2019 NCAA Tournament thread

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament thread

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:Duke or no Duke, three out of four Elite 8 games were close, dramatic, exciting finishes. Two OT games. The Sweet 16 had some good ones as well.

Really made up for the first weekend, which (as well as I can remember) didn't have a single buzzer-beater. Were the any? Seemed like they were all blowouts, or games where the underdog got within like 5 in the final three minutes but never was able to get within a one-possession game at the very end. In the few times it was a "last possession" game (i.e., Duke/UCF) it seemed like they were all misses.
Amazingly, Auburn should have lost their first game! Remember the foul on the 3 when they were up 2 and the dude bricked 2 of 3 free throws?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:I'm sad Duke lost, but happy Duke lost. The miracle Zion!
Go UVA (my chance to win the bracket pool!)
Duke was lucky to be even playing in that game thanks to the non-calls on ZW.
My wife had fun counting the non-calls on Ty Jerome in the UVA game. He fouled out twice according to her!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:Image
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

gerryb323 wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Image
Alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright!
Bring home da Wave!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Pete Thamel at Yahoo put out a somewhat condescending article today basically saying this final is a disaster in terms of styles and lack of name brands. Combined with losing one and done talents in a couple of years he is predicting the downfall of college basketball.

I personally think this matchup is great. Two new teams instead of the same old blue bloods. A guaranteed new championship winner. And I notice the college game didn't suffer for the decade before one and done when Garnett and Lebron and a few others went pro out of high school. If this is what future tournaments will look like, sign me up.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Pete Thamel at Yahoo put out a somewhat condescending article today basically saying this final is a disaster in terms of styles and lack of name brands. Combined with losing one and done talents in a couple of years he is predicting the downfall of college basketball.

I personally think this matchup is great. Two new teams instead of the same old blue bloods. A guaranteed new championship winner. And I notice the college game didn't suffer for the decade before one and done when Garnett and Lebron and a few others went pro out of high school. If this is what future tournaments will look like, sign me up.
I agree. Loving this matchup. Haven't all the college basketball writers been writing about how the one and dones were ruining the game? Can't have it both ways. There may be an influx of of high schoolers to the NBA at first, but their relative lack of success/drafting will curb that after a bit.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

The sports writers are just sad because not having big name individuals to spend a few days covering means less easy stories to write. "Aw, man, I actually have to research these guys' names?"
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Unread post by angrywavedad »

PeteRasche wrote:The sports writers are just sad because not having big name individuals to spend a few days covering means less easy stories to write. "Aw, man, I actually have to research these guys' names?"
This is it exactly. No canned narratives to rely on.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Pete Thamel at Yahoo put out a somewhat condescending article today basically saying this final is a disaster in terms of styles and lack of name brands. Combined with losing one and done talents in a couple of years he is predicting the downfall of college basketball.

It's a glorious self-own. Thamel should be ecstatic that he has a new apple to polish in Chris Beard.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:The sports writers are just sad because not having big name individuals to spend a few days covering means less easy stories to write. "Aw, man, I actually have to research these guys' names?"
This is it exactly. No canned narratives to rely on.
I'm sure ESPN will spend at least half an hour discussing who they think Zion would pick to win the title, and how Zion wouldn't have double-dribbled nor fouled a three point shooter.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Some network sports guy was saying the other day they would televise Duke’s practices if they could :lol:

And seems like almost everyone had MSU in the final if not winning it all. Another dream gone a glimmering
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Well if people didn't watch, they missed a great game
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by pearlriverwave »

no 4 or 5 star players on texas tech team
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:Well if people didn't watch, they missed a great game
Indeed. I was working but checking the score on my computer and it was close almost the entire way. Finished work with about 2 minutes to go and a 1-point game and was able to watch the remainder.