UCLA hires Mick Cronin from UC for hoops coach

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
randymc
President's Circle

UCLA hires Mick Cronin from UC for hoops coach

Post by randymc »

next coach carousel watch becomes who will be head man for the Bearcats. Other openings include St. Johns (most likely Chris Mullins is out) and BYU.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la- ... story.html
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Re: UCLA hires Mick Cronin from UC for hoops coach

Post by angrywavedad »

randymc wrote:next coach carousel watch becomes who will be head man for the Bearcats. Other openings include St. Johns (most likely Chris Mullins is out) and BYU.
Wow. Can’t believe a pro legend like Chris Mullins couldn’t get it done at the college level.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Congrats, you beat every single news outlet including all the local ones here. Only mention of it per Google right now is the LA Times.

Will be interesting to see who UC targets.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

angrywavedad wrote:
randymc wrote:next coach carousel watch becomes who will be head man for the Bearcats. Other openings include St. Johns (most likely Chris Mullins is out) and BYU.
Wow. Can’t believe a pro legend like Chris Mullins couldn’t get it done at the college level.
TUPF wrote:I’ll say one thing. I’m done with former pro coaches slumming it down to coach the college game. Or coaches trying to use philosophies that work great if you have pro athletes. Scelfo with his pro sets. CJ with whatever the hell it was he was doing. Dunleavy and his man to man requiring 4 star athletes. There’s a reason most colleges don’t go anywhere near these things.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

various reporters on Twitter (jon rothstein, evan daniels) now saying word from UCLA is that Cronin will be paid $4 million a year over six years of his contract...a total of $24M.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

angrywavedad wrote:
I don't know any particulars on their roster/etc., but at least they improved every year under Mullins including a Tournament appearance this year. Definitely not as good as they were under Lavin though.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

randymc wrote:various reporters on Twitter (jon rothstein, evan daniels) now saying word from UCLA is that Cronin will be paid $4 million a year over six years of his contract...a total of $24M.
It takes a lot to get a west-side Cincinnati boy to leave his hometown. 8) (similar to what Louisville had to pay Chris Mack to do the same)

First hot-take name for Cincinnati is the coach of Northern Kentucky, which coincidentally is the school where UC played their entire 2017-18 season while their on-campus arena was renovated. Campuses are only a few miles apart, though separated by the Ohio River. NKU's coach is a fairly hot name in the carousel and would bring a lot of local-fan goodwill because he is from around here. And heck, he wouldn't even need to move his family.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

TUPF wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
TUPF wrote:I’ll say one thing. I’m done with former pro coaches slumming it down to coach the college game. Or coaches trying to use philosophies that work great if you have pro athletes. Scelfo with his pro sets. CJ with whatever the hell it was he was doing. Dunleavy and his man to man requiring 4 star athletes. There’s a reason most colleges don’t go anywhere near these things.
Mullins never coached in the NBA - only an exec.
Bring home da Wave!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

There were reports that Rick Barnes would love to leave UT for Westwood; all of a sudden he announced that he was not going anywhere. I wonder if some incentive or three was proposed to keep her in Knoxville... :angel:
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

AO Sig wrote:There were reports that Rick Barnes would love to leave UT for Westwood; all of a sudden he announced that he was not going anywhere. I wonder if some incentive or three was proposed to keep her in Knoxville... :angel:
Honestly I think Barnes just used UCLAs interest to get a raise, which he deserved since Tennessee had arguably their best year in school history. UCLA is willing to pay, but at this point it's not a markedly better job than Tennessee who is also willing to pay
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:UCLA is willing to pay, but at this point it's not a markedly better job than Tennessee who is also willing to pay
Plus UCLA is a train wreck and West coast basketball, outside of Gonzaga, isn't what it was a decade or two ago (or five 8))
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

ml wave wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
I don't know any particulars on their roster/etc., but at least they improved every year under Mullins including a Tournament appearance this year. Definitely not as good as they were under Lavin though.
*Mullin
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Seeing rumors that Frank Martin will leave South Carolina for the UC job.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

angrywavedad wrote:Seeing rumors that Frank Martin will leave South Carolina for the UC job.
That would be interesting. South Carolina should have deeper pockets than Cinci so either they dont want him any more or he views Cinci as a superior option
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:...so either they dont want him any more...
Not wanting a coach one year after he took them to the Final Four would be a very "SEC Football" thing to do...

If he came here to Cincinnati I wonder if he'd bring Perry Clark along with him.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:...so either they dont want him any more...
Not wanting a coach one year after he took them to the Final Four would be a very "SEC Football" thing to do.
That's why they waited 2 years :lol:
But I can't imagine that's it. Also, Martin makes about $800k more per year than Cronin did and has a $12.6 million (!!!) buyout.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Maybe UC has a mystery donor willing to shoulder that burden so they can return to their former glory? That's a lot of dough. Meanwhile South Carolina may have their eyes on somebody else they can get at a good deal?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Maybe UC has a mystery donor willing to shoulder that burden so they can return to their former glory? That's a lot of dough. Meanwhile South Carolina may have their eyes on somebody else they can get at a good deal?
You're looking at $16 million year 1 at minimum. Did UCLA even pay that for Cronin?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

1)Frank Martin has explicitly said he isn't going to UC

2) UC probably is a better spot than USC, who has an uphill battle in the SEC given their recruiting situation

3) USC is a school, at least when I lived there (2002-2007) where Women's basketball was a bigger deal on campus than men's, and baseball was far bigger than any basketball. That might factor. Fourth fiddle isn't that much fun.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:USC is a school, at least when I lived there (2002-2007) where Women's basketball was a bigger deal on campus than men's, and baseball was far bigger than any basketball. That might factor. Fourth fiddle isn't that much fun.
I'm sure that's generally true but I bet the Final Four gave men's hoops a bump, even if only for a couple of years.

Regardless,
WaveProf wrote:Frank Martin has explicitly said he isn't going to UC
... this is probably true. That buyout is insane.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I forgot South Carolina made a final 4 That probably did shift things since I lived there (though I’d also point out the women’s team won the NC 2 years ago)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

South Carolina aseball has also won two national titles since you were there Prof. I'm sure the final four appearance increased interest, but I would definitely believe that mens basketball is back in the pack with women's basketball and baseball
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:South Carolina aseball has also won two national titles since you were there Prof. I'm sure the final four appearance increased interest, but I would definitely believe that mens basketball is back in the pack with women's basketball and baseball
Yes, baseball was much bigger than any basketball even then, so I'm sure the 2 national titles only strengthened that.