lsu basketball

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: lsu basketball

Post by Poseidon »

So here is my take...if guilty of what has been said so far NCAA should punish wade and offending players. The other players shouldn't be punished for crap they likely knew nothing about and didn't do. I am tired of the NCAA losing the hammer on those not involved.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Poseidon wrote:So here is my take...if guilty of what has been said so far NCAA should punish wade and offending players. The other players shouldn't be punished for crap they likely knew nothing about and didn't do. I am tired of the NCAA losing the hammer on those not involved.
That said it wouldn't break heart if LSU was collateral damage.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

I agree. Shut down the entire lsu sports program. ;-) but not really.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I believe there are more payouts than just Javonte Smart.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

doc wrote:I believe there are more payouts than just Javonte Smart.
WHAT!?!?!?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

MattK wrote:
randymc wrote:The Javonte Smart tape material is fresher, more recent in connection with the next trial coming up in mid to late April.
Seems crazy to suspend he coach but not the player at this point though.
Keep in mind the player is the pawn in all this - the coach, the middleman, and the parent are making the deal. How does an 18 year old from most often a poor family tell his mom "I'm not taking it"? Just not happening.

That doesn't mean LSU should not be severely penalized.
Bring home da Wave!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Based on what the NCAA may later do about Smart’s eligibility, we may have two Louisiana teams playing today who have 0-17 conference records.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Baywave1 wrote:Based on what the NCAA may later do about Smart’s eligibility, we may have two Louisiana teams playing today who have 0-17 conference records.
And yet everyone in Louisiana will remember how LSU won the SEC this year
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

doc wrote:I believe there are more payouts than just Javonte Smart.
If Will Wade ever is sworn in as a witness, that is exactly what the attorney asking questions will want to know. Pull up a chair.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

doncecco wrote:
MattK wrote:
randymc wrote:The Javonte Smart tape material is fresher, more recent in connection with the next trial coming up in mid to late April.
Keep in mind the player is the pawn in all this - the coach, the middleman, and the parent are making the deal. How does an 18 year old from most often a poor family tell his mom "I'm not taking it"? Just not happening.

Whether he is or isn't the pawn, if he took money he's ineligible. If they're suspending the coach because of the incident then why wouldn't you sit the kid until you figure out what happened.

If they're going to take the 'screw it, all of this is getting erased anyway' route, then why suspend the coach?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

MattK wrote:
doncecco wrote:
MattK wrote:

Whether he is or isn't the pawn, if he took money he's ineligible. If they're suspending the coach because of the incident then why wouldn't you sit the kid until you figure out what happened.

If they're going to take the 'screw it, all of this is getting erased anyway' route, then why suspend the coach?
ALERT!!!

Optics

SARCASM!
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

gerryb323 wrote:
MattK wrote:
doncecco wrote:
MattK wrote:

ALERT!!!

Optics

SARCASM!
They are suspending the coach so they will keep the NCAA investigators off the campus. If they come on campus they can, and have the right, investigate ALL sports. They don't want them investigating the football program or anything else.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Apparently the administration wanted to talk to Wade about the whole thing but he refused and that's why they suspended him.
Victory is never permanent
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

It was a trap. He can be fired for cause (no payout) if he lies about NCAA violations to his bosses. If he doesn't answer those questions, he keeps on getting paid for a while. He got good legal advice.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

maddog wrote:It was a trap. He can be fired for cause (no payout) if he lies about NCAA violations to his bosses. If he doesn't answer those questions, he keeps on getting paid for a while. He got good legal advice.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Ask and ye shall receive:

“Javonte Smart will be held from today’s game against Vanderbilt. This is done only in an abundance of caution and as a result of the lack of clarity provided regarding media reports and reported wiretaps involving head coach Will Wade,” LSU’s statement said on Saturday. “This decision does not suggest, in any way, wrongdoing or knowledge of wrongdoing on Javonte’s part of his family. Javonte and his family have been fully cooperative and open with university officials.”
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

In other words, "our lawyers haven't been able to come up with any plausible way to talk our way out of this yet, so we're stalling for time."

I mean, Ben Simmons said he got paid. When he did, Shaq laughed and basically said of course he did too. And crickets from the NCAA. How obvious is it that they have no interest in doing anything to LSU?? And if not for a freaking legal investigation outside of their control making all of this public, they STILL wouldn't be doing a d*mn thing. I don't get it. Does Alleva have photos of Emmert in a compromising position?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:In other words, "our lawyers haven't been able to come up with any plausible way to talk our way out of this yet, so we're stalling for time."

