of 3- and 4-star recruits will change that.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

My thoughts exactly. Cornish will have 8 before halftime. Throw in Barrett and we may have more turnovers than points.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Sehic having a great night. In the 30th game they seem to finally realize he can score inside if you give him the ball.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Catch and shoot all in half a second. So much for a home court timekeeper.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Unread post by Wavefan »

Number one, Daniels was fouled on the so called out of bounds. Number two, the shot had not left the shooters hand when time expired. Just more kaka from aac game officials.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Terrible way to lose a game. Would have been nice to send the seniors out with a win.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Unread post by Charlie Dunn »

How was Daniels not fouled on that play? The guy dove into him with his elbow. I just don't understand how that was Wichita state ball. I thought Daniels would be shooting foul shots to win the game. Ridiculous.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Wavefan wrote:Number one, Daniels was fouled on the so called out of bounds. Number two, the shot had not left the shooters hand when time expired. Just more kaka from aac game officials.
Looks pretty legit to me...

96Wave
Riptide Level

Unread post by 96Wave »

Unfortunately, NCAA basketball is not the same as Hearts, because we just Shot the Moon. I feel bad for the kids on this team because staff (including AD) has let them down. I went to the Temple game on Sunday and you could see the effort, frustration, and desire to win from all the kids.

MD has not set this team up to win at all. Nobody on this team can create and finish. So many drives end up in low percentage shots because they can't finish. Even fast break 2 on 1's end up in turnovers or an extra bad pass due to inability to finish. How you can go through an entire year and not have some players be able to finish at the rim is a mystery to me.

We have too many weak passes and bad passes. There is no game plan. At one point against Temple, we had 3 starters with 0 points in the second half. (I believe this is correct.) You will never win with that. We would have to have a monster game from at least 2 players to win that way.

I don't see any real possible turn around next year. I am sure all of this has been beaten to death by this board. I even got a snarky email response from Dannen when I expressed concern over the program because I guess only locals who can go to games count. My tuition checks in the 90's don't count either apparently. So, I guess, whatever. Contrast our situation with Temple: a coach who dominated Philadelphia basketball (10 NCAA appearances with U. Penn and a handful with Temple) has no scandal, and is being pushed out because their alums think they should be as good as Villanova.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:WSU is a ten point favorite. Tulane wins this game if it has less than ten turnovers. That's a very stretchy goal for this team so maybe simply a little kismet will do the trick. Roll Wave!
You were mostly right in that turnovers did us in.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

No rocket science here. It's the turnovers: 12 in first half caused a nine point deficit. None in second half for first 11+ minutes and Tulane has an eight point lead. Then three quick turnovers and game is tied and a nail biter until final buzzer. Tulane had just four turnovers overall in second half but no kismet at end so still Wave loses.

Daniels was obviously great and Paul played especially well on defense. Onto Memphis Thursday afternoon where home team will be at least a legit fifteen point favorite if not more.

P.S., Team and coach testimonials shown at breaks in 2cd half honoring Paul and Cornish were very well done and a nice touch to recognize them.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/dngrdm
Interesting clock/backboard discrepancy
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Probably our last shot at a win. Hard to see us going on the road and pulling an upset. Again, I don't see how you can sustain this for another year. There's literally nothing to look forward to before 2020-2021 now.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:https://www.clippituser.tv/c/dngrdm
Interesting clock/backboard discrepancy
Seems like something to question the clock system manufacturer about...

I remember hearing a few years ago about a discrepancy between the lights and the buzzer in a pretty big game, might have been an NCAA tourney game or something. You'd think that wouldn't be hard to get right.

Somewhat related but tangential: this past year my daughter played basketball at a gym which doubled as a large multi purpose center for a school. Instead of hanging big, ugly, fixed scoreboards, they had scoreboard software on a laptop, plugged into the room's projectors, which were permanently installed and threw onto massive projection screens. Audio from the laptop plugged into the audio system and came through the speakers (for the buzzer). Worked just as well as a scoreboard, allows upgrades (changes in software to make board have more or less info) or completely different boards for different sports (i.e., volleyball), and would even (though they didn't use it) allow graphics during time outs (at higher levels, I'm thinking commercials), etc. And no burned-out bulbs making it hard to tell between certain numbers. 8) obviously this won't be the future of dedicated sports arenas (they're already there with jumbotron/flat screen boards) but I can see this being the future of grade school and high school gyms which are often used for other assembly purposes. With computer projector technology being so commonplace today, it makes sense. In fact, it made so much sense once I saw it that I was shocked I'd never seen it prior.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Probably our last shot at a win. Hard to see us going on the road and pulling an upset.
Yep; get to play Memphis on their home flood in round 1. Sounds familiar.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Probably our last shot at a win. Hard to see us going on the road and pulling an upset. Again, I don't see how you can sustain this for another year. There's literally nothing to look forward to before 2020-2021 now.
Jimmy Chitwood stepping forward saying he'll only play for Mike Dunleavy.
Victory is never permanent
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

My buddy texted last night that Dunleavy should do the right thing and step down.. how could any coach think he's building something with an 0 for conference record where we only had a shot in 2 of the 18 games?

This team wouldn't be more than 1 or 2 wins better with Ona Embo on the floor.. and those wins would have probably been the RPI killers we played before Xmas, that ended up beating us.

As Gsx said about Stockton in the WBB thread, Dunleavy should take care of this himself and not make Tulane do it.. since we CAN'T do it without paying him an assload of cash.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Unread post by angrywavedad »

How often do coaches with no track record of success go winless in their conference and keep their job? Asking for a friend.
tulanerules
Junior

Unread post by tulanerules »

Johnny Mac wrote:My buddy texted last night that Dunleavy should do the right thing and step down.. how could any coach think he's building something with an 0 for conference record where we only had a shot in 2 of the 18 games?

This team wouldn't be more than 1 or 2 wins better with Ona Embo on the floor.. and those wins would have probably been the RPI killers we played before Xmas, that ended up beating us.

As Gsx said about Stockton in the WBB thread, Dunleavy should take care of this himself and not make Tulane do it.. since we CAN'T do it without paying him an assload of cash.
why in gods name would he step dwon? and leave all that money on the table? wuld you leave all that money on the table at your job if you wre in his situation??
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Re-hashing the same thread over and over.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

season's not over but MD isn't going out by resigning. He has too big an ego for that. I'm sure in his mind he's convinced that with a little more time he will turn things around. After all he was once the NBA Coach of the Year. He just needs to find the high school equivalent of Magic Johnson and he's all set. That should be easy.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.