2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by Fan Since '54 »

"Its all about the Cup". This year the playoffs begin on Wednesday, April 10, with most of the contenders beginning that day. Can the Caps repeat? Uh, maybe. Can any team beat the Lighting, who had, by far, the best team in the regular season? The playoffs last until early June, and it takes 16 wins (4 in each round) to hoist the trophy. In any case it's gonna be a hard fought and exciting. Do you have a "horse in this race"? Mine is the Pens, as most everyone here knows. So tune in and watch the battle for "the best trophy in sports."

Oh, and we probably won't be enjoying any posts by Windywave, as his team, the Blackhawks, failed to make the playoffs. Sorry Windy. :(

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:"
Oh, and we probably won't be enjoying and posts by Windywave, as his team, the Blackhawks, failed to make the playoffs. Sorry Windy. :(
Yeah, that's why :dots:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Lightning are amazing and deserve to win the cup. Their regular season is one of the greatest all time.

That said, Go Preds!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

sadly, regular season dominance doesn't necessarily predict post season success

the graveyard is littered with President trophy winners who failed to hoist the chalice of Lord Stanley... but Tampa is indeed scary good. They are motivated by spitting up the bit last season when they were clearly the best of the four remaining teams.. almost like Virginia's motivation this year after being the first to lose to a 16 seed as a 1 seed.

As far as my Bruins are concerned.. the positive is Toronto has a brain fart against them every year despite having way more talent... the negative is Toronto can figure it out at any time and Boston won't have the ability to stop it... but neither team is getting past round 2.. which is sad. Hopefully they restructure the playoffs next year so that they re-seed after round 1.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

This is sorta related, sorta not related. Windy's Blackhawks did not make the playoffs, but they did scoop up the 3rd selection in the first round of the '19 entry draft. Should get a "more than just good" player at that spot.

Fan since '54

AKA

Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:This is sorta related, sorta not related. Windy's Blackhawks did not make the playoffs, but they did scoop up the 3rd selection in the first round of the '19 entry draft. Should get a "more than just good" player at that spot.

Fan since '54

AKA

Big Easy Pens Fan

yeah, the Jack Hughes sweepstakes goes to the Devils... Colorado has to be bummed since the Ottawa pick had the best odds for number one.. but they will still end up with a good player at number four!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

boy did the Lightning drop a deuce after the first period... wow
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:This is sorta related, sorta not related. Windy's Blackhawks did not make the playoffs, but they did scoop up the 3rd selection in the first round of the '19 entry draft. Should get a "more than just good" player at that spot.

Fan since '54

AKA

Big Easy Pens Fan

yeah, the Jack Hughes sweepstakes goes to the Devils... Colorado has to be bummed since the Ottawa pick had the best odds for number one.. but they will still end up with a good player at number four!
Is Ray Shero and the "Devils" making some sort of deals with the (real)
Devil. 2nd time in 3 years they have had the first pick. :roll:
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Fan since '54

AKA

Big Easy Pens Fan

Is Ray Shero and the "Devils" making some sort of deals with the (real)
Devil. 2nd time in 3 years they have had the first pick. :roll:
If you had watched them play, this would come as no surprise....
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Tampa down 3-0 in game 2. Ruh roh
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

and Nazim Kadri once again decides to take a playoff vacation... if a non violent guy like Kucherov gets 1 game, Kadri gets 5 for his cross check to the head of Jake Debrusk

Boston took Toronto behind the shed last night.. if they had done that in game 1 as well, the series would not be coming back to Boston.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Columbus has literally never won a playoff series and they are about to go up 3-0 on one of the most dominant teams ever. Playoffs don't always decide the best team imo, but they sure are exciting.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Columbus has literally never won a playoff series and they are about to go up 3-0 on one of the most dominant teams ever. Playoffs don't always decide the best team imo, but they sure are exciting.
Among the things Skip Carey would blurt out to callers who would annoy him on his pre-game show.. "that's why they play the games, sir".. it was probably the most poignant. My comment about the playoffs being littered with failed President's Trophy winners was not hyperbole.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

And the Isles are up 3 games to none on the Pens and the way the Isles are playing, and the way the Pens are playing, this series may just end tomorrow. :cry:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Columbus has literally never won a playoff series and they are about to go up 3-0 on one of the most dominant teams ever. Playoffs don't always decide the best team imo, but they sure are exciting.
Jackets went all-in at the trade deadline even though they weren't even a shoe-in to make the playoffs. Looks like it might pay off. Getting past the first round will feel like winning Stanley Cup :-D
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

Jackets with the sweep!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Well if you're going to win your first playoff series that's a heck of a way to do it. Part of me will always hate when 4 games outweighs what a team did over 82. Nobody will remember how dominant the Lightning were this year. But this is exactly why playoffs are so popular across sports. You never know what will happen!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Although it sounds like a loser's lament, Cooper's explanation the team was a victim of its own success isn't far off. Mentally, they haven't played a meaningful game in a couple of months... they were on cruise control... you cannot just "turn it back on" like that to "playoff intensity". Columbus also knew exactly how to slow down the Tampa offense with their forecheck. Throw in the fact Tampa feasted on power plays during the regular season and Columbus had 6 total penalties in the series, and you see how Tampa didn't score any goals.