I mean, Ben Simmons said he got paid. When he did, Shaq laughed and basically said of course he did too. And crickets from the NCAA. How obvious is it that they have no interest in doing anything to LSU?? And if not for a freaking legal investigation outside of their control making all of this public, they STILL wouldn't be doing a d*mn thing. I don't get it. Does Alleva have photos of Emmert in a compromising position?
I'm still waiting for the day one or more of the Kentucky guys ignores their ironclad NDAs and admits they got paid at Kentucky and never went to class. Demarcus Cousins is my top candidate for blowing the whistle because the odds are high he'll go off his meds.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

The atmosphere at the LSU Vandy game shows the tail wagging the dog mentality of B(C)S college sports. Just as fans rallied for child abuse protector Joe Paterno and rallied for serial angry man Bobby Knight, the chants for serial cheater Will Wade make me embarrassed to be from Louisiana. The LSU admins better for once stand strong and discipline Wade in the harshest possible way. Termination.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

SEC champs *
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:SEC champs *
Yeah, the NCAA will wait until they've sold $100,000 worth of champions gear, and THEN make them vacate the title. Give me a break.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
Yeah, the NCAA will wait until they've sold $100,000 worth of champions gear, and THEN make them vacate the title. Give me a break.
Flags fly forever
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Flags fly forever
Actually, they don't (most schools take down banners for years vacated)... but banners mean nothing, the income that the school gets from the championship is what should somehow be taken away. It's no punishment to say that School X has a title vacated in the record books; it would be punishment to make them pay back all the income derived from it (though a way to determine that number would have to be figured out and it would be admittedly fuzzy, which is why they don't do it).

If a school gets, say, half a million dollars worth of "profit" (call it merchandise sales, season ticket sales for the next year, goodwill which drives applications, etc.), that school keeps that money and it benefits the athletic program in having money to pay for recruiting, facilities, equipment, amenities, etc., etc... the things that keep the rich richer. That's the problem. If you cheat, something should be done to take away the advantage you gained going forward. Removing scholarships in larger numbers would do that damage but it's arguably unfair to the kids who did not cheat. The death penalty for a year or two would work, but the NCAA doesn't want to do that any more because of the catastrophe it would cause with TV rights, scheduling, etc. (i.e., ESPN has a contract to show Big 10 football, but if, say, Ohio State isn't part of it, ESPN could sue for breach of contract saying that they are not providing the same "draw" that the contract was written to include). So I think the only way to fairly punish the school is a flat-out monetary penalty. Pick some number, or even some set formula requiring the school to turn over the books from various revenue sources, and hit 'em in the pocketbook.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Flags fly forever
Actually, they don't (most schools take down banners for years vacated)... but banners mean nothing, the income that the school gets from the championship is what should somehow be taken away. It's no punishment to say that School X has a title vacated in the record books; it would be punishment to make them pay back all the income derived from it (though a way to determine that number would have to be figured out and it would be admittedly fuzzy, which is why they don't do it).

If a school gets, say, half a million dollars worth of "profit" (call it merchandise sales, season ticket sales for the next year, goodwill which drives applications, etc.), that school keeps that money and it benefits the athletic program in having money to pay for recruiting, facilities, equipment, amenities, etc., etc... the things that keep the rich richer. That's the problem. If you cheat, something should be done to take away the advantage you gained going forward. Removing scholarships in larger numbers would do that damage but it's arguably unfair to the kids who did not cheat. The death penalty for a year or two would work, but the NCAA doesn't want to do that any more because of the catastrophe it would cause with TV rights, scheduling, etc. (i.e., ESPN has a contract to show Big 10 football, but if, say, Ohio State isn't part of it, ESPN could sue for breach of contract saying that they are not providing the same "draw" that the contract was written to include). So I think the only way to fairly punish the school is a flat-out monetary penalty. Pick some number, or even some set formula requiring the school to turn over the books from various revenue sources, and hit 'em in the pocketbook.
Don't you KNOW me at all? But thank you for filling in all of the points I didn't have the time or ability to do and instead opted for my usual tongue-in-cheek. You, of course, say it better than I ever could.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I realize it's been said earlier in this thread that the NCAA will wait until after the season to make decisions on punishments, etc... but I would laugh my balls off if the tournament committee leaves LSU out of the field of 68 if they don't win the SEC tournament... although speaking of balls, I don't believe the tournament committee has the requisite collective size to actually do that.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest