Justin Ibieta

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Justin Ibieta

Post by tjtlja »

Justin Ibieta, QB from Country Day, appears to have visited Kentucky this past weekend. It also looks like we may have offered. Anyone close to the situation knows what sport or sports Justin will play in college?
Last edited by tjtlja on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Juan Ibieta

Post by TUPF »

Football?
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Justin
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Justin Ibieta

Post by sr »

long green wrote:Justin
Can we fix that BA's? Tks.
Last edited by sr on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

He's a decent pitcher too I recall us discussing I think maybe
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

sr wrote:
long green wrote:Justin
Can we fix that BA's? Tks.
Sorry about that you’ll
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

eSports
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

And while you're at it, remove the apostrophe from "Visitor's". Thanks.
:jerry:

Tangent on this tangent: I kid you not, the headline scroll on the local news here this morning was referring to something going on at a local university and referenced the plural of the male Greek groups as "Fraternity's". So not only are people incorrectly adding apostrophes EVERY-FRIGGIN-WHERE these days, but some adult, whose job is to write news headlines to scroll on TV, doesn't even understand the plural usage of "-ies". My third grade daughter had that in school a month or two ago and she understands it completely.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:And while you're at it, remove the apostrophe from "Visitor's". Thanks.
:jerry:

Tangent on this tangent: I kid you not, the headline scroll on the local news here this morning was referring to something going on at a local university and referenced the plural of the male Greek groups as "Fraternity's". So not only are people incorrectly adding apostrophes EVERY-FRIGGIN-WHERE these days, but some adult, whose job is to write news headlines to scroll on TV, doesn't even understand the plural usage of "-ies". My third grade daughter had that in school a month or two ago and she understands it completely.
I was going to be the jerk who pointed that out :)
In fairness, the word replacement software on Therese (these) phones can get kinda won't (wonky).
(Original words left for emphasis)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:In fairness, the word replacement software on Therese (these) phones can get kinda won't (wonky).
Is that you, Prof? 8)

For Christmas one of my stocking stuffers was a T-shirt with the caption “I am silently correcting your spelling, punctuation, and grammar.” And yes, I am a devotee of the Oxford Comma.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:In fairness, the word replacement software on Therese (these) phones can get kinda won't (wonky).
Is that you, Prof? 8)

For Christmas one of my stocking stuffers was a T-shirt with the caption “I am silently correcting your spelling, punctuation, and grammar.” And yes, I am a devotee of the Oxford Comma.
I saw cartoon that showed a grave marker saying "Here lies the inventor of Autocorrect; may he restaurant in peaches."
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

tjtlja wrote:Justin Ibieta, QB from Country Day, appears to have visited Kentucky this past weekend. It also looks like we may have offered. Anyone close to the situation knows what sport or sports Juan will play in college?
JUAN, his dad, was the best athlete growing up in Chalmette. Even as a 8-12 year old in summer camp you could tell he was going to be something more than just a kid playing sports. He was ALWAYS the first pick in any sport, when picking teams. I'm not sure Brockhoff really used him effectively, but not criticizing.

Justin seems to be just in that mold, and to boot, his mother Julie Stempel (CD volleyball coach) was equally a high school and college star athlete.

And from what I've heard, sis Jenna did well as a freshman for the Wave, but not sure of her exact stats.

Let's hope the family connection and legacy of a Tulane education has some sway!
Bring home da Wave!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote:He's a decent pitcher too I recall us discussing I think maybe
He can hit too
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Justin Ibieta

Post by tjtlja »

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

talented guy. Tulane is recruiting him very hard with reasonable chance of success. Obviously we are a long way to finish line.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I say this with peace and love [Ringo Starr voice]...Ibieta is a BIG project. That's not a knock on him, either. It's a product of playing so many sports and a lack of strength and conditioning program.
He's only played two years of football and is a long way from competing physically. It's a testament to the kid's natural talent that he's been able to be this good at all 3 sports. He's going to need time to develop his body to the point where he can take a pounding, improve his arm strength and improve his speed. Not to mention, he's going to need time to learn more about playing the QB position. You're accepting his signature knowing he likely won't be a factor for 2 years or more. If you take him, you also have to take another kid (either via transfer or another freshman) who can be ready to play immediately if necessary. This is a HUGE year for QB recruiting and we need 2 (if not 3) preferably with staggered levels of experience (i.e.- 1 grad transfer, 1 undergrad transfer and a HS QB).
This one belongs to the Wave.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

