Tulane spring football

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane spring football

Unread post by TUPF »

Banks’ propensity to fumble at the worst possible times is what did him in for me. That was reason enough for the QB change mid season.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

wavedom wrote:Where were you on Banks last year when he led us to Bowl Eligibility but for he robbery at SMU? Willie Fritz admitted they had over coached him and screwed him up. I'll trust him over you.
I was hopeful, but skeptical. You can search my post if you like. We won the ECU(300+ rushing yards) in spite of Banks bad performance. He played well against Hosuton and SMU, but putrid against FIU and others. He didn't lead us to bowl eligibility. The defense mostly and running game to a lesser extent did. Look at what we gave up in our wins: Houston 17 points, Grambling 14, ECU 24, Army 17, and Tulsa 28. We didn't win shootouts. In the two games when the opponents had over 20 points our rushing attack had over 300 and 400 yards on the ground. Your premise that he led the team to anything outside of the SMU non-loss is weak.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

if we can get him the ball, he could really electrify this Offense.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote:
wavedom wrote:Where were you on Banks last year when he led us to Bowl Eligibility but for he robbery at SMU? Willie Fritz admitted they had over coached him and screwed him up. I'll trust him over you.
I was hopeful, but skeptical. You can search my post if you like. We won the ECU(300+ rushing yards) in spite of Banks bad performance. He played well against Hosuton and SMU, but putrid against FIU and others. He didn't lead us to bowl eligibility. The defense mostly and running game to a lesser extent did. Look at what we gave up in our wins: Houston 17 points, Grambling 14, ECU 24, Army 17, and Tulsa 28. We didn't win shootouts. In the two games when the opponents had over 20 points our rushing attack had over 300 and 400 yards on the ground. Your premise that he led the team to anything outside of the SMU non-loss is weak.
The offense he was running was bad which is why it's gone. His playmaking ability helped us overcome the limitations it imposed. They took that away from him last season. He was actually more accurate than McMillan and threw half the interceptions. Not saying a change wasn't warranted just saying the 2-5 start wasn't all on Banks. There were several other changes made when we hit 2-5 and WF saw his career flashing before his eyes. We changed starting tackles. We tripled Dauphine's touches. In fact right after the SMU game Dauphine was quoted as saying that before they left the field Fritz ran to him and told him he was going to start getting the ball more. Last but not least the schedule weakened at that point. We had the reverse situation of USF who played the weak part of their schedule the first half of the season and then fell apart against the tougher half. QB is the most visible position but there's a whole lot more to it than that. The coaches handcuffed him and he sufered for it and so did the team. That's why the fault lies with them.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I seriously think the TP has their word processor set to auto-replace "Justin McMillan" with "former LSU quarterback Justin McMillan". EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:
I seriously think the TP has their word processor set to auto-replace "Justin McMillan" with "former LSU quarterback Justin McMillan". EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I get it when it's in the headline, maybe trying for a click but in the body of the story just seems like trolling.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by StPeteWave »

PeteRasche wrote:
+ 100%
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

PeteRasche wrote:
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

From the first I read about Nick Anderson I was so glad CWF offered him and he accepted. Just a solid young man.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I agree sr, I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people. And a bright young man he’ll do well at Tulane
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

He's wearing Harris' #40.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

FTW podcast with Offensive Coordinator, Will Hall
Good stuff, JP
Discusses how he got here, offensive philosophy and players, including former LSU quarterback, Justin McMillan.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by pearlriverwave »

gerryb323 wrote:FTW podcast with Offensive Coordinator, Will Hall
Good stuff, JP
Discusses how he got here, offensive philosophy and players, including former LSU quarterback, Justin McMillan.
Why do you always say former lsu player, when you mention banks you don't say former kansas player.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

pearlriverwave wrote:
Good stuff, JP
Why do you always say former lsu player, when you mention banks you don't say former kansas player.
Well, I thought he was mocking the local newspaper.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Great, great podcast. It’ll fire you up. The best thing he said was that there is big difference between moving the ball and winning the game. Anyone can snap it 100 times and pile up yards and even points. When asked what college coaches he liked watching he picked Chip Long, the OC at Notre Dame for a guy who he likes now and Bobby Petrino, mostly for what he was doing his first go-round at Louisville. This is not some mere no-huddle zealot, though obviously we will try get at people with more tempo.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

pearlriverwave wrote:
Good stuff, JP
Well, wrt Banks, that would be wrong anyway. And yeah, as CT said, I was mocking the local coverage
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:Great, great podcast. It’ll fire you up. The best thing he said was that there is big difference between moving the ball and winning the game. Anyone can snap it 100 times and pile up yards and even points. When asked what college coaches he liked watching he picked Chip Long, the OC at Notre Dame for a guy who he likes now and Bobby Petrino, mostly for what he was doing his first go-round at Louisville. This is not some mere no-huddle zealot, though obviously we will try get at people with more tempo.
He also sounds a lot more positive about our offensive line than most here have sounded. And he emphasized getting the ball into the hands of your playmakers
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote:
pearlriverwave wrote:
Good stuff, JP
Well, wrt Banks, that would be wrong anyway. And yeah, as CT said, I was mocking the local coverage
may as well explain the bulldog thing to him, too.. he's apparently missed quite a bit of the inside jokes
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Unread post by fearthewave »

Good stuff, JP
Really appreciate you sharing. I thought Coach Hall had great answers, and I was fired up after the interview too. For anyone without a podcast app, you can stream it here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/i ... -will-hall

Please share it around if you enjoyed it. I'd love to do more like these with Coach Jewett and Coach Hall in the future.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

fearthewave wrote:
Good stuff, JP
Really appreciate you sharing. I thought Coach Hall had great answers, and I was fired up after the interview too. For anyone without a podcast app, you can stream it here:

Please share it around if you enjoyed it. I'd love to do more like these with Coach Jewett and Coach Hall in the future.
Any coaches who make themselves available would be great. I like getting a look behind the curtain. Hopefully the new basketball coach is up with the modern media
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

fearthewave wrote: Really appreciate you sharing. I thought Coach Hall had great answers, and I was fired up after the interview too. For anyone without a podcast app, you can stream it here:

It needs to be said again that you are a very good interviewer. Your subjects are sometimes self propelled like Hall, sometimes they need to be prodded.
You are prepared and ask probing questions....which elicited these two interesting responses:
- the list of offensive minds he follows and has learned from and
- his goal since he was a little kid was to be a D1 Head Coach B4 the age of 40. There should be no surprise nor disappointment when he a) succeeds and b) leaves for greener pastures.
This interview paints a very clear picture of what we have:
Football junky
Great knowledge and appreciation of good coaching (does anyone think he would be here under someone like Toledo?)
confident
driven

Thanks FTW and please keep up the good work.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I agree. Thanks FTW.