2019 AAC MBB NCAA March Madness

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
TUPF
Emerald Circle

2019 AAC MBB NCAA March Madness

Post by TUPF »

I honestly tuned out in this debacle of a men’s basketball season, so now that it is Selection Sunday, who’s in, who’s on the bubble? How about NIT? (No buy in tournaments, please.) I know Philadelphia sportswriters are split whether Temple is in or out after it’s AAC tourney loss to WSU.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: 2019 AAC MBB NCAA March Madness

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Houston, Cinci, and UCF should be in. Temple is on the bubble but leaning in. To get 4 teams in would be the best the AAC has ever done. But we haven't had a team make the sweet 16 since Uconn won it all in 2014 so we need some teams to step up and show well.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Watching the AAC championship game, Cincinnati's Jarron Cumberland is on fire. After Houston blew UC out last week for the regular season title, UC seems to be taking out their frustration with a vengeance. Cumberland has somewhere in the mid 30s and there's still almost 4 minutes left.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

PeteRasche wrote:Watching the AAC championship game, Cincinnati's Jarron Cumberland is on fire. After Houston blew UC out last week for the regular season title, UC seems to be taking out their frustration with a vengeance. Cumberland has somewhere in the mid 30s and there's still almost 4 minutes left.
Cincy. …… Lookin' Good !!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

UCF in as a 9 against VCU, for a shot at Duke in round two (three).
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Belmont/Temple as a play-in game. 11 seed facing Maryland if they win.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

LSU a 3 seed against Yale. Go Bulldogs!

Sorry I know this is a AAC thread. :angel:
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Woof Woof :!: :!:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

My best buddy is a Yale B school grad. That’s why I’m pulling for Yale. :wink:
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

TUPF wrote:My best buddy is a Yale B school grad. That’s why I’m pulling for Yale. :wink:
Do they get the win if the cheaters succeed, only to have the win vacated? similarly, does the SEC lose any tournament money when all of their victories, including any luck they might have in March, are vacated?
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

AAC gets 4 teams in, same as the Big East, and at the same time gets kicked out of "Power 6" status by the CBS crew (who lists the 5 P5 leagues and the Big East as their Power 6).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Plus UM and WSU in NIT. So >50% of MBB teams made one of two top tourneys. New Tulane coach will have work to do.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote:AAC gets 4 teams in, same as the Big East, and at the same time gets kicked out of "Power 6" status by the CBS crew (who lists the 5 P5 leagues and the Big East as their Power 6).
ESPN has been listing the AAC as a P7 in basketball all year. CBS tends to be a follower these days, so maybe next year that'll change.

As I said in an earlier post, it would be great to see one or more teams playing on the second weekend this year. We should be producing Sweet 16 level teams regularly. Houston is the most complete and capable squad this year, although Cincy is a threat when Cumberland is rolling. Not as confident in UCF or Temple, but maybe they can pull an upset or two.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:Belmont/Temple as a play-in game. 11 seed facing Maryland if they win.
Then LSU/Yale winner. It would be nice to have an AAC team take out our buds up river but Temple has some work to do first. Plus no doubt Yale thinks circumstances give them a chance for an upset.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Well Yale and Houston are probably both screwed because Seth Davis took Yale to beat LSU and Clark Kellogg took Houston in the Final Four. Getting picked by those guys is like the kiss of death... :razz:
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Temple goes out to Belmont last night. I didn't really expect them to make a run, but for league purposes it would've been nice for them to get a win. It's up to Houston/Cinci/UCF now.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cincy one and done to Iowa. Big 10 is 6-0 and AAC is 0-2.

It’s up to UCF and Houston.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Houston wins big. UCF up 10 at half over ice cold VCU, and they looked dominant at times with Tacko Fall on the floor but were able to rest him a lot in the first half.

Meanwhile, over in the NIT, 3-seed Memphis got bounced by 2-seed Creighton.

Hey, um, UConn women won! 8)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

UCF has convincing win. I liked VCU's defense but at one stretch they did not score for 10.5 minutes. (Not a typo.) Maybe two AAC teams make it to next week?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Baywave1 wrote:UCF has convincing win. I liked VCU's defense but at one stretch they did not score for 10.5 minutes. (Not a typo.) Maybe two AAC teams make it to next week?
Lol
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

gerryb323 wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:UCF has convincing win. I liked VCU's defense but at one stretch they did not score for 10.5 minutes. (Not a typo.) Maybe two AAC teams make it to next week?
Lol
Here is a guy who has put his self-esteem on the line and is not laughing. So why should we? Not quite Namath/Super Bowl III but it's close. Sure a UCF win would be a similar large upset but it's doable. I'll pull for UCF as an AAC team.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-bas ... yd1t56p0rf

Tacko ain't Marek Dolezaj. Let's see who bounces off of whom when Zion tries to go through Tacko.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

One thing is for sure, the media will be drooling over the discussion of it pregame.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Meanwhile props to WSU. They are onto NIT semis in New York after beating Furman, Clemson and Indiana (last night in front of a very large crowd) all on the road. Too bad about UCF's bad ending against Duke but AAC is a very good MBB conference. Hunter will be challenged. I don't think Dannen could have flipped him to CUSA.

P.S., USF is still alive in pay-for-play post-season as it has made it to semis of CBI. Loyola Marymount is next.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Houston eliminated in a close game against Kentucky. So the AAC is out but at least one conference mate made the Sweet Sixteen this year.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Houston eliminated in a close game against Kentucky. So the AAC is out but at least one conference mate made the Sweet Sixteen this year.
Houston is snakebit and Duke has karma. No one said the world is a fair place. Now onto whether Sampson leaves or not? We should have that answer in a few days.

I hope he stays since Hunter has called him out. A little coach's WWE matters when your team just threw up an 0-fer in conference.