I don't think Columbus gets past round 2 no matter whom they play.. they still have Tortorella behind the bench.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Johnny Mac wrote:Although it sounds like a loser's lament, Cooper's explanation the team was a victim of its own success isn't far off. Mentally, they haven't played a meaningful game in a couple of months... they were on cruise control... you cannot just "turn it back on" like that to "playoff intensity". Columbus also knew exactly how to slow down the Tampa offense with their forecheck. Throw in the fact Tampa feasted on power plays during the regular season and Columbus had 6 total penalties in the series, and you see how Tampa didn't score any goals.

I don't think Columbus gets past round 2 no matter whom they play.. they still have Tortorella behind the bench.
You have to think the Bruins, Caps, and Islanders all feel like their paths to the finals just became wide open. Had Tampa Bay been able to get rolling they would have been tough to stop, as they were all season, but credit to the Jackets for throwing them off their game. And you're 100% correct, once rattled they never got their mojo back.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:Although it sounds like a loser's lament, Cooper's explanation the team was a victim of its own success isn't far off. Mentally, they haven't played a meaningful game in a couple of months... they were on cruise control... you cannot just "turn it back on" like that to "playoff intensity". Columbus also knew exactly how to slow down the Tampa offense with their forecheck. Throw in the fact Tampa feasted on power plays during the regular season and Columbus had 6 total penalties in the series, and you see how Tampa didn't score any goals.

I don't think Columbus gets past round 2 no matter whom they play...they still have Tortorella behind the bench.
You have to think the Bruins, Caps, and Islanders all feel like their paths to the finals just became wide open. Had Tampa Bay been able to get rolling they would have been tough to stop, as they were all season, but credit to the Jackets for throwing them off their game. And you're 100% correct, once rattled they never got their mojo back.
Well, if they think that way, their path just became more difficult. You can't think "Well, now we can go on cruise control to the finals". 3 of those 4 will be disappointed. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The Preds have been ousted, so that's another year with no titles for Tennessee. Guess I can focus on baseball now.

Meanwhile, this is shaping up to be a truly strange playoff. The top seeds in both the East (Lightning) and West (Flames) have been knocked out in the first round for the first time ever. The Preds were the top seed from their division and the Capitals, regular season winners of their division, are in a must win game 7 against the Hurricanes. If the Caps lose, then the top seeds from all four divisions will have been eliminated in the first round. Weird.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:The Preds have been ousted, so that's another year with no titles for Tennessee. Guess I can focus on baseball now.

Meanwhile, this is shaping up to be a truly strange playoff. The top seeds in both the East (Lightning) and West (Flames) have been knocked out in the first round for the first time ever. The Preds were the top seed from their division and the Capitals, regular season winners of their division, are in a must win game 7 against the Hurricanes. If the Caps lose, then the top seeds from all four divisions will have been eliminated in the first round. Weird.
I'm still in shock about the Predators. I haven't followed closely enough to know if it was injuries or what that cost them against Dallas. People need to sit up and realize that teams like Colorado and St. Louis are scary right now. Some might argue Columbus fits in that group, as well. As long as Tortorella is coaching them though, I will never take them seriously.

I don't see Carolina winning in DC. Boston/Toronto is a coin flip. I think the Sharks take out the Golden Knights.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:The Preds have been ousted, so that's another year with no titles for Tennessee. Guess I can focus on baseball now.

I'm still in shock about the Predators. I haven't followed closely enough to know if it was injuries or what that cost them against Dallas. People need to sit up and realize that teams like Colorado and St. Louis are scary right now. Some might argue Columbus fits in that group, as well. As long as Tortorella is coaching them though, I will never take them seriously.

I don't see Carolina winning in DC. Boston/Toronto is a coin flip. I think the Sharks take out the Golden Knights.
Boston Toronto have been winning on the road in this series. Boston always seems to have one more in them vs Toronto though, for whatever reason.
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

Blue Jackets’ practice game draws 5,500 fans, and keeps playoff buzz humming

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/2019042 ... zz-humming
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Never quit. Never ever quit. Sharks are the best sports example for a certain team of green. Also a reminder how nothing matches the intensity of 7th game OT Stanley Cup hockey. Nothing.

I attended the Southeastern game last night and then watched the Sharks-Knights. If I were Jewett, I would just hold practice today in the video room and all I would do is show videos of last half of 3rd period and then OT. Best example of Never Ever Quit, I can recall in decades. I did not go to bed depressed for Tulane.