TU23 wrote:I say this with peace and love [Ringo Starr voice]...Ibieta is a BIG project. That's not a knock on him, either. It's a product of playing so many sports and a lack of strength and conditioning program.
He's only played two years of football and is a long way from competing physically. It's a testament to the kid's natural talent that he's been able to be this good at all 3 sports. He's going to need time to develop his body to the point where he can take a pounding, improve his arm strength and improve his speed. Not to mention, he's going to need time to learn more about playing the QB position. You're accepting his signature knowing he likely won't be a factor for 2 years or more. If you take him, you also have to take another kid (either via transfer or another freshman) who can be ready to play immediately if necessary. This is a HUGE year for QB recruiting and we need 2 (if not 3) preferably with staggered levels of experience (i.e.- 1 grad transfer, 1 undergrad transfer and a HS QB).
Well I look forward to all the posts about Ibieta's strengths and why he earned his four stars if and when LSU offers him. :mrgreen:
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

There's a lot to like about him for sure. Great size, smart, doesn't panic when play breaks down, accurate on the run. Almost all of his deficiencies can be solved by more experience, more time in the weight room and more coaching.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

He's worth a scholarship in football, especially if he can pitch for the baseball team. Hope he doesn't start after a red-shirt year like a certain someone who CJ was enamored over. Although, he could run out of trouble and throw the ball. :green wink: :mrgreen:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It is by no means certain that this kid is worthy of a priceless (for us, this year, at QB) scholarship. Not yet, anyway. Anyone saying he is is just talking out of his hat. I would go so far as to say that getting him on campus this summer should be a priority, along with several other QB prospects, including some other local guys. Oh, and baseball ability should play NO PART WHATSOEVER in evaluating any QB prospect. Should it be disqualifying? No.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:It is by no means certain that this kid is worthy of a priceless (for us, this year, at QB) scholarship. Not yet, anyway. Anyone saying he is is just talking out of his hat. I would go so far as to say that getting him on campus this summer should be a priority, along with several other QB prospects, including some other local guys. Oh, and baseball ability should play NO PART WHATSOEVER in evaluating any QB prospect. Should it be disqualifying? No.

Sorry but why shouldn't being a potentially decent multi-sport athlete matter? That's what I respect about Fritz. He clearly is within reason willing to use his relatively larger football resources to help other sports at Tulane.

One other issue here: Tulane football is recruiting Ibieta very hard. Some of us here are rooting for it to succeed because Ibieta is a local Tulane athletic legacy on multiple levels. Regardless of that, why is Fritz pursuing him so hard if this guy is such a project? This isn't being driven by the fans. It's coming from Wilson building.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
long green wrote:It is by no means certain that this kid is worthy of a priceless (for us, this year, at QB) scholarship. Not yet, anyway. Anyone saying he is is just talking out of his hat. I would go so far as to say that getting him on campus this summer should be a priority, along with several other QB prospects, including some other local guys. Oh, and baseball ability should play NO PART WHATSOEVER in evaluating any QB prospect. Should it be disqualifying? No.

Sorry but why shouldn't being a potentially decent multi-sport athlete matter? That's what I respect about Fritz. He clearly is within reason willing to use his relatively larger football resources to help other sports at Tulane.

One other issue here: Tulane football is recruiting Ibieta very hard. Some of us here are rooting for it to succeed because Ibieta is a local Tulane athletic legacy on multiple levels. Regardless of that, why is Fritz pursuing him so hard if this guy is such a project? This isn't being driven by the fans. It's coming from Wilson building.
Your starting QB has to be a full time FB player, it's too important a position. Same goes for a guy needing experience...he'll get that experience in spring practice.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Your starting QB has to be a full time FB player, it's too important a position. Same goes for a guy needing experience...he'll get that experience in spring practice.
So says Kyler Murray, Jameis Winston, Russell Wilson...
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

So says Kyler Murray, Jameis Winston, Russell Wilson...
If Ibieta is that good, he can play whatever he wants and just show up on Saturdays. Though even Kyler Murray, Heisman Trophy winner and #1 overall NFL draft pick, didn't play baseball last summer after signing with the A's. Anyway, I'm operating under TU23's post that he needs a lot of work...that's not going to happen if he's playing baseball. Not to mention the inevitable TJ surgery if he pitches.