Tulane MBB today at Memphis on ESPNU about 2:15pm

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Tulane MBB today at Memphis on ESPNU about 2:15pm

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Tulane MBB is bad but it ain't murder or the police reports so I started a thread for those of us interested in the game.

UM is a 16.5 favorite playing at home. Game is in a workday afternoon so arena won't be full but I'm sure there will be 6,000+ warm bodies pulling for the Tigers.

Tulane's chances probably range from 1 in 20 to 1 in 50. To win it must play against form: it must shoot well (45% to 50%), manage turnovers and at least not give up to UM an inordinate number of fast break and in the paint points. (All things Tulane has been weak on this season.) It should compete respectably on rebounds regardless.

It probably needs UM to be looking to tomorrow's game and not go in an early deficit to keep crowd out of it. If this game is to finish in a very unlikely upset, it will be in the first half and then at the buzzer.

Those are a lot of ifs thus making the 1 in 50 a more likely scenario for true Tulane winning odds. I understand the argument for Tulane not even covering the point spread. However you still have to play the game and Dunleavy has suggested that team has been focused on the tournament for months. We'll see if it matters. Roll Wave!
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane MBB today at Memphis on ESPNU about 2:15pm

Unread post by BC Wave »

We need Caleb to score 31 in each half
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

We're probably 30 minutes out. Uconn usf just ending
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Memphis comes out pressing us.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

The road to Minneapolis begins here!!!!!! :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

We're down 16 with a minute and a half left in the half. They have hit 8 threes already
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:We're down 16 with a minute and a half left in the half. They have hit 8 threes already
I swear teams shoot better from 3 against us than they would in an empty gym.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Without going back to look, I'm sure somebody went apocalyptic in mid December and said "we won't win another game".

Who's laughing now?
Victory is never permanent
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

OGSB wrote:Without going back to look, I'm sure somebody went apocalyptic in mid December and said "we won't win another game".

Who's laughing now?
actually, I don't anyone disagreed with anyone who made that assessment
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

I had a nice sarcastic post about winning the 2nd half but we blew that lead too.
Victory is never permanent
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

I thought most of the players competed hard. Daniels has been great the last several games which bodes well for his future. This was as bad a season as anybody could imagine. Dunleavy did a terrible job. I hope he spends the offseason watching tape of successful college programs and realizes they win by playing defense and team basketball.

Memphis now has 20 wins and a great recruiting class coming in. Hardaway has turned that program around in about 5 minutes.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

It's pretty sad that the worst season basically ever just ended and everyone is so past it that no one is screaming for the heads to roll.

Our first year back we won 4 games with a team of freshmen and a few jucos. And beat a top 20 team along the way. I honestly think we'd have curbstomped this year's team.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

NJwave wrote:I thought most of the players competed hard. Daniels has been great the last several games which bodes well for his future. This was as bad a season as anybody could imagine. Dunleavy did a terrible job. I hope he spends the offseason watching tape of successful college programs and realizes they win by playing defense and team basketball.

Memphis now has 20 wins and a great recruiting class coming in. Hardaway has turned that program around in about 5 minutes.
I hope he spends the offseason looking for work
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Thank God that's over. I will post the same thing when the Mike Dunleavy era is over, which I hope is soon but isn't supposed to be.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

long green wrote:Thank God that's over. I will post the same thing when the Mike Dunleavy era is over, which I hope is soon but isn't supposed to be.
My thoughts as well. I don't see how Dunleavy stays. Even in if the team improves 100 spots in the RPI or NET we would still be in the bottom third of the sport far from the postseason. We are way, way down. We had the second worst record in college basketball.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

visualmagic wrote:
NJwave wrote:I thought most of the players competed hard. Daniels has been great the last several games which bodes well for his future. This was as bad a season as anybody could imagine. Dunleavy did a terrible job. I hope he spends the offseason watching tape of successful college programs and realizes they win by playing defense and team basketball.

I hope he spends the offseason looking for work
There will likely be an opening at a school in Baton Rouge. I’ll even pay for his moving van.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Poseidon wrote:
long green wrote:Thank God that's over. I will post the same thing when the Mike Dunleavy era is over, which I hope is soon but isn't supposed to be.
My thoughts as well. I don't see how Dunleavy stays. Even in if the team improves 100 spots in the RPI or NET we would still be in the bottom third of the sport far from the postseason. We are way, way down. We had the second worst record in college basketball.
If our "coach" stays, it sure says plenty about Tulane's desire to at least have SOME athletic credibility. It's a complete farce.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Poseidon wrote:
That's the real point. No deviation from Dannen's assessment from last October: NCAAs in year 4 including winning AAC record. No changing of the baseline to "Look how much we improved over year 3." An early tell on this will be 2019-2020 OOC schedule. If it looks like a Dickson/Conroy cupcake special then it means we're looking at MD through 2021. If it actually is challenging enough so that if you win, you can get an NCAA at-large then we'll know what Dannen's expectations are.

I have heard there will be staff changes but not the one that seems most obvious here.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Despite starting a thread with a misspelling about the game I completely forgot it was going on. I just can’t imagine there will be many season tickets sold before next season. I don’t think the staff is the problem. We need a good motivator that really knows his x’s and o’s on the college level. And we need to hope we hold on to a couple of these recruits who appear to be basketball players. We have rec-league shooters for the most part.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

The lifeblood for a winning college program is successful recruiting. We have one legit AAC caliber player, Daniels. We need a solid recruiter/talent evaluator. We need a coach that knows college basketball Xs and Os. The international players stink. Obviously, not many American recruits are buying into Dunleavy’s NBA pedigree. There is no way Dannen can justify bringing Dunleavy back for year 4. If it’s a money issue, think about how much money is being lost per home game with 300 people in the gym instead of 3,000 and Tulane being the laughingstock of the AAC.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

At Tulane, just how bad do you have to be to get fired?? If Dunlevy had any common sense, he'd just plain retire.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:It's pretty sad that the worst season basically ever just ended and everyone is so past it that no one is screaming for the heads to roll.

Our first year back we won 4 games with a team of freshmen and a few jucos. And beat a top 20 team along the way. I honestly think we'd have curbstomped this year's team.
Bret Just would have scored 20; Joe Passi would have had a double-double. I wish I were kidding.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Ray wrote:At Tulane, just how bad do you have to be to get fired?? If Dunlevy had any common sense, he'd just plain retire.
He'd be giving up money to resign or retire, so yeah
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
Ray wrote:At Tulane, just how bad do you have to be to get fired?? If Dunlevy had any common sense, he'd just plain retire.
That's when negotiate a buy out/stepping down scenario. He saves face, we save money.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
That's when negotiate a buy out/stepping down scenario. He saves face, we save money.
He's old. Not much face to save