Caleb Daniels apparently transferring

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
FW
Cornerstone

Re: Caleb Daniels apparently transferring

Post by FW »

There are like 450 names in the transfer portal, including Alabama's entire team (almost). If Daniels leaves (I don't want him too), hopefully Hunter can hit the portal and just rebuild for right now (which is not good for the long run) and then start recruiting the "normal" way.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:
NJwave wrote: I have mixed feelings on whether to strongly encourage guys to leave. On the one hand, we need more talent. However, we recruited these kids and it would just feel wrong to run off one of our guys that has a 4.0 GPA.
Why?

And I say this as someone who has gotten a lot of flack for being 110% opposed to pulling scholarships in any sport based on on the field performance. If the player is trying hard and not causing off the field problems, then it's the coach's own darn fault for recruiting him, not the athlete's, and with a system largely stacked against the athlete, I think it's wrong to ever pull the scholly. And I've gotten a lot of flack for that.

But even I have no qualms with "strongly encouraging" someone to leave. If their talent level isn't where you want it. If you don't see them playing in the future. Make that abundantly clear. And then abundantly clear again. And offer to help the kid find a landing spot. Do everything you can to grease the way out the door because you aren't doing yourself OR the athlete any favors by pretending otherwise. If he wants to come to practice every day and bust his hind end to keep his scholly and get a Tulane decision, that's his decision. But "strongly encourage"...... pshhh....... I don't see any problem with that.
Well said prof. I can personally attest to players being lied to about their being giving opportunities to prove they can play. What many who have never been part of a D1 football program is that there are so many players and the observable talent and skill difference is so narrow between the 2nd and 5th person on the depth chart that many never get an opportunity.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ThePassWave
Senior

Post by ThePassWave »

I don't think there is a "normal way of recruiting" anymore. The NCAA has screwed up this sport so bad and is doing in football alsol
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

With Wood, Daniels and Crabtree entering the portal and Sehic turning pro, unless I am missing somebody I think we are currently at 7 players for next year. They are:

Ona-Embo
Walker
Ajang
Koka
Barrett
Zhang
Days
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

I’d be shocked if Ona Embo returned.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

angrywavedad wrote:I’d be shocked if Ona Embo returned.
Yeah lol I'd say no chance.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

why shocked? why no chance? based on what info? not criticizing...just haven't seen any concrete info anywhere.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I wonder what Hunter said in the meeting to Daniels and his father that immediately led to him putting his name in the portal. He was the only kid on the team you couldn't lose and Hunter couldn't convince him to stay. Daniels was the biggest recruit on Tulane's board.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tjtlja wrote:I wonder what Hunter said in the meeting to Daniels and his father that immediately led to him putting his name in the portal. He was the only kid on the team you couldn't lose and Hunter couldn't convince him to stay. Daniels was the biggest recruit on Tulane's board.
There’s not a single player on the roster worth losing sleep over.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

visualmagic wrote:
tjtlja wrote:I wonder what Hunter said in the meeting to Daniels and his father that immediately led to him putting his name in the portal. He was the only kid on the team you couldn't lose and Hunter couldn't convince him to stay. Daniels was the biggest recruit on Tulane's board.
On this we are in violent agreement. We won four games. Four.

I look at this as Perry Clark, Year Zero. If Hunter wants to hold dorm tryouts I say go for it.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Daniels will be missed. The rest are system players at this level, and if they can find a more suitable system so be it.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Look at who made NIT All Tourney Team. May Hunter be the guy who can figure out how to make our players winners at Tulane and not just a farm team for other successful programs as the last two incumbents appear to have done after uncovering these diamonds in the rough.

https://texassports.com/documents/2019/ ... f?id=13044
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:Look at who made NIT All Tourney Team. May Hunter be the guy who can figure out how to make our players winners at Tulane and not just a farm team for other successful programs as the last two incumbents appear to have done after uncovering these diamonds in the rough.

We gave Dylan some grief for leaving but it looks like he made the correct move for him.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

The only question you have to ask yourself is whether playing for MD, given MD's NBA connections and knowledge of what the NBA is looking for............would that have improved his chances to play in the NBA.

Selfishly, I would have loved to see him play with Frazier and Reynolds two years ago, he could have been a difference maker.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

TUPF wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Look at who made NIT All Tourney Team. May Hunter be the guy who can figure out how to make our players winners at Tulane and not just a farm team for other successful programs as the last two incumbents appear to have done after uncovering these diamonds in the rough.

We gave Dylan some grief for leaving but it looks like he made the correct move for him.
He looks happy

Victory is never permanent
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Sehic's stats this past season were as good...if not slightly better...than Dylan O's.
DO was 11 ppg; 7 Rebs; 31% from 3-pt and 44 pct from field overall.
Sehic closer to 12 ppg; 8 rebs; 30% from 3; and 45 pct overall.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

randymc wrote:Sehic's stats this past season were as good...if not slightly better...than Dylan O's.
Sehic was also like our 2nd and at time 1st best player. Dylan was maybe 3rd at UT
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Dylan O. was an average player
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

visualmagic wrote:

Except Daniels
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

randymc wrote:Dylan O. was an average player
Average for who? Not for Texas, where he lead the team in starts, rebounds, and steals, was 2nd in scoring, 3rd in mpg, and, for the more statistically inclined, led in win shares and was 2nd in box +/- and PER. You can make a credible argument he was their best player. Nor for Tulane, where he was basically our best player as a soph. He might have been an "average" player for Duke, but there's not a team in the country he couldn't have helped.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote:
randymc wrote:Sehic's stats this past season were as good...if not slightly better...than Dylan O's.
Sehic was also like our 2nd and at time 1st best player. Dylan was maybe 3rd at UT
And Texas played a much tougher schedule
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Per Jeff Goodman who seems to have the best connections in the transfer world, Daniels appears leaning towards Villanova. He points out the old Kerry Kittles tie from St. Aug (which may or may not actually matter).

Daniels, "is also considering Ohio State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Xavier, Georgia Tech, TCU, Iowa State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Nevada, and Seton Hall."

So,
1. Don't count on him returning, and
2. Who said he wouldn't have that many offers of significance?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

FW wrote:There are like 450 names in the transfer portal, including Alabama's entire team (almost). If Daniels leaves (I don't want him too), hopefully Hunter can hit the portal and just rebuild for right now (which is not good for the long run) and then start recruiting the "normal" way.
Do you mean you also hopes he leaves or hoping he doesn’t? :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:Per Jeff Goodman who seems to have the best connections in the transfer world, Daniels appears leaning towards Villanova. He points out the old Kerry Kittles tie from St. Aug (which may or may not actually matter).

Daniels, "is also considering Ohio State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Xavier, Georgia Tech, TCU, Iowa State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Nevada, and Seton Hall."

So,
1. Don't count on him returning, and
2. Who said he wouldn't have that many offers of significance?
So does Mr. Goodman identify anyone leaning to Tulane?
